Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times

Advertisements

FromGA, I have thought about it. The hurly-burly of city life can be fun but it also takes a toll. It wouldn't bother me to find 30-40 acres somewhere and set up a little facility to look after mistreated critters. I think my grandkids would like that and it would suit me to make it available to other city kids who don't get as much opportunity to interact with the natural world. They could come out and spend a day or even a week or two and I'd put 'em to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
FromGA, I have thought about it. The hurly-burly of city life can be fun but it also takes a toll. It wouldn't bother me to find 30-40 acres somewhere and set up a little facility to look after mistreated critters. I think my grandkids would like that and it would suit me to make it available to other city kids who don't get as much opportunity to interact with the natural world. They could come out and spend a day or even a week or two and I'd put 'em to work!
Wow...where do I sign up?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 PM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Quote:
Do it, but please in steps. I remember reading about a well to do family that bought land in the North GA mountains to take care of ex-circus bears or something like that. And then the economy went south.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanks very much, FromGA, that is good advice.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM

Here's an article that talks about some of the forward-thinking moves Mableton is making. Rock on, Mableton!

Quote:
Where are some of the cities that you are working now that are being proactive about retrofitting suburbs and repairing sprawl?

Mableton in Cobb County, Georgia, a typical suburban community near Atlanta, is writing a form-based code that applies the ideas of the Sprawl Repair Manual and SmartCode Module, with an eye toward multigenerational living and lifelong communities. The most important thing is to ensure the currently high numbers of aging residents are able to stay there.

A new town center is shaped out of existing parking lots, making streets more walkable. We’re allowing single-family housing to expand into front yards. Public spaces are carved from leftover land. The senior facility, instead of being a conventional mega-structure, is fully integrated into the community, with a series of smaller scale buildings that can serve a number of demographics.

The new code will be an economic catalyst because it’s creating a predictable development environment with incentives for faster approval and risk reduction. During the Mableton charrette, people were clear that they want a place where they can walk, as today it is dangerous and auto-centric. If the private sector provides pedestrian environments through new projects, then it will be a win-win situation for everyone. The master plan and the code were sponsored by the County, and hopefully Mableton will become a regional model.

Monkey see, monkey don’t: Economic development as a whole new animal

Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
Quote:

Kids in Atlanta don't need this. There is plenty of suburb and sprawl to sooth the "call of the wild" here. You don't have to go far to hit woods. Plenty of green.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,639,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I have noticed that Atlanta has about the worst snobbery when it comes to city vs. suburbs and I think it's silly. There isn't all that much difference between the two in my opinion. Both sides are obnoxious about it but I have to hand it to the ITP hipsters who think they're clever by always mentioning Applebees and The Olive Garden in their putdowns of OTPer's. People live where they live for many different reasons and the cool or hip factor is usually the least important for anybody older than 25 and with any sense.
I agree. There isn't that much difference between the two. It's not like (intown) Atlanta is a city that never sleeps, which I am fine with but there is no reason for the snobbery. I moved down from NYC to the Vinings area, and I am perfectly satisfied with the energy out here. Actually Cobb Pkwy normally has more activity than Peachtree, which is a sad commentary on inner-city Atlanta (we have to do better folks). I love Atlanta, so I am not complaining. I guess if I was overly concerned about the cool hip factor, I would have stayed in my tiny ***** apartment in NYC.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:59 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,117 times
It is also true that those that move from the suburbs of bigger metro area to ITP Atlanta tend to pick up on this 'tude and run with it. It's as if they always wanted to live such lifestyle but until they moved to Atlanta they were not able to afford the intown living. It's ultimately upto what you make of your living situation. You do not have to conform your lifestyle based on available retailers in your area. That would be silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I agree. There isn't that much difference between the two. It's not like (intown) Atlanta is a city that never sleeps, which I am fine with but there is no reason for the snobbery. I moved down from NYC to the Vinings area, and I am perfectly satisfied with the energy out here. Actually Cobb Pkwy normally has more activity than Peachtree, which is a sad commentary on inner-city Atlanta (we have to do better folks). I love Atlanta, so I am not complaining. I guess if I was overly concerned about the cool hip factor, I would have stayed in my tiny ***** apartment in NYC.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
the cool or hip factor is usually the least important for anybody older than 25 and with any sense.
Lol, because I am sure people in their 20s start popping out babies and buying homes when they hit 25 and still fresh out of college. What is this this 1960?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:40 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,448 times
For all the allegations that the ITP'ers are the ones that have the attitude, there sure seems to be a lot of smack talk around here against them. Just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
What part of Peachtree? Downtown? Yeah, it's dead at night. Midtown? More activity on Cobb Parkway, since when?? Buckhead? Same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta