U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 08:20 PM

4,837 posts, read 9,233,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Pedestrians aren't allowed on the highway.... so I don't think you're analogy is appropriate. People don't usually drive 86 mph on roads with pedestrians...
Oh man, I was a crazy driver back in my days at Tech. You'd see me regularly doing 80 on North Ave (not near the congested BP area of course), West Peachtree, and Spring. Now that I have a kid, I drive the limit =p

Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
WHAT!!! I had the same exact ticket in Fulton (I-75 and West Paces Ferry) and had to pay $399, and this was with a court appearance and no contest plea.

What a freakin' ripoff.
It was actually a 107 in a 55, but I had a good lawyer who got it reduced it to 79 in a 55. I also took a defensive driving class and wrote an essay explaining the dangers of speeding and I got the fine reduced in half, supposedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgreer17 View Post
How much did your's increase by??
For some reason, my insurance never increased in the 7 years I lived in GA. They kept going down every year despite racking up the points. I drove 4 different cars during those years (each car was newer than the one before), so maybe the type of car had something to do with it, and also my age and marital status. I also moved farther from the city every other year, which might have reduced my premiums. So basically, not everything is equal every year for me, so I can't compare that well. Sorry.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:33 PM

2,275 posts, read 5,538,753 times
This is exactly why I hate driving in Georgia. People with complete disregard for the safety of others driving like maniacs.

I don't feel sorry for a single one of you. You're getting what you deserve.

Actually, I take that back - you're not getting what you deserve. You deserve to lose your license.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:38 PM

3,581 posts, read 9,002,297 times
Quote:
Pedestrians aren't allowed on the highway.... so I don't think you're analogy is appropriate. People don't usually drive 86 mph on roads with pedestrians...
You might be surprised. I was in a defensive driving class many years ago and the instructor had us all tell each other how we got there and the worst offense had to buy cokes for the class. Our winner was a kid who was doing 110 in a school zone just to see what it was like. It was his second offense in two weeks.

You might ask how he still had his license and was allowed to take the class. I know we did, but I never heard the outcome of the letter the instructor wrote to the judge.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:36 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
This is exactly why I hate driving in Georgia. People with complete disregard for the safety of others driving like maniacs.

I don't feel sorry for a single one of you. You're getting what you deserve.

Actually, I take that back - you're not getting what you deserve. You deserve to lose your license.

This is right on the money.

107 in a 55? You should get jail time for that.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This is right on the money.

107 in a 55? You should get jail time for that.
I know, I've already admitted I made a mistake and I'm no longer like that. You gotta admit college kids do dumb things and then they grow up. My lawyer said I should've gone to a holding cell for the night also, but I was lucky and the cop was near the end of his shift and didn't want to wait for 2 hours at 1am to get me booked, etc..

Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,918,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgreer17 View Post
I got a speeding ticket in Cobb County going 86 in a 55. Does anyone know what I can expect the fine to be? A court appearence is required by me.
Well, I was in Cobb County court last week for my speeding ticket on I-285. Where'd they get you, South Atlanta Road?

Standard Cobb County Traffic Court (Division II) goes like this:

Plea Guilty - pay fine, get points, goes on MVR
Plea No-Lo - pay fine, plea once every 5 years, no points, STILL GOES ON MVR

Plea Not-Guilty - go to court, you get a new arraignment date for Division I court to plea again, deal again, negotiate again.

So even if you don't get points, it still goes on your license and your insurance will see it next time they pull your MVR.

That 86 is a 4 point ticket, but you have to get 15 points in a 24 month span to lose your license.

Cobb doesn't do the Defensive Driving as standard practice as other municipalities do, however, I've heard they've taken this and/or community service but is usually dealt before the court date.

Traffic Court wouldn't work with me with the exception of no-lo so I pleaded not guilty and went to Div I court, they worked with me there and were shocked I didn't plea it in traffic court. I just told the prosecutor that they wouldn't work with me so then the haggling process began, it's like buying a car.

They initially dropped mine from 99 to 85 in a 55 which went from $420 to $280. I then negotiated a little more to get the MPH down to 78 mph b/c of insurance. You're not going to want a 30+ mph ticket on your MVR.

If my ticket wouldn't have been dropped to under 30 mph and a 3 point ticket (then I pleaded no-lo so no points) I would have pleaded not guilty again and go to the next step.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:50 AM

481 posts, read 2,548,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Oh man, I was a crazy driver back in my days at Tech. You'd see me regularly doing 80 on North Ave (not near the congested BP area of course), West Peachtree, and Spring. Now that I have a kid, I drive the limit =p
Wow, I go to Tech and that is crazy. Now, there's no problem with occasionally going 80 on a wide, divided suburban avenue during low traffic like Johnson Ferry, GA-120, or Cobb Parkway, but North Avenue? Spring Street? That's insane. Well actually let me rephrase that. No one driving a Camry or something similar should ever go more than 50 unless they are on the interstate. I would not feel comfortable at all driving our Camry above 50 on normal roads. But my 2-door coupe always ends up going 60 or 70 without you even noticing and perfectly stable and controllable at those speeds, so it really depends on the car. I think a lot of who really dislike speeding don't realize that for good cars, 60 to 80 is not nearly as fast as you think it is.

But I think speed limits are pretty much fine for normal roads in Atlanta.

Anyway, as for getting your license revoke or jail time, that's a little silly if you are talking about the 55 limit highways in Atlanta. Everyone drives 80 on the highways and the speed limit should be 80. 55 is obviously way too slow, but thankfully in Atlanta you're not going to get a ticket for doing 80 on the interstate unless you are extremely lucky or trying that during the worst part of rush hour.

Last edited by GF72; 09-20-2007 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 AM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Geez. I saw a motorcyclist just over a week ago who blew by me doing at least 80 on the E/W Connector, and I've seen similar behavior on that same stretch of road at least three times by motocycle riders (it's just to the east of the Covered Bridge District). There are several traffic lights (with crosswalks) in that area. Of course, folks shouldn't cross against a green light, but...

Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
I've seen people doing 80+ on Brockett Road...a 40 mph road with a school zone and lots of people walking/jogging/cycling.

I need to start carrying a pocket full of nails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta