U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM

59 posts, read 331,725 times

Advertisements

BEN SCREWED. Hey, derekgreer17 here in Atlanta. The number I see says NCIC NO> GA. 0330200. Is this what you are talking about? I have not been able to find out what it means. I would really appricieate your help.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:50 AM

180 posts, read 192,151 times
Erratic driving in Atlanta is the same as anywhere else...it's the exception, not the norm.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:37 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,570,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
or that we have to go through rigorous driving school........
This hits it on the head here, though.

When I was in my teens in WV, we HAD to take at least one quarter of driver's education in school. The school had 4 vehicles and 2 driver's ed teachers. Every kid had to go through that quarter of it, and most elected to continue taking it for at least 2 quarters - some for 4.

Here, dad will take the kid to a Kroger parking lot for two hours and bingo! Their kid is ready to drive! There are no mandatory driver's ed classes in Georgia. None. I don't even think a single school in the state has an elective driver's class, either. No no no... there are much more important things to put funding into than to teach the kids how to drive safely.. such as cheerleading, football, basketball... so here we are in Atlanta, where a lot of Georgians live, none of whom who are younger than 40 have ever had driver's ed, plus foreign drivers who are unused to our laws and roads, plus the elderly (who never get re-tested), teens, etc. It's quite frankly amazing we don't have 50 fatalities on the roads around the city every day as it is.

My brother, myself, and two sisters all did the required back home and I kid you not - NONE of the four of us have been in a major accident. None of us have had any accident that was our fault, and I was able to avoid being in an accident because of some defensive driving maneuvers I learned in those school classes - most here probably would have just plowed into the back of the car and created the popular 12 car pileup.

Newer laws supposedly may help by requiring 16 year olds to go through a driver's ed class (private), or wait until they're 17. Most parents will probably not shell out the $$ and just make the kids wait until they're 17, and do the Kroger parking lot bit instead. woo hoo. Parents who actually CARE about their kids will spend a LOT of time teaching them what to do, and send them to a driver's ed school. They will also write letters to the state demanding funding for driver's ed to be reinstated back into the public school system.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:39 PM

2,275 posts, read 5,538,016 times
Wish I could give you some rep points for that, Greg, but it won't let me give them again. I completely agree with you.

As a matter of fact, I don't think it would be a bad idea for everyone to be required to take a refresher course in defensive driving every so many years before allowing license renewal.

People get all bent out of shape, thinking the police are stomping on their "right" to drive as fast as they want. The truth is, driving at high speeds are dangerous - plain and simple. You have far less reaction time to deal with situations that arise on the road, and others have less time to react to you.

The worst thing is that people think they're getting somewhere so much faster, when they don't. At the very most you may get there a minute or two quicker. The bottom line is, it's simply not worth risking anyone's safety for that minute. No one has the right to put my life in danger simply because they feel they're too important to obey the law.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:23 AM

4,837 posts, read 9,230,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Here in AZ, you can go to jail for going 86 in a 75. I think going 86 in a 55 in beyond ridiculous, nevermind the poster who said he was clocked at 107 in a 55. If you're driving on some backcountry road where the speed limit is 55, just because there may not be many people, there are animals and of course the occasional curve.

I can understand going 10 or 15 miles an hour over the speed limit, but 30-50+ over the limit is dangerous, and should be cause for you to be taken off of the road immediately until you learn how to drive like a civilized person.
You serious about the jail thing in AZ? When I drove through AZ on my way to Cali, I remember the speed limit was 75 most of the way on I-10 and I-8. I was going 90 the whole way in the desert, which didn't seem unreasonable since I was being passed left and right by people going 100+

Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
I can barely justify going with the flow of traffic here in FL on 75 and doing 75 which is posted. I cant even imagine doing 107mph AT ALL. I am a good driver and I am more worried about the safety of the kids etc in my car and others than the drivers. They are suppose to be in control kids and pedestrians are surely not. I am all for higher fines for speeding in excess. I see no reason for a rational person in a motor vehicle to go more than 50 miles over the speedlimit. NO REASON.....Unless you have a death wish...Thank fully. I have never been a party to any high speed chases or been around when someone is foolish enough to be going that fast ....I keep hearing how crazy the drivers are in GA. Being from Boston and living in FL(moving to GA next week) I think I can handle it. I think the drivers here in FL are the worse I have EVER dealt with . I learned how to drive in Boston and Upstate NY on the thruway and I would driver there again in a heartbeat and cant wait to get off the roads here in FL. I also do not anticipate having to drive in ATL ...If that is the case I will have my husband drive..He is an OTR trucker and is a very safe driver and has a spotless driving record and takes all vechicles and laws of the road very serrioulsy so I will let hm drive to ATL if needbe..Just my thoughts...Have a great day...Lisa
Actually Nibseygirl, the FL Turnpike has some pretty fast drivers. I only drove on it once so maybe my experience was a fluke, but I completed a 103-mile segment of it in 57 minutes (it said so on the toll receipt!) when I was driving down to South Beach. I was literally passed about every 2-3 minutes during that ride!

107mph on 400 north of the Perimeter honestly didn't feel that fast at all, especially at 12am w/hardly any cars around. When I spent a summer in Europe, I drove an Audi A6 and routinely drove around 140mph on the autobahn there. No problem ... cars passed me all the time. I think a major reason many people can't imagine going 100mph is because most of them are driving a Honda or a Toyota. It makes a big difference if you are driving a European sports or luxury car, as my wife and I do. Driving skill is another factor, obviously, and everyone has varying driving skills. No one would blame Jeff Gordon for going 100 on a straight, flat, deserted highway, right?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,918,047 times
I'm more worried about people on cell phones than speeders. It drives me up the wall. I think we need a law against cell phone usage w/o a hands free advice.

I can't even count how many times I've almost been side-swiped by these peoople. That's why I punch it, do a 100, to get past them. They'll have the phone b/t their shoulder and ear why looking over the other shoulder, trying to move over multiple lanes in traffic.

....or they're the ones who go 45 in a 65 b/c they're too buys on the phone.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I'm more worried about people on cell phones than speeders. It drives me up the wall. I think we need a law against cell phone usage w/o a hands free advice.

I can't even count how many times I've almost been side-swiped by these peoople. That's why I punch it, do a 100, to get past them. They'll have the phone b/t their shoulder and ear why looking over the other shoulder, trying to move over multiple lanes in traffic.

....or they're the ones who go 45 in a 65 b/c they're too buys on the phone.
I totally agree w/this one. People talking on cellphones are more dangerous to others around them than drivers going 90 on the left lane.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:37 PM

2,441 posts, read 5,931,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
You serious about the jail thing in AZ? When I drove through AZ on my way to Cali, I remember the speed limit was 75 most of the way on I-10 and I-8. I was going 90 the whole way in the desert, which didn't seem unreasonable since I was being passed left and right by people going 100+
Completely serious. I was coming back from Vegas to Scottsdale along I-40 near Kingman on Labor Day, when I got pulled over for going 11 mph over the posted 75 speed limit. I was told that I could be taken to jail. I guess the officer must have been in the holiday spirit, because he let me go with just a $200 ticket.

Many times I have gotten away with doing 90-95 on the interstates here in Arizona, and I know many people go between 100-110, but not without risk of severe penalty.

Now I know to only speed in rural areas, not near towns or cities. Haha.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:06 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,161,439 times
86 in a 55 in OHIO would land you in jail. (The entire state is a jail, but I mean a jail specifically run by the state.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta