Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 PM

747 posts, read 1,543,807 times

Advertisements

Are we all sure that the zoning code doesn't require active uses at the ground level of parking decks? Isn't this what the Midtown Alliance advocates for all day long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Are we all sure that the zoning code doesn't require active uses at the ground level of parking decks? Isn't this what the Midtown Alliance advocates for all day long?
I thought it did require active uses at street level, but I gather people are saying that isn't the case here for some reason.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Did you really just ask this question?

Why do YOU think that developers might resist such moves? I'll let you answer this question, because to me it is ridiculously obvious.
I guess I'm missing the obvious but I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about real estate development.

My assumption is they have planned the project based on the number of units they think the market will absorb. If that's the case, it seems like you could get about the same number of units in a shorter but wider building. Is that not how it's done?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I'm guessing maybe it is because it is way more expensive.

Maybe if developers have to do this, they won't develop at all. In this market, it's risky to even construct something, so anything that would make generating a profit more difficult might make the development simply not happen.

I don't like visible parking decks either. But I like undeveloped intown land even less. So if it's a choice between having to build a deck or not develop at all, I'd rather have a deck. I really don't have that big of a problem with it when it isn't visible from the main street, like how they did Metropolis.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:02 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
As many of you have pointed out, you're against the above ground parking deck. We're in agreement here.

Above ground parking decks are one of many reasons why Atlanta will never be a walkable city. The parking decks create dead space where there should be another residential or commercial building with retail on the ground level.

Everyone gets uber-defensive when I criticized Atlanta's urban core in another thread, but yet there is agreement that this parking deck is detrimental to creating urban density. Low density also prevents mass transit from realizing its full potential. All of this contributes to a poor urban core.

This complete lack of foresight by the city, caving into developers trying to cut corners and costs, is pathetic.

Does anyone else think the Atlanta urban core isn't that bad at all?
Because whether or not they build the building or how ever they build the building that area is and will still be walkable. Atlanta core zonning is not that off that it isn't walkable. Posters are upset because it could better.

Atlanta - Google Maps

Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM

725 posts, read 1,278,850 times
Buildings could always be renovated in the future if the demand is their. Look at that one building next to 191 downtown, for the longest time it was an unsightly concrete block but it has been renovated with a nice pedestrian friendly facade with street leval retail...and windows.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Why not compel them to build in such a way that the parking structure is not prominent and street-side (e.g., integrated into the building structure behind street-level retail, or partial underground parking, etc.)?
Perfect example of a parking garage with ground floor retail is the Terminus office complex in Buckhead.terminus - Google Maps

Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm guessing maybe it is because it is way more expensive.

Maybe if developers have to do this, they won't develop at all. In this market, it's risky to even construct something, so anything that would make generating a profit more difficult might make the development simply not happen.
Ding ding ding!

Here is something I found on the subject: (How Much Will an Underground Parking Garage Cost? « OpenCdA)
Quote:
Surface parking costs about $1,500 per space and you can fit 100 to 120 spaces per acre, depending on how generously sized the spaces are. In contrast, the cost of a parking garage runs $8,500 to $10,500 per space and can go as high as $15,000 per space. If you decide to put in an underground garage, count on double to triple that amount.
I agree there can be a better way of integrating parking into the designs, but below ground seems cost prohibitive. However, I agree that something needs to be done to keep Midtown from becoming like downtown.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 AM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Because whether or not they build the building or how ever they build the building that area is and will still be walkable. Atlanta core zonning is not that off that it isn't walkable. Posters are upset because it could better.

Atlanta - Google Maps
Having parking garages is just like having a parking lot. Both are dead spaces that offer no interaction to passers-by. Dead spaces decrease the walkability score.

Perhaps you go to cities to visit parking lots. People are strange that way.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I agree there can be a better way of integrating parking into the designs, but below ground seems cost prohibitive. However, I agree that something needs to be done to keep Midtown from becoming like downtown.
Agreed. If underground parking is cost prohibitive, then I'd vote for above ground decks with active uses at street level. As hilly as this town is, there's ought to be opportunities for using grade differences in creative ways as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta