U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-10-2018, 06:39 PM
 
13,237 posts, read 21,680,342 times
Reputation: 4346

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Read in the paper this morning that a 135 court tennis facility is being built on Old Alabama Road. Supposed to be world’s largest. Maybe, now, we can attract a major tournament.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Frankly, I'm a bit surprised something like this hasn't already existed in North Fulton, given the prevalence of swim/tennis subdivisions up that way.

Thinking about tennis facilities, I just had to look up the tennis venue in Stone Mtn used for the 96 Olympics, and saw that they started demolishing it just last week after sitting empty for 10 years.

Anyways, looking at the renderings on the AJC article linked below, it doesn't look like there's currently plans for a major tournament venue. Which isn't to say that there couldn't, or shouldn't, be.

https://www.ajc.com/business/roswell...bltUHYiDB5N4K/
Yes...A high school classmate of mine (now lives in Roswell, major tennis aficionados) posted this on Facebook early this morning.

I’m intrigued and excited by the concentration of clay courts. Good for Atlanta and for more tennis relevance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2018, 06:40 PM
 
13,237 posts, read 21,680,342 times
Reputation: 4346
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow!
arjay,

Is nothin’ on fire no more???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 PM
 
1,641 posts, read 1,717,030 times
Reputation: 1262
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...5PZVRZnWFi2pK/

The tennis center has been called off, due to community opposition. I think it will still happen in the area, but thankfully it won’t be leveling 60 acres of parkland, and Roswell will keep its bike trails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2018, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
6,491 posts, read 7,542,671 times
Reputation: 4302
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...5PZVRZnWFi2pK/

The tennis center has been called off, due to community opposition. I think it will still happen in the area, but thankfully it won’t be leveling 60 acres of parkland, and Roswell will keep its bike trails.
Well that was fast...


It truly is a shame no one could have ever made the Stone Mountain Olympic Tennis Stadium to house something like this. They were good facilities with room to grow and would have always had the history of saying the Olympics played there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,952 posts, read 9,136,488 times
Reputation: 5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well that was fast...


It truly is a shame no one could have ever made the Stone Mountain Olympic Tennis Stadium to house something like this. They were good facilities with room to grow and would have always had the history of saying the Olympics played there.
Wholly agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Kirkwood
23,047 posts, read 17,166,073 times
Reputation: 5256
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well that was fast...


It truly is a shame no one could have ever made the Stone Mountain Olympic Tennis Stadium to house something like this. They were good facilities with room to grow and would have always had the history of saying the Olympics played there.
100% agree, Georgia allowed the center to fall into disrepair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 12:40 PM
 
13,237 posts, read 21,680,342 times
Reputation: 4346
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...5PZVRZnWFi2pK/

The tennis center has been called off, due to community opposition. I think it will still happen in the area, but thankfully it won’t be leveling 60 acres of parkland, and Roswell will keep its bike trails.
Good. So happy. I was thinking about this just today when driving around. While I think a tennis center like this is needed, there are plenty of other areas in Metro where they could place this without leveling nature.

Think of all the blighted, underutilized areas, OTP, ITP, and ATP, where something like this could be a catalyst...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek area
9,952 posts, read 9,136,488 times
Reputation: 5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Think of all the blighted, underutilized areas, OTP, ITP, and ATP, where something like this could be a catalyst...
That is a very good point, aries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 01:15 PM
 
2,161 posts, read 833,458 times
Reputation: 1719
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good. So happy. I was thinking about this just today when driving around. While I think a tennis center like this is needed, there are plenty of other areas in Metro where they could place this without leveling nature.

Think of all the blighted, underutilized areas, OTP, ITP, and ATP, where something like this could be a catalyst...
But of course, those places don't have deep corporate/residential pockets and a proven high rate of return on such a large scale investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2018, 01:43 PM
 
13,237 posts, read 21,680,342 times
Reputation: 4346
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
But of course, those places don't have deep corporate/residential pockets and a proven high rate of return on such a large scale investment.
Um, think a bit—

We are talking about proximal underutilized, blighted areas. Heck, there are parcels like this in the Sandy Springs tô Alpharetta Corridor...and beyond. Not difficult. Thriving, yet overbuilt, suburban northern Metro Atlanta is not lacking in this regard.

Moreover, 60 acres is all you need for a mid-sized high school campus—or a mid to small-sized neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top