U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM

4,276 posts, read 3,678,475 times
Default 24 Hour Land

A comment in another thread reminded me of something that has always irritated me....the 9pm closing time.

Most stores close at 9pm. This is insane. In Atlanta, it's not even dark yet at 9pm much of the year! I assume that stores have done their research and figured out the best times to close based on business being conducted, but most times when I am at a store near closing time, they make their little announcement that they are about to close, then everyone hurries to the front to make their purchases.

So wouldn't common sense dictate that if you are having to kick out shoppers you are closing too early?

Anyway, I came up with my own little idea for a a development. I call it 24 Hour Land. The idea is if you want to be in 24 Hour Land, you have to, well, be open 24 hours.

My theory is a city the size of Atlanta could support a 24 Hour Land. Rembmer back in the day there was a 24 hour Home Depot? I'm not sayihng every Home Depot should be open 24 hours, but we could have at least one. Even if you're 30 miles away, you might be in the middle of a project and really need that one part.....you're willing to drive to 24 Hour Land at midnight to get it!

I would envision 24 Hour Land having mainly instances of existing stores. It could house a 24 hour Home Depot, a 24 hour Publix, maybe a 24 hour Petsmart (you could find a flea on Rover at 2am!), but basically anywhere that felt like they wanted a 24 hour presence. The key is, 24 Hour Land would be a single destination, so you don't have to hunt around trying to figure out which location is open late. If you need something from a store and that store is in 24 Hour Land, no guessing, come anytime and get what you need.

To keep 24 Hour Land active, it would need a 24 Hour movie theater, 24 hour restaurants, maybe even (GASP!) a 24 hour bar.

I don't know if it makes business sense, but it just makes sense to me. There are ton of people who work odd hours, not just emergency room doctors and vampires. There are tons of places that have 24 hour staffs nowadays, and even more that have people that work non-traditional hours.

I thnk the time for 24 Hour Land is now.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM

7,253 posts, read 3,933,415 times
Kroger at Edgewood Retail District is open 24/7.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:37 PM

I understand that there are a few 24 hour places like Krogers and some Wal-Marts.

I'm talking about putting them all in a single go-to place.

And a freaking 24 hour Pep Boys or other auto store and mechanic!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,513,064 times
I've noticed a lot of Kroger stores are no longer staying open 24 hours. Which doesn't really bother me, since I detest Kroger.

However, a 24 hour Publix would be magical.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,519,184 times
Kroger in Grayson is 24 hrs

Old 04-26-2012, 03:32 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,360,360 times
By the way its like this in every city in America to include Vegas, New Orleans, NYC. Go down Canal St in NYC at 9:01pm and see how many stores are open or go to the malls in Vegas at 10pm and see how many of them are open. Most of the places in New Orleans close at the same time unless you are in the French Quarter. You need to get out and travel more. People say NYC is a 24 hour city and that's BS. Try going to a Broadway Play, trying going to the top of the Empire State Building, going to the bank, etc at 3am and see if they are open or not. Try going to most of the restaurants outside of Times Square and a few other locations and most of them close at 9pm.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 04-26-2012 at 03:41 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 04:05 PM

179 posts, read 216,075 times
There are quite a number of 24 hr businesses in the metro Atanta are. First, as has already been mentioned, Kroger is open 24/7 except for early Sunday mornings; Many CVS never close (even open Christmas Day); how could we forget Waffle House?. Also, the drivethrough at the Starbucks at Paces Ferry and 285 is open 24/7 and is the only 24 hr Starbucks in the metro.

As far as your asking about Home Depot being open all night, they tried it at their Buckhead and Vinings stores about 10 years ago or so and found it wasn't worth it. There may be some Wal-Marts in the far out burbs which are open 24/7 as most of their Super Centers in the rest of the country are. Also, keep in mind that Macy's stores are open until 10 PM on Thursday, Friday and Saturday Nights and are open extended hours in the weeks before Christmas. In fact in many areas of the North East, they have stores which are open 24/7 in the two weeks before Christmas.

The bottom line is that those businesses which will find it profitable and don't have significant security concerns will be open later hours.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 PM

Are you guys even reading what I'm writing, or just skimming it and making willy nilly comments?

I know there are 24 hour businesses scattered around Atlanta. What I'm saying is it would be neat if they were all concentrated in a single destination so you'd have one place you could go for all of your 24 hour needs.

As was mentioned, there are some cities that have areas like this. The French Quarter, the Las Vegas Strip, Times Square. They may not be 24 hour, but they do have late night districts where you can find more open after 10pm than just bars. Even many of the businesses in downtown Disney and International Drive in Orlando keep late hours.

Old 04-26-2012, 04:15 PM

282 posts, read 169,055 times
I think downtown would be a good area for this. It could even help to revitalize the area. What about also adding 24 hour transit within this area? Once activity picks up of course.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:09 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,371,596 times
Ideas like this and my pedestrian sky tubes don't get the recognition they deserve.

I think its a great idea.

Unforch, the suits in the ivory tower are cutting back positions in current business hours. I don't think they would be receptive to this idea because it would serve so few people and they'd probably get held up constantly.

The only reason krogerz stays open is because there's people there anyway stocking the shelves. Have you ever been in a kroger at night? It's a pig sty. Boxes of products strewn about the place , laying in the floor of the aisles etc.

Publix doesn't stock the shelves in the middle of the night like krogerz does.

Aside from medicine to help an upset tummy, and ice cream which is available at 24 hr pharmacies and convenience stores, what can't you just wait for until the store opens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta