U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 AM

8,096 posts, read 9,934,857 times

Advertisements

I also grew up in Alabama, but luckily I did well enough in school so that University of Florida reduced my tuition to make it equivalent to in-state and put me in the honors program, which is why I went.

When I got there, I found that almost everybody was on a program that at the time was called "Florida scholars." It was like HOPE, funded by the state lottery and paid most of the kids' tuition All they had to do was I think have a 3.0 in high school, and then maintain a 3.0 in college. It's probably called something different now.

Alabama, of course, was way too backward to have a state lottery that funded scholarships. I don't even know if they've instituted a pre-paid program yet, probably not. So yeah, a lot of this stuff does depend on what state you live in.

That just means you have to do a little more, work a little harder, and maybe accrue more debt. So it goes, a lot of people have to work harder at a lot of different things. If you're having school problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but tuition ain't one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM

28,759 posts, read 25,561,489 times
If you haven't already I would urge everyone to spend an afternoon in Vickery in Forsyth County. It's one of the best New Urbanist developments in the city.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,335,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you haven't already I would urge everyone to spend an afternoon in Vickery in Forsyth County. It's one of the best New Urbanist developments in the city.
A. The Vickery is not in the city.
B. It is in the middle of nowhere.
C. They have a Lullwater Rd., I guess they want to be like Druid Hills!

(I have been there it is nothing great.)

Old 05-15-2012, 12:56 AM

5,144 posts, read 4,167,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
As someone who has admitted in the past that you rarely if ever get outside 285, I don't think you really get to weigh in on what places like Cherokee and Forsyth Counties are like.
I assume this same courtesy will be returned toward those who live ITP?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 AM

4,124 posts, read 4,735,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
A. The Vickery is not in the city.
B. It is in the middle of nowhere.
C. They have a Lullwater Rd., I guess they want to be like Druid Hills!

(I have been there it is nothing great.)
a little bit harsh, but i have to agree. although they were going in the right direction by including retail along with residential, it's very expensive and doesn't offer much for anyone except the jet-setter. it's basically an attempt to create a development that feels more like a community, but controlled and geared towards a specific demographic.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:53 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,335,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
a little bit harsh, but i have to agree. although they were going in the right direction by including retail along with residential, it's very expensive and doesn't offer much for anyone except the jet-setter. it's basically an attempt to create a development that feels more like a community, but controlled and geared towards a specific demographic.
It was a good concept. I feel like maybe if they had put it closer to Cumming so you could walk to town it would make it more appealing. I like how the houses had more architectural differences. Some of the houses did seem out of place.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:15 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,483,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I assume this same courtesy will be returned toward those who live ITP?
I'm assuming you mean to those who live OTP, and never get intown. If that's the case, then yes- I don't place much faith in comments made by those who live in the outlying counties and think they know everything about what areas intown are like.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 AM

8,096 posts, read 9,934,857 times
Quote:
it's basically an attempt to create a development that feels more like a community, but controlled and geared towards a specific demographic.
Sounds good to me!

I love planned communities. If I lived in central Florida, I'd live in Celebration.

Different strokes for different folks. I've never been to or even heard of this Vickery, but it sounds like they are trying to appeal to people like me.

The more hipsters hate it, the more I love it.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 AM

28,759 posts, read 25,561,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Sounds good to me!

I love planned communities. If I lived in central Florida, I'd live in Celebration.

Different strokes for different folks. I've never been to or even heard of this Vickery, but it sounds like they are trying to appeal to people like me.

The more hipsters hate it, the more I love it.
Vickery has won national praise for its commitment to the principles of new urbanism. It's a really visionary development.

A Realtor’s View of Metro Atlanta’s Traditional Neighborhood Development Communities CNU Atlanta

Unfortunately the folks in Vickery are now in a fight for their lives. Due to the recession a lender acquired a number of lots, and a large homebuilder is trying to put in standard tract homes.

Preserve Vickery | This site is dedicated to preserving the architectural integrity and beauty of the Vickery community in Forsyth County, GA. Check here for the latest news, activities and what you can do to preserve your investment in Vickery.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,238,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm assuming you mean to those who live OTP, and never get intown. If that's the case, then yes- I don't place much faith in comments made by those who live in the outlying counties and think they know everything about what areas intown are like.
QFT...they hate Atlanta the city but want all of Atlanta's benefits and live 40 miles away going to their Wal-Marts, Targets, Publix and Nordstrom Rack's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or