Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
What's even more interesting is this map.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_counties.PNG

Note that Cobb, Cherokee, Forsyth, and Gwinnett are in the top 100 of income by county. Fulton and Dekalb are not.
Isn't our better urban developments in Fulton and dekalb counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Isn't our better urban developments in Fulton and dekalb counties?
Depends how you define better, and we're talking about suburbs, which by definition aren't urban....thank goodness.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:17 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
It just proves how ridiculous and biased some people are.

I mean, you could build Manhattan in Alpharetta and there would be certain posters on here that would gripe about it. Then you could put a McDonald's in Edgewood and the same people would champion it as pioneering urban development.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
The city of Roswell has been working with Andres Duany (one of the leaders of the New Urbansist movement) to develop plans for Historic Roswell

New Urban Roswell - Blog - Andres Duany Presents His Vision for Historic*Roswell

Old 05-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,242,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
I agree completely. I have lived in Dunwoody for 14 years and the Dunwoody/SS area for 15. It is cookie cutter. If we wanted something like this we would have moved further north.The city's ethics are also questionable by picking John Wieland (brilliant home-builders, but they were associated with a leak).

The area does need improvements, but I am not sure this particular plan is it. However, it is still better than the apartments that were planned.
Dunwoody and Sandy Springs need improvement?? Those two areas are more premium than discount already. Please advise.....

Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Dunwoody and Sandy Springs need improvement?? Those two areas are more premium than discount already. Please advise.....
Not the neighborhood referenced. Take a look at street view. Looks to be some run down strip malls right now.

I've lived at a Wieland project before (Olde Ivy in Vinings). Basically they carved out a gated community next to a Pilot truck stop (before much of that development around Atlanta Rd happened). Not a bad place but pretty much the same as every low-rise townhouse/condo that surround that area around Dunwoody. I recall attending a few auctions for similar properties around Cotillion Dr ~3yrs back. Good to see near-Perimeter development (meaning shorter commutes compared to exurbs) but not exactly world changing.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,117 times
I live in SS and I feel we need to improve (redevelop) a lot more than where we are at today. We have the good infrastructure in place already, so the work needs to further improve traffic flow and tilt the effort more towards general aesthetics. Plus, the county commission did a **** poor job of allowing all kinds of questionable developments before the city was officially formed.

Quote:

Old 05-09-2012, 09:36 AM

230 posts, read 492,637 times
Quote:
As others have said, go to google street view, especially Chamblee-Dunwoody north of 285. It looks like Doraville. This area used to have a lot of doctors offices, but over time many moved to pill hill, so the office vacancy rate is quite high. Also, a lot of apartments were built over the last decade. I would have preferred condos, but we can't change the past. Also, general aesthetics such as repaving, extending sidewalks, and planting some more tree will help. In other words, while other parts of Dunwoody prospered this area was left behind.

That being said, it looks like one of those new communities from Milton has been dropped in the middle of Dunwoody. They should at least try and make it fit in. Where are the people who were complaining about D.E.S?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Not the neighborhood referenced. Take a look at street view. Looks to be some run down strip malls right now.

I've lived at a Wieland project before (Olde Ivy in Vinings). Basically they carved out a gated community next to a Pilot truck stop (before much of that development around Atlanta Rd happened). Not a bad place but pretty much the same as every low-rise townhouse/condo that surround that area around Dunwoody. I recall attending a few auctions for similar properties around Cotillion Dr ~3yrs back. Good to see near-Perimeter development (meaning shorter commutes compared to exurbs) but not exactly world changing.
OK..I agree. I do think there is aways room for improvement.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
As others have said, go to google street view, especially Chamblee-Dunwoody north of 285. It looks like Doraville. This area used to have a lot of doctors offices, but over time many moved to pill hill, so the office vacancy rate is quite high. Also, a lot of apartments were built over the last decade. I would have preferred condos, but we can't change the past. Also, general aesthetics such as repaving, extending sidewalks, and planting some more tree will help. In other words, while other parts of Dunwoody prospered this area was left behind.

That being said, it looks like one of those new communities from Milton has been dropped in the middle of Dunwoody. They should at least try and make it fit in. Where are the people who were complaining about D.E.S?
Before I moved back to NYC, they were redoing/installing sidewalks on Roswell Rd. between Morgan Falls and Nothridge. That area you speak of is an older part of Dunwoody; going towards Shallowford Rd. I know the area. I do believe in beautifying the area as I still own my home there, but I dont like over developing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta