Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 04:26 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,511,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Sorry, but Europeans are not moving to the suburbs there for something stupid like "elbow room". Europeans actual enjoy the close quarters of one another, but if housing is unaffordable then of course they will move.
There are a lot of people who take elbow room very seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:02 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,686,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Sorry, but same phenomena there as it is here, high costs and lack of affordable housing in the urban core. Sorry, but Europeans are not moving to the suburbs there for something stupid like "elbow room". Europeans actual enjoy the close quarters of one another, but if housing is unaffordable then of course they will move.
Jero,

Be cautious with this generalization. It isn't quite true by a long shot.

They have less land per capita in Europe by a wide margin, because of this it changes costs and regulations.

On the market supply and demand side for land land (even farm land) is much more expensive, so even those in suburbs (and they certainly exist!) must pay a bit more. This is why they are fewer and further between and more live in cities.

The other side is Europe has more strategically and stringently regulated land use to ensure they can supply their own food in the future. They protect a great deal of farm land for reasons we haven't had to face yet.

Problem 3 Europe is more diverse than people give it credit for. It is full of many different countries with different types of terrain, environments, economics forces. They have different regulations and land use plans. (There is actually more space in Scandinavia and as a result you will find a large amount of single family homes surrounding Stockholm and around smaller cities nearby.)

So in my experience I have heard both sides from Europeans:

- Where are all the typical intown neighborhoods they are use to. I don't like this

and

-Wow, we can get so much here that we can't back home. A large house on a large lot is extraordinarily expensive in some places, not undesirable.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:30 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,336,613 times
My friends in the Netherlands are EXTREMELY jealous of our large family home on an acre plus lot; so are their parents, a rather old Dutch couple.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 AM

As soon as the Chinese started getting some money they wanted elbow room and they are glad to buy nice cars to get around.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:12 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,658,751 times
Not to be intentionally rude here, Arjay, but this elbow room fixation thing keeps popping up in your posts, sometimes multiple times per day in different threads.
I'm not sure if its now meant to be taken as a tongue in cheek joke or what but it simply doesn't apply to every topic and perhaps could be put to rest.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 AM

Well, I don't think I talk about it that much. It just happened to come up in this thread but I will try to be sensitive about it.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:22 AM

10,730 posts, read 13,265,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, I don't think I talk about it that much. It just happened to come up in this thread but I will try to be sensitive about it.
You don't bring it up nearly as much as folks bring up 'burbs, street cars, transit and Cobb County. And, I personally agree that "elbow room" is just as important as those topics.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:24 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,686,347 times
I love it personally.

Long running unique comments make this a colorful forum. I don't know where we would be without Arjay's elbow room

Old 06-25-2015, 11:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,819,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I love it personally.

Long running unique comments make this a colorful forum. I don't know where we would be without Arjay's elbow room
I feel the same. Arjay is a treasure, in my opinion.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,010,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I feel the same. Arjay is a treasure, in my opinion.
Aye, Maybe we should lock him in a chest and bury it on some forgotten, tropical island! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta