Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 02:22 PM

254 posts, read 369,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
What am I expecting?
I believe he is saying that you are expecting too much from netdragon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 07:22 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Ah. Thanks

Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What about all the gazillions of dollars in state handouts to the city of Atlanta for rebuilding Ivan Allen, 5th Street, 10th Street, 14th Street, 17th Street, Marietta St., Centennial Park Dr, Spring St., Northside Dr, the downtown Connector, etc., etc.?
Not to mention the Georgia Congress Center, Centennial Olympic Park, state roads, the location of the capitol, farming subsidies... Lord. The list goes on.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:54 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Quote:
Read the article. They are not saying inner ring suburbs like the street car suburbs that have now turned around, they are saying inner ring like 1950s suburbs like Northlake area where I grew up that has fallen off in the last decade.
I read it and feel that the article is just picking certain cities to fit an inaccurate or at least exaggerated premise. Many 1950s inner ring suburbs throughout the nation are starting to do really well or doing better than they were the last decade. It really depends on timing of sprawl and how active the areas have been towards urban renewal, whether they participated in their core city's renewal, and the sheer amount of blighted land in the metro area. For instance, in the Hartford area, they built a greenbelt. Ignoring Atlanta, even, some examples I can think of right off the top of my head are:
West Hartford, CT
Manchester, CT
East Hartford, CT
Colonie, NY
Levittown, NY
Smyrna, GA
Pasadena, CA

Old 09-08-2014, 07:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
100% of cities do not need to fit criteria for a trend to be a trend.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
100% of cities do not need to fit criteria for a trend to be a trend.
I guess. To be honest, I haven't been to most metros in the country, so I can't really comment, other than what I've seen on the East Coast, Texas, and the West Coast, where most inner cores have followed the revitalization in the inner city. For instance, many growing metros like Dallas, NYC, Atlanta, LA, Boston, seem to buck this "trend". On the other side, there are metros that are hurting, especially in the midwest, like Buffalo and St Louis. Half the inner core suburbs of St Louis seemed to be in really horrible shape. There may actually be more of them national that are doing poor than the ones doing well.

I mentioned a few Hartford suburbs. However, Hartford is an oddity because the inner core suburbs may have kept going downhill due to sprawl. It was actually sprawling worse than Atlanta at one time, and in the 80s gangs were moving into the inner suburbs. However, the state added a greenbelt by buying up land in the outer metro to prevent sprawl, which almost overnight doubled home prices in the Hartford metro and forced redevelopment for the inner metro and young families - often from the wealthier suburbs - to move into blighted areas because that was all they could afford. During that, the gangs moved out of the inner suburbs.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I read it and feel that the article is just picking certain cities to fit an inaccurate or at least exaggerated premise. Many 1950s inner ring suburbs throughout the nation are starting to do really well or doing better than they were the last decade. It really depends on timing of sprawl and how active the areas have been towards urban renewal, whether they participated in their core city's renewal, and the sheer amount of blighted land in the metro area. For instance, in the Hartford area, they built a greenbelt. Ignoring Atlanta, even, some examples I can think of right off the top of my head are:
West Hartford, CT
Manchester, CT
East Hartford, CT
Colonie, NY
Levittown, NY
Smyrna, GA
Pasadena, CA
Netdragon, do you live in Smyrna or are you a developer there? Seems like you are giving Smyrna the subtle plug wherever possible. Nothing wrong with that, just curious. Full disclosure and all.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Netdragon, do you live in Smyrna or are you a developer there? Seems like you are giving Smyrna the subtle plug wherever possible. Nothing wrong with that, just curious. Full disclosure and all.
Live. I own investment property in Atlanta and Smyrna, so no favoritism from an investment perspective. My main area is software engineering. I just really like Smyrna.

I'm not as much a fan of Cobb county politics, though. I think the domination of the tea-party type people is about to die a quick death when Cumberland's population increases soon by 30,000 or more millenials. Then the conservatives will lose another seat on the council because Bob Ott will be out. Btw, for those who ask why I don't just move to Atlanta to avoid Cobb politics, Atlanta has its own issues. I'm keeping an eye on NW Atlanta and if Cobb never gets it's head out of its * when it comes to transit, I could wind up around Marietta Blvd someday, inside the N. Atlanta High and Sutton school district since they are about the same as Smyrna schools anyway, if not a little better.

I just think things are going to change relatively soon in Cobb due to all the millennial population moving in.

Last edited by netdragon; 09-10-2014 at 01:43 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Live. I own investment property in Atlanta and Smyrna, so no favoritism from an investment perspective. My main area is software engineering. I just really like Smyrna.

I'm not as much a fan of Cobb county politics, though. I think the domination of the tea-party type people is about to die a quick death when Cumberland's population increases soon by 30,000 or more millenials. Then the conservatives will lose another seat on the council because Bob Ott will be out. Btw, for those who ask why I don't just move to Atlanta to avoid Cobb politics, Atlanta has its own issues. I'm keeping an eye on NW Atlanta and if Cobb never gets it's head out of its * when it comes to transit, I could wind up around Marietta Blvd someday, inside the N. Atlanta High and Sutton school district since they are about the same as Smyrna schools anyway, if not a little better.

I just think things are going to change relatively soon in Cobb due to all the millennial population moving in.
That's cool. I hear you.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:50 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Dunwoody is upping the bar.

55 new townhomes, no multi-family and no more than rentals.

55 townhomes approved on Chamblee Dunwoody Road - Reporter Newspapers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta