Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
The plan has my vote. I'm willing to sacrifice for the good of the Atlanta "Region". We may not benefit from every project directly, but we should all benefit indirectly. There should be no "us vs. them" when it comes to Atlanta and its suburbs. We are in this together, and it's about damn time we started acting like it!

Hell, I also wish we could have one regional transit system instead of MARTA, CCT, GRTA, etc. Road planning should be done cooperatively as well. Otherwise you get (for example) a system where four lane roads that narrow down to two as you cross borders, and other short-sighted and inefficient transportation management.

A big reality of much of Atlanta's problem is the lack of arterial roads that can move enough volume to make jumping on the freeways unnecessary. I find myself using the freeways because there are usually no good alternatives even after factoring in the traffic on said freeways.

There should also be NO reason that to get from Buford to Cartersville that it is faster to go South on 85 to 285 just to go back North on 75. GA-20 should be 4 lanes wide minimum the whole way. Hell, a northern arc should have been built as well, but everyone killed it because of the sprawl fears (even though the sprawl happened ANYWAY without the arc). But that's a different topic for a different day.

The time to work together is NOW. We can no longer be divisive in our attitudes and thought processes. This is the very same crap I witnessed living in Detroit. The suburbs fell right along with Detroit. Oakland County in Michigan, which directly borders Detroit, was at a time one of the richest counties in the USA.

Detroit surburbs developed a disdain for ANY project or cooperation that had to do with Detroit, and they are now in the crapper with Detroit as well. "Us vs. Them" or the "what's directly in it for me" does not work. Cooperation and collaboration does. We all suceed together, or we fail together.
Detroit...interesting. I must study this more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 01:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Quote:
This is the very same crap I witnessed living in Detroit. The suburbs fell right along with Detroit. Oakland County in Michigan, which directly borders Detroit, was at a time one of the richest counties in the USA.

Detroit surburbs developed a disdain for ANY project or cooperation that had to do with Detroit, and they are now in the crapper with Detroit as well. "Us vs. Them" or the "what's directly in it for me" does not work. Cooperation and collaboration does. We all suceed together, or we fail together.
Could it be that a lot of Detroit's issues have more to do with the auto industy's issues, rather than the "us vs. them" mentality? While it may not help, I don't know that there's necessarily a causal relationship between the road/transit system there and Detroit's current situation.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM

561 posts, read 780,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Could it be that a lot of Detroit's issues have more to do with the auto industy's issues, rather than the "us vs. them" mentality? While it may not help, I don't know that there's necessarily a causal relationship between the road/transit system there and Detroit's current situation.
I was more speaking toward Surburb vs City cooperation issues in general for the greater good of a region for Detroit. Road/Transit and auto industry issues up there are a separate issue altogether that could take years to discuss fully in a thread!

Old 05-08-2012, 02:20 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,137 times
Birmingham/Jefferson county had a similar conflict and that was catastrophic. I reached a low point when I found myself in the new county parking deck measuring the spaces to ensure county workers didn't have larger spaces than city workers. *smh* I think Jefferson county recently went bankrupt, but I don't know the details.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:59 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Birmingham/Jefferson county had a similar conflict and that was catastrophic. I reached a low point when I found myself in the new county parking deck measuring the spaces to ensure county workers didn't have larger spaces than city workers. *smh* I think Jefferson county recently went bankrupt, but I don't know the details.
Jefferson County, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EPA regulations and the required sewer work (and subsequent bond issue) bankrupted the county.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:30 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
EPA regulations and the required sewer work (and subsequent bond issue) bankrupted the county.
Didn't have something to do with the county getting involved with some very risky Wall Street debentures?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,154,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Quote:
I was more speaking toward Surburb vs City cooperation issues in general for the greater good of a region for Detroit. Road/Transit and auto industry issues up there are a separate issue altogether that could take years to discuss fully in a thread!
Hmm. I do know that Detroit has a VERY strong suburb-vs-city mentality. Interesting to see that it could have played a pivotal role in metro Detroit's collapse. Seems like we have some of those same forces at work here, possibly except for the declined auto industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Wow. Just, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Jefferson County, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep, the EPA took down Birmingham! Trolololololol

Old 05-08-2012, 07:19 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,137 times
Quote:
Yep, the EPA took down Birmingham! Trolololololol
Nope. It took down Jefferson county. Trust me, you never, EVER want to confuse the two. Things get ugly if you do.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,409,298 times
Will be voting yes.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Didn't have something to do with the county getting involved with some very risky Wall Street debentures?
There was massive corruption under Larry Langford that led to a lot of this. The guy was a crook, but that is par for the course with most big city, mayors elected by uneducated voters. It is amazing what many cities will vote into office. Thankfully this crook is rotting away on a 15 year sentence.

Last edited by gtcorndog; 05-08-2012 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta