U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 PM

15,087 posts, read 9,828,472 times

Advertisements

It never would have occurred to my generation to complain about our parents and grandparents. I guess it's a new world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM

7,745 posts, read 10,031,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Let's not forget to thank Dubya Bush who magically turned surplus to deficit. He dug an enormous hole, and compromised our economy and way of living with his war-mongering. His corporate buddies looted America's coffers. Many don't understand how close we were to the brink of financial destruction. The current debt crisis was not created out of a vacuum. Thanks Dubya.
3.5 years later and still blaming Bush? To be clear, the surplus experienced during the 1990s was as a result of "the era of big gov't is over" policies advocated and passed by the Republican Congress and Pres. Clinton, who was pragmatic enough to realize that he could either do the right thing after the 1994 election or lose in 1996.

You are correct that Bush and the Congress from 2001 to 2009 went off the track with spending, although some of it was to face the new reality of fighting the war on terror, and to reinstate the deep cuts in our military that were instituted in the 1990s.

Even having said that, Obama and the wholly controlled Democrat Congress (2009-2011), and the split Congress with a Democrat controlled Senate (from 2011-2012), have still racked up more debt in 3.33 years than the entire 8 years of the Bush administration.

To blame the banking crisis on Bush is ridiculous. He, Clinton, and many in Congress like Frank and Dodd bear their share of responsibility. The Dems didn't want to take the appropriate measures to put the breaks on minority and other lending that didn't meet standards (so called sub-prime markets) because they liked the politically correct message it sent. Fannie and Freddie were allowed to put very risky policies in place.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,993,789 times
How does this make the suburbs more "sophisticated"? Don't see anything special about this development tbh. Just more suburban development Atlanta does not need.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM

1,250 posts, read 824,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It never would have occurred to my generation to complain about our parents and grandparents. I guess it's a new world.
You grew up during the golden age of the U.S. You should have been praising them.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
. The Dems didn't want to take the appropriate measures to put the breaks on minority and other lending that didn't meet standards (so called sub-prime markets) because they liked the politically correct message it sent. Fannie and Freddie were allowed to put very risky policies in place.

Yes, because black people caused the crash. They shouldn't have been giving blacks homes as they are all deadbeats and primal.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 PM

230 posts, read 221,899 times
Quote:
People used to have pride. We need to remember all the sacrifices they made so we could have a better life.

I see a lot of people blaming others for our current crisis, but hardly anyone initiates the reforms needed to secure a better future.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 PM

15,087 posts, read 9,828,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You grew up during the golden age of the U.S. You should have been praising them.
I see the new entitlement generation is getting its ducks in a row.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I see the new entitlement generation is getting its ducks in a row.

We are entitled to a ***** economy handed down by our parent/grandparents. How selfish of us.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 PM

4,390 posts, read 3,961,890 times
You are entitled to nothing.

Think about people born in the 30s and 40s. What were they given? A depression? A world war? Yeah, they sucked it up and brought the country into recovery in the 50s.

The world is what it is. Nobody "did it to you." In hindsight things could have always been done better, but nobody sat around saying, "how can we really screw the next generation?" It's not like they pressed the button and you were given a world riddled with radiation and fallout.

You got a bad economy. It happens. And you turned it into a good job, so what are you complaining about? That you got suburbs, too? It's not like you HAVE to live in the suburbs. If you like the city better, go live in the city. If Atlanta isn't walkable enough for you, move to New York. If you want to make Atlanta more walkable, become an activist. Become a real estate developer. Pretty much do anything aside from coming on the internet blaming everybody else for your problems.

By your name, I figured 2014 was your graduation date and you were some 19 or 20 year old college student. So I was willing to cut some slack. 26 really is too old, though, to be such a sniveling crybaby.

Quote:
"You don't have to be satisfied with America as you find it. You can change it"
- Upton Sinclair

Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,861,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
How does this make the suburbs more "sophisticated"? Don't see anything special about this development tbh. Just more suburban development Atlanta does not need.
I too did not see anything special in that article to say that Atlanta suburbs are getting sophisticated, or increasingly sophisticated.

arjay, could I ask you to defend the title to this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta