U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 PM

14,592 posts, read 9,162,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
For all the allegations that the ITP'ers are the ones that have the attitude, there sure seems to be a lot of smack talk around here against them. Just saying.
That's what I thought he was saying. In Atlanta the vast majority of the money and power -- as well as the jobs and people! -- are in the suburbs. We humble townies are always grateful for the few crumbs we are able to scavenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:47 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,204,821 times
Quote:
For all the allegations that the ITP'ers are the ones that have the attitude, there sure seems to be a lot of smack talk around here against them. Just saying.
Stupid (or willfully ignorant) comments sometimes invite a vigorous response.

Quote:
What part of Peachtree? Downtown? Yeah, it's dead at night. Midtown? More activity on Cobb Parkway, since when?? Buckhead? Same thing.
Well, Doc's on Cobb Parkway is open until 4am. Not sure what else would be happening then.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Stupid (or willfully ignorant) comments sometimes invite a vigorous response.
Nobody who knows anything about the ATL would dis our marvelous suburbs. In many ways they have always been the heart and soul of our city.

By the same token, I don't really think it's fair for suburban residents to always look down their noses at us lowly urbanoids. Sure, we have our issues but we are working with what we've got and trying to make things better.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 3,682,985 times
I think it's a mixed bag.

The suburbs have all the 24 hour Wal-Marts (ones in the city close at midnight for some unknown reason) and there are more things like McDonalds that are open 24 hours. Places like that. Yeah, I know it's just Wal-Marts, McDonalds, and other big box chains that many ITP'ers would be mortified to visit....but when you're hungry at 3am or need that wire nut or wrench to turn off your water supply at 4am, they sure are convenient to have.

On the other hand, ITP has many more bars and pubs who keep their kitchens open until 1 or 2am.

It is definitely true, though, that if you roll down Peachtree at 2am on Tuesday night, the carpets are pretty much rolled up. You are bound to find more open businesses on streets like Cobb Parkway or Pleasant Hill, and I think that's what was meant by the comment.

In order to be a truly international city, we need a district where things stay open late, like the 24 Hour Land that I proposed. Sure, you can find those things if you know where to look and go down Ponce or Cheshire Bridge, but I think the idea is that there should be some kind of district or heart of the city that never sleeps.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 AM

9,913 posts, read 14,204,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Nobody who knows anything about the ATL would dis our marvelous suburbs. In many ways they have always been the heart and soul of our city.

By the same token, I don't really think it's fair for suburban residents to always look down their noses at us lowly urbanoids. Sure, we have our issues but we are working with what we've got and trying to make things better.
I agree. And I love parts of the City of Atlanta, just as I loved parts of the City of Minneapolis. However, I wouldn't want to live in either one for many of the very same reasons.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

The suburbs have all the 24 hour Wal-Marts (ones in the city close at midnight for some unknown reason) and there are more things like McDonalds that are open 24 hours. Places like that. Yeah, I know it's just Wal-Marts, McDonalds, and other big box chains that many ITP'ers would be mortified to visit....
Are you kidding, ATLTJL? What makes you think ITP folks don't go to Walmart and McDonalds?

We may roll up the sidewalks early here in the city but we still drive to the same places everybody else does.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 PM

4,280 posts, read 3,682,985 times
Well, I know I did when I lived in Buckhead. It wasn't uncommon for me to drive up to the Windward Parkway Wal-Mart at 1am to do some cheap shopping.

But a lot of the posters on this board seem like they wouldn't be caught dead anywhere other than a tiny local store with a compost pile in the back that marks everything up and is open Tues-Thurs from 11a-4p. But, hey, you can walk to it, right?

Old 05-18-2012, 06:44 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,904,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Kids in Atlanta don't need this. There is plenty of suburb and sprawl to sooth the "call of the wild" here. You don't have to go far to hit woods. Plenty of green.
Yeah, but a good percentage of those woods in the suburbs are private property. ITP Atlanta does have a lot of unused green spaces that are practically untamed wilderness. The problem(aside from any ownership claims) is that wilderness is practically useless for recreation purposes. Most of the forests in that part of Georgia grow so thick with underbrush(kudzu anyone?) that hiking isn't very enjoyable. Clearing off some of that land would be a b*tch but it may be worth it. Maybe down the road the city can raze some more housing projects and maybe buy up some surrounding land to create more parks. I've been amazed at how well NYC pulls the urban oasis thing off in
the north end of Central Park and DC does an amazing job with Rock Creek Park and Dumbarton Oaks Garden. The old prison camp near Conley would be an amazing place to create something like those places and put a large plot of unused land to great use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Lol, because I am sure people in their 20s start popping out babies and buying homes when they hit 25 and still fresh out of college. What is this this 1960?
Well, a lot of people do but I guess I could have rephrased it to say that most people reach a certain age and realize that not everyone has the same priorities in life and basing your opinion of someone on which side of a highway they live on is stupid. I'd hope most people realize that by age 25.

Quote:

What part of Peachtree? Downtown? Yeah, it's dead at night. Midtown? More activity on Cobb Parkway, since when?? Buckhead? Same thing.
For such a "large" and influential city as Atlanta claims to be(and actually is in a lot of respects), the street life is pretty underwhelming and in some aspects depressing with all the homeless and clearly mentally ill people often outnumbering "normal" people on the streets. And ITP'ers are usually the ones claiming to be holier-than-thou in my opinion. I spent at least 75% of my time in the Atlanta metro ITP so I wouldn't say I'm biased against ITPers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

The suburbs have all the 24 hour Wal-Marts (ones in the city close at midnight for some unknown reason) and there are more things like McDonalds that are open 24 hours. Places like that. Yeah, I know it's just Wal-Marts, McDonalds, and other big box chains that many ITP'ers would be mortified to visit....but when you're hungry at 3am or need that wire nut or wrench to turn off your water supply at 4am, they sure are convenient to have.

On the other hand, ITP has many more bars and pubs who keep their kitchens open until 1 or 2am.

It is definitely true, though, that if you roll down Peachtree at 2am on Tuesday night, the carpets are pretty much rolled up. You are bound to find more open businesses on streets like Cobb Parkway or Pleasant Hill, and I think that's what was meant by the comment.

In order to be a truly international city, we need a district where things stay open late, like the 24 Hour Land that I proposed. Sure, you can find those things if you know where to look and go down Ponce or Cheshire Bridge, but I think the idea is that there should be some kind of district or heart of the city that never sleeps.
I remember reading something on here about a developer looking to make an area near Centennial Park "Times Square South." It would be kind of cool to have a 24 hour zone like that in Atlanta but a lot of things like crime and the homeless needs to be handled before enough "normal" people would feel comfortable hanging out in downtown Atlanta at 3:30AM. I don't think the city will have nearly enough guts or vision to pull something like that off anytime soon.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM

2,272 posts, read 1,256,391 times
Some people like living in town for its eclectic urban atmosphere.
Some people like living in the 'burbs for their cheaper standard of living.
Some people like living in the country because it's their way of life.

Different places to live are different. And those different from yours are typically going to get looked down on. I think this is really just a p*ss fight over who can goad the other side into belittling them more than the other way around, and then crying victim. Please, such pettiness. Can't we all just get along for a change?

Old 05-19-2012, 07:06 AM

Sandy Springs in talks about how to refashion downtown.

http://www.reporternewspapers.net/20...es_v210_6_2011)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta