U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 11:09 AM

10,268 posts, read 7,242,478 times

Advertisements

Big redevelopment plans submitted for Alpharetta's North Point Mall

Quote:
The Sears department store that closed in July will be removed, according to plans. A new project will rise in its place on about 14 acres, including 328 apartments and almost 30,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. It will create a new entrance to the mall with a community gathering space.

Plans also call for new green space and community connections. That includes a 2.5-acre plaza with Spanish steps. A new multi-use trail system for pedestrians and bicyclists would be built along the road that encircles the mall. There would also be community gardens and bicycle rental stations.
New retail project planned for Forsyth County

Quote:
A “large-scale” retailer is being eyed for a new project along Ga. 20 in Forsyth County.
Halvorsen Development Corp. of Boca Raton, Fla., is planning a nearly 13-acre project at 3530 Canton Highway in Cumming, an area not far from Free Home. The project would include more than 70,000 square feet of commercial space, including a 48,000-square-foot “large-scale retail establishment,” according to plans submitted in Forsyth County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:54 AM

1,765 posts, read 719,022 times
I'm curious to know who the retailers in Forsyth County could be.

Will have to do more digging later.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 AM

9,847 posts, read 9,018,120 times
Read in the paper this morning that a 135 court tennis facility is being built on Old Alabama Road. Supposed to be world’s largest. Maybe, now, we can attract a major tournament.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:02 AM

28,756 posts, read 25,561,489 times
Wow!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 AM

1,203 posts, read 941,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Read in the paper this morning that a 135 court tennis facility is being built on Old Alabama Road. Supposed to be world’s largest. Maybe, now, we can attract a major tournament.
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised something like this hasn't already existed in North Fulton, given the prevalence of swim/tennis subdivisions up that way.

Thinking about tennis facilities, I just had to look up the tennis venue in Stone Mtn used for the 96 Olympics, and saw that they started demolishing it just last week after sitting empty for 10 years.

Anyways, looking at the renderings on the AJC article linked below, it doesn't look like there's currently plans for a major tournament venue. Which isn't to say that there couldn't, or shouldn't, be.

https://www.ajc.com/business/roswell...bltUHYiDB5N4K/

Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised something like this hasn't already existed in North Fulton, given the prevalence of swim/tennis subdivisions up that way.

Thinking about tennis facilities, I just had to look up the tennis venue in Stone Mtn used for the 96 Olympics, and saw that they started demolishing it just last week after sitting empty for 10 years.

Anyways, looking at the renderings on the AJC article linked below, it doesn't look like there's currently plans for a major tournament venue. Which isn't to say that there couldn't, or shouldn't, be.

I'm surprised, too. Given the popularity of ALTA, T2, USTA and other leagues and the huge number of amateur tennis players in the metro, this is long overdue. Very nice gift this family is making to our community.

I agree with you - the rendering does not show stadium courts. I hope they'll have one. It sure is a shame that the Stone Mountain Olympic facility fell into ruins. Way back then, the USTA was going to repurpose the facility for tournament play. For some reason, that didn't work out.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:19 PM

1,641 posts, read 1,706,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post

This project is going to tear down 60 acres of forested parkland that is home to a collection of mountain bike trails and hiking trails. This is terrible news.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:41 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,082,442 times
Hopefully, this is more successful than the large tennis facility that already existed at Stone Mountain and was never used after the Olympics and left to rot. 135 courts seems a little overkill.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
This project is going to tear down 60 acres of forested parkland that is home to a collection of mountain bike trails and hiking trails. This is terrible news.
Hey, Atlanta is pretty good at destroying it's woodlands. I imagine, though, that the tennis facility will be a better use of the property than trails.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:34 PM

13,168 posts, read 21,529,812 times
Very smart move by North Point Mall. Somewhat similar to what Natick Mall did to stay current.

Only thing? For the apartment portion, instead of just apartments, I would make it a mix of condos, apartments, and a luxury hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or