U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM

28,759 posts, read 25,566,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
According to your link it's actually

9,450.00 is the absolute highest and that likely would be for a high cost city like San Fran or NYC.
You guys are breaking my heart.

If you pull a B the government pays 90% of your tuition. So you'd wind up with a whopping $900 a year in personal obligations.

Brutal. Absolutely brutal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,514,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

If you pull a B the government pays 90% of your tuition. So you'd wind up with a whopping $900 a year in personal obligations.

I am from Alabama bro. A "A" or "B" didn't give you sh*t.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:00 PM

4,696 posts, read 3,086,006 times
Quote:
There's no mystery. As I said, just take the current tuition which is published on the University's website.

Then use one of the value-in-today's-dollars calculators on the web.

That works out to under $2,000, and I used that to be ultra generous.

From historical fact I know tuition and fees were actually about $450 a year. If you use $450, that works out to $9,450 in today's dollars -- which is exactly what current tuition is. In adjusted dollars tuition at our fine state universities hasn't changed.

People have always had the option to go elsewhere and spend more money. That's fine, and it may turn out to be a smart move.

However, it's erroneous to claim that going to a good college means you're going to have to take on immense debt. That's simply not true.

Even better, assuming you do your work and keep up a 3.0, your tuition costs will be under $1,000 a year.

I share your concern about the HOPE in the future -- it could be limited or possibly even eliminated. For now, though, it's still there.
Well, that's interesting. I used Alabama as a reference as they have all of their state schools' tuitions from 1993-2004 in a big grid, and because that's where I went to school. I didn't take the time to search for more recent data.

Even taking inflation into account using the Bureau of Labor Statistics' inflation calculator (so that I'm using 2004 dollars for all calculations), the minimum tuition raise was about 33%, the max was almost 97%, and the average was around 72%. That's in just 11 years.

As I went to Auburn, I dug up a little more data from there. I got through 2008, and tuition, taking inflation into account, was 133% higher than in 1993. That's a pretty big climb!

I don't buy that tuition is the same as it was decades ago.

Of course, this has nothing to do with the OP, so I'll give my thoughts on that: Looking at the development, I think it looks very nice. I'm actually a fan of well-planned subdivisions and I like the way this one looks.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,969,804 times
Quote:

Yes, b/c HOPE covers every kid in the US. HOPE covers about 240k students/yr while there are over 20M college students. It doesn't really matter if my neighbor accumulated their debt at UGA or a SUNY (or U of Phoenix). It's inescapable and threatens one's ability to build a stable future.

You speak as if HOPE is some infallible truth to affordable college when its existence is constantly in threat. Much like Social Security, HOPE has reached the tipping point where revenue can no longer meet obligations so the 90% thing is step 1 in falling further behind. In it's first few years HOPE covered about 1100/yr per student. That amt has grown an avg of 8%/yr (b/c of tuition growth) while the # students grows at 5.7%. That means the payout has had to avg 11.7% growth which it can't do any more. In a couple of years, HOPE will basically be a book fund as the state continues to cut funding (against a growing student population).

The state/country benefits when more than just B+ students go to college. Obviously there's a point where that last marginal kid really shouldn't go but college is generally where we've sent people to flush that out whether or not they're going to succeed or not. Proclaiming get a B and you get HOPE has already created rampant grade inflation where everyone in GA high schools have B averages so they've created Super HOPE for the achievers that honestly have other funding solutions.

I finished grad school last year so HOPE's shortfall hasn't been a factor for me for years. I've been very lucky to have had a favorable outcome after 3 degrees and (cut my student loan debt in half in a year). I realize most people are going to take on more risk for less reward than I managed. The overall impact of that much debt against the flattening income means people will stay in debt much longer when the actual quality/value of the education hasn't fundamentally changed. Just b/c I got out of the burning building doesn't mean I should barricade the fire exit behind me.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,225,961 times
Quote:

Georgia's HOPE scholarship is a program most states don't have. It would have been nice ... I would have been able to take full advantage of it.

In most states, students would have to pay full tuition. My own alma mater (Minnesota State, Mankato) is around $7500/year for in-state students in 2012, and the state university system is a fairly low-cost alternative in MN compared to most other institutions. That doesn't include housing costs, food, books, or other costs incurred while being a student. If you stay in the dorms and use the provided food plan, it's around $15,000/year.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 05-12-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 02:47 AM

4,124 posts, read 4,736,760 times
Quote:
The city of Roswell has been working with Andres Duany (one of the leaders of the New Urbansist movement) to develop plans for Historic Roswell

New Urban Roswell - Blog - Andres Duany Presents His Vision for Historic*Roswell
i didn't think i would, but i watched that whole darned thing. love it.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 AM

28,759 posts, read 25,566,718 times
A lot of folks in the suburbs are very progressive when it comes to planning. They're using form based codes, adopting the Complete Streets program, and including greenspace, trails and bike lanes.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:22 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,724,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I am from Alabama bro. A "A" or "B" didn't give you sh*t.
What about scholarships that you can earn, as was the case when I grew up and went to college? There are plenty of scholarships available for good students who are also good citizens.

In Georgia we are very lucky that we have one of the few scholarship programs in the country that rewards students based solely on academic achievement and pays a substantional part of the tutition. Most states, including all the northern states that everyone gives so much credit to on education, don't pay squat. Alambama isn't alone.

People in Georgia take HOPE for granted and don't realize how unique it is, and when the legislature and the Gov brought up last year that it could't keep on paying 100% and fees, and remain solvent, you heard the entitlement crowd complain. The Democrats alternative was typical class warfare, where they give the benefits only to low income people and put income caps in place, and remove the academic achievement qualifications which are the hallmark of the program.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 AM

2,047 posts, read 3,925,205 times
Quote:
What about scholarships that you can earn, as was the case when I grew up and went to college? There are plenty of scholarships available for good students who are also good citizens.
A lot of scholarship and fellowship money has dried up. The program I started grad school with lost its fundingbafter the first year and I was left high and dry. Great citizen, hard worker, no money. It was either fund it myself, or let a ehole year go to waste.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 AM

7,998 posts, read 13,238,662 times
Wow! As a former ATL-burb dweller(30 years), I took a look at the last 4+ pages of this thread(over 35 posts) and there's no mention of the suburbs . Don't y'all list threads by topic ?

Edit: I found a mention of the suburbs...just got smothered in all the tuition jibber-jabber.

Last edited by 10scoachrick; 05-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: 'cause
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or