U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 06:49 AM

22,984 posts, read 16,978,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Not sure where the Vinings/Cumberland development thread is, but this famous/infamous large ITP parcel:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8581.../data=!3m1!1e3

...has now broken ground, or at least site preparations going on, and signage. Slated for 2019 completion. It has a name now, too. But I forgot it.

I think it's only townhomes, though. I think. I believe all the other stuff that was planned (hotel, office, retail), was all taken out of the plan due to local opposition (traffic concerns I guess). At one point it was to include a grocery store. Guess not.

But maybe some of that is still in. Guess we'll see.
NIMBYs gonna NIMBY and prevent developments that actually provide people the ability not to drive for every errand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 09:49 PM

13,351 posts, read 16,513,203 times
ONLY IN PEACHTREE CITY ... would the closing of a beloved restaurant be front page news. Thai Spice at The Avenue PTC was forced to shut down last week after 15 years when mall management refused to renew their lease ( ). Channel 2 News even came down and did a LIVE REMOTE ( ) about all the angry customers “demanding answers” ( ).

Turns out the NEW tenant will be ... HIGHLAND BAKERY (who was willing to pay a lot more for the space than Thai Spice was paying). Now it all makes sense and PTC’s tennis and golf ladies are happy again and SUPER EXCITED!!!

Old 03-30-2018, 10:06 PM

4,695 posts, read 3,084,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
ONLY IN PEACHTREE CITY ... would the closing of a beloved restaurant be front page news. Thai Spice at The Avenue PTC was forced to shut down last week after 15 years when mall management refused to renew their lease ( ). Channel 2 News even came down and did a LIVE REMOTE ( ) about all the angry customers “demanding answers” ( ).

Turns out the NEW tenant will be ... HIGHLAND BAKERY (who was willing to pay a lot more for the space than Thai Spice was paying). Now it all makes sense and PTC’s tennis and golf ladies are happy again and SUPER EXCITED!!!
Surely there is another location that the restaurant could go???

Old 03-30-2018, 10:11 PM

13,351 posts, read 16,513,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Surely there is another location that the restaurant could go???
Yes ... which is what made the whole angst-ridden situation so ridiculous.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:49 AM

28,759 posts, read 25,566,718 times
Wonder how all this will affect the ATL?

Curbed Q&A: Real estate investor raps metro Atlanta’s ‘suburban renaissance’

Old 04-10-2018, 07:52 AM

806 posts, read 383,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
As long as these moving Millennials keep their jobs in the city, I guess it would increase the need for better rapid transit. Hopefully push the Atl to be something more than just commuter buses with shared logos.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 AM

9,849 posts, read 9,020,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
NIMBYs gonna NIMBY and prevent developments that actually provide people the ability not to drive for every errand.
Maybe they are simply trying to protect their neighborhood? I imagine that most of us would try to protect our neighborhood were a developer proposing to make large changes to it that we did not agree with. It's too bad that we use "NIMBY" in a manner to imply something derogatory.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Maybe they are simply trying to protect their neighborhood? I imagine that most of us would try to protect our neighborhood were a developer proposing to make large changes to it that we did not agree with. It's too bad that we use "NIMBY" in a manner to imply something derogatory.
You know who else was trying to "protect their neighborhoods"? Segregationist!

Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 AM

9,849 posts, read 9,020,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You know who else was trying to "protect their neighborhoods"? Segregationist!
And Fidel Castro tried to protect the Cuban Revolution, too, but that is simply an illogical comparison just like the segregationist comparison. Why impute evil intent on those that disagree with others simply because they are invested in their neighborhood and don't want it to be significantly altered? I think when it comes down to something we hold near and dear, we are all NIMBYs. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
And Fidel Castro tried to protect the Cuban Revolution, too, but that is simply an illogical comparison just like the segregationist comparison. Why impute evil intent on those that disagree with others simply because they are invested in their neighborhood and don't want it to be significantly altered? I think when it comes down to something we hold near and dear, we are all NIMBYs. Nothing wrong with that.
Showing how that same language was used to keep people out of areas because of their skin color. Always have to pick your words carefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or