U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:46 PM

208 posts, read 344,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Interesting perspective. I hadn't thought about it in quite the same way. Thanks for the enlightened insight.

To me, intelligent people can disagree, but to me, dissent can be a mark of thoughtful review and intelligence, and to look at the plan as a whole and not to just have a knee jerk reaction is essential. To me, the substance is important, as is the plan itself, and voting no doesn't make me stupid.
Exactly. These people are voting yes to the extremely dumbed-down basic thought that atlanta transportation needs upgrade. If you read through this forum this elementary basic assumption is the crux of the debate. Hardly anyone has the mental capacity to critically think about the actual projects of the bill, and debate accordingly. This is like being a first grade teacher your whole life.

Im no fan of the people who run inner city atl or marta either. Most white owned firms dont even BOTHER bidding since they know you gitta have brown skin to get a contract for atlanta city or marta.

Ignorance sure is bliss. I wish i had an idealistic view that things were all good in georgia...but the fact that most people are ignorant is WHY georgia is such a haven for corruption.

Seriously though, i think the populace puts too much credence in the planners and people in charge. The transportation planners of georgia are some of the most corrupt in the nation. Were talking about a state where the most "progressive" transportation project in 30 years was the 17th street bridge. That bridge is not only a joke but it was designed and built by the cronies who politic their way through life. Heres a reality check: it shows in the designs they make! You cant hide incompetance! I had the unfortunate mistake of working for some of these people, so i know many of them personally, and they are worse in person than what you read.

Last edited by cityfilms; 06-17-2012 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 01:16 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,123,836 times
Quote:
Interesting perspective. I hadn't thought about it in quite the same way. Thanks for the enlightened insight.

To me, intelligent people can disagree, but to me, dissent can be a mark of thoughtful review and intelligence, and to look at the plan as a whole and not to just have a knee jerk reaction is essential. To me, the substance is important, as is the plan itself, and voting no doesn't make me stupid.
No neil...the TSPLOST is essentially a stupidity test.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:03 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,525,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
No neil...the TSPLOST is essentially a stupidity test.
Please don't call the people supporting it stupid. The mods won't like it. People can have different opinions, and I respect that. They're not stupid for supporting a poorly thought out plan, just misguided.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Please don't call the people supporting it stupid. The mods won't like it. People can have different opinions, and I respect that. They're not stupid for supporting a poorly thought out plan, just misguided.
Um...ok...then it's an intelligence test!

Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,525,614 times
Quote:
Um...ok...then it's an intelligence test!
Exactly.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,266,049 times
Wow... this place is just the bastion of maturity.

Make a point fellas... don't make people lose respect for you.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:58 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,612,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

Way to add some value to the discussion with your well articulated two lines of brilliance.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,612,847 times
Quote:
And that's to improve its chances of passing. A euphemism to make it more palatable to taxpayers.
Correct.

Calling it what it is, a 10-15% (depending on the county) sales tax increase wouldn't sound good.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post

Oh...lighten up. This is a forum of armchair city planners.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,180,310 times
Quote:
They need to hit home on the areas targeted for improvements or buy billboards space near the potential sites.
Like the electronic billboard that has the Untie Atlanta Traffic at Spaghetti Junction? If it doesn't pass can we put a billboard up at the same location mocking those sitting in traffic that voted no?
I think the ads need to clearly display the projects in each county and target the ads for each individual county. Eg: Commercial or billboard at 285/400 talking about the complete remake of the interchange. That way while people are sitting in traffic they can see what will be on list, really get the people thinking.
I have had to distribute the list to people at work because they had no idea what was on the list. All they knew was money for MARTA and roads plus an addition 1% sales tax. That is the half-ass truths that the tea party and any anti-tax groups are spreading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or