U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM

4,951 posts, read 3,993,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Nope. It took down Jefferson county. Trust me, you never, EVER want to confuse the two. Things get ugly if you do.
Ah. Right. It was the EPA's fault!!1!!1!!!!111
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 AM

83 posts, read 88,796 times
Default Voting yes!

I will be voting yes. Its the best we have right now, but I'm extremely disappointed in the State Reps that punted this year after year eventually pushing it off to voters to absolve themselves of any responsibility for any tax increase ala pledge to Grover (drown government in a bathtub) Norquist. The fact that leaders of the region were actually able to cobble together a list and unanimously pass it is in and of itself a remarkable achievement and showed real leadership for which they deserve kudos because some of them are going to have angry voters to face because of it. Sometimes leaders have to do things that are right rather than popular. I just wanted to also throw out some facts that have been either misrepresented of just plain falsified. I keep seeing this 5% figure for people who use transit in the Metro. That number is wrong. The correct number per the last census is 11.43% and thats just on MARTA and does not count suburban transit agencies. Also, MARTA has over 400,000 trips a week avg (http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Documents/Ridership/2011-q3-ridership-APTA.pdf)
If this does not pass, there will be draconian cuts to MARTA...just think if 2% of those transit riders are forced to drive...you think traffic is bad now...just do the math on that one

Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM

3,546 posts, read 2,306,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpatl4now View Post
I will be voting yes. Its the best we have right now, but I'm extremely disappointed in the State Reps that punted this year after year eventually pushing it off to voters to absolve themselves of any responsibility for any tax increase ala pledge to Grover (drown government in a bathtub) Norquist. The fact that leaders of the region were actually able to cobble together a list and unanimously pass it is in and of itself a remarkable achievement and showed real leadership for which they deserve kudos because some of them are going to have angry voters to face because of it. Sometimes leaders have to do things that are right rather than popular. I just wanted to also throw out some facts that have been either misrepresented of just plain falsified. I keep seeing this 5% figure for people who use transit in the Metro. That number is wrong. The correct number per the last census is 11.43% and thats just on MARTA and does not count suburban transit agencies. Also, MARTA has over 400,000 trips a week avg (http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Documents/Ridership/2011-q3-ridership-APTA.pdf)
If this does not pass, there will be draconian cuts to MARTA...just think if 2% of those transit riders are forced to drive...you think traffic is bad now...just do the math on that one
2% of the metro population would be another 100,000 cars on the road.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,405,918 times
Yes and anyone voting no is stupid

Old 05-15-2012, 11:16 AM

83 posts, read 88,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
2% of the metro population would be another 100,000 cars on the road.
um actually 2% 0f 400,000 is 8,000...but that is still a lot of extra cars...and thats only MARTA riders. I was referencing existing MARTA riders entering the freeways

Old 05-15-2012, 01:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpatl4now View Post
um actually 2% 0f 400,000 is 8,000...but that is still a lot of extra cars...and thats only MARTA riders. I was referencing existing MARTA riders entering the freeways
The key word is Metro population.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM

175 posts, read 176,004 times
Default A Penny Aint Enought but its a Start!!

To vote No fo this bill would be transportation suicide if you will...Anyone opposed to a ONE PENNY tax Should move outta america becu we pay a whole lot more on taxes for evrythin else...This bill would be a greatstart o actually doing something about the horrid traffic and lack of transit down here...Although I think a more Aggressive approach shouldve been use here for Atlanta...Like how about 1$ instead of one penny...We could do Wayyyy More in the same amount of time and see a whole lot more bang for our buck...Imagine if we could fund a full buildout of commuter rail AND support georgias love affair with road expansion projects...Evryone would almost guarantee a yes vote in All counties...I just dont think a penny goes far enough considering so much has to be done Transit wise...But again this bill is definitely a good start and it will getthe Metro Area thinkin as a Region Instead of Indivduals...Show your love for the City and. state on July 31 Folks!!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:35 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,422,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
To vote No fo this bill would be transportation suicide if you will...Anyone opposed to a ONE PENNY tax Should move outta america becu we pay a whole lot more on taxes for evrythin else...This bill would be a greatstart o actually doing something about the horrid traffic and lack of transit down here...Although I think a more Aggressive approach shouldve been use here for Atlanta...Like how about 1$ instead of one penny...We could do Wayyyy More in the same amount of time and see a whole lot more bang for our buck...Imagine if we could fund a full buildout of commuter rail AND support georgias love affair with road expansion projects...Evryone would almost guarantee a yes vote in All counties...I just dont think a penny goes far enough considering so much has to be done Transit wise...But again this bill is definitely a good start and it will getthe Metro Area thinkin as a Region Instead of Indivduals...Show your love for the City and. state on July 31 Folks!!!!
It's not a penny sales tax. It's a 1% sales tax which equals to one penny on every dollar spent. So if I spent $100, they would tax me an additional dollar for the transportation splost.

Taxing an additional dollar per every dollar spent would essentially double the cost of everything bought in the metro area. A $50 grocery bill would turn into a $100 bill after tax. A $20 movie would then cost $40. Etc. It would fail miserably. Most individuals can't afford that.

Having said this, I am all for the 1% sales tax for transportation!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:40 PM

444 posts, read 782,053 times
I'm on board. As I mentioned before, the nice thing about this referendum is that because it is a one cent sales tax, both us who live here in the ATL metro, and those who non-residents who are traveling through share the cost. It's not like it's being attached to property taxes, where we would be footing the bill alone, while everyone else benefits from it.

It's far from a perfect plan, but it's a least a start. As an owner of a courier company, I see first hand the traffic issues that ALL of Metro Atlanta has. We have to do a better job of thinking, planning, and behaving as a region. Doing nothing at all is simply not an option.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM

28,137 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
Anyone opposed to a ONE PENNY tax Should move outta america becu we pay a whole lot more on taxes for evrythin else...
Well, I'm going to vote for the bill but it seems a little misleading to refer to it as a "one penny" tax. The figures I've seen say it comes out to around $200 per person per year.

I'm still interested in hearing how this works for those of us who live in Fulton and DeKalb. Will this be on top of the 1% sales tax we're paying for MARTA? We've already been paying that for 40 years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or