U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:29 PM
 
4 posts, read 53,749 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

I received a speeding ticket for 97 in a 65 on I-75 in Cobb County. I had a clean driving record, but they did not mark it down at all. Because I have a baby on the way in a couple of weeks, I wanted to get this over with as soon as possible, so I plead guilty. The judge charged me $490 and I walked away with 4 points on my license. When and if the day comes that my insurance goes up on my car, I'll take a $75 defensive driving course to remove those points from my license (it removes a total of 7 points). Not bad for a 6 hour class that you just sit down, listen, and take a written test. Just my two cents for anyone interested!

 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM
 
4 posts, read 53,749 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycethreats View Post
Hey i was doing 98 in a 55 and got pulled over. I was aressted and got a ticket for speeding and reckless driving, oh yeah and i have to go to court for it....does anyone know what i can expect. I was in Ludowici GA.
I just posted a second ago about my speeding ticket. I did not get a traffic attorney, but I had talked to someone right before I went to court. Here is his information. He quoted me a flat rate of $600 to handle my case, which is very reasonable. I would have paid it if I knew I was going to lose my license.

Sean J. McIlhinney, Esq.
DUI, Traffic Ticket, & Criminal Defense Professional
McIlhinney & Sessions, LLC
4036 Wetherburn Way, Suite A
Norcross, Georgia 30092
Cell: (404) 932-3099
Office: (678) 387-6920
Facsimile: (678) 387-6926

Hope this helps!
 
Old 02-26-2009, 05:34 PM
 
1,756 posts, read 4,920,364 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphericalcrusher View Post
I received a speeding ticket for 97 in a 65 on I-75 in Cobb County. I had a clean driving record, but they did not mark it down at all. Because I have a baby on the way in a couple of weeks, I wanted to get this over with as soon as possible, so I plead guilty. The judge charged me $490 and I walked away with 4 points on my license. When and if the day comes that my insurance goes up on my car, I'll take a $75 defensive driving course to remove those points from my license (it removes a total of 7 points). Not bad for a 6 hour class that you just sit down, listen, and take a written test. Just my two cents for anyone interested!
Don't be so sure. I received a 99 in a 55 in Cobb, had it knocked down to $200+, speed knocked to 77 in a 55 for 2 points, then pleaded no contest for no points.

Points on your license has nothing to do with insurance rates. Ticket goes on your MVR regardless and all the insurance does is pull your MVR every now and then. That ticket will be on there for 3 years, they may not pull your MVR anytime soon, but DD course doesn't wipe it off. Maybe your insurance will give you some discount but don't expect as much as you think.
 
Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 PM
 
4 posts, read 53,749 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Don't be so sure. I received a 99 in a 55 in Cobb, had it knocked down to $200+, speed knocked to 77 in a 55 for 2 points, then pleaded no contest for no points.

Points on your license has nothing to do with insurance rates. Ticket goes on your MVR regardless and all the insurance does is pull your MVR every now and then. That ticket will be on there for 3 years, they may not pull your MVR anytime soon, but DD course doesn't wipe it off. Maybe your insurance will give you some discount but don't expect as much as you think.

I never said that he was going to be fined the same. I'm only stating what happened to me today. I am sure of this because it actually happened. Ha.

As far as points go, I do know that the more points you have, the higher your rate is. I've had several friends with around 6 points on license, take the course and see their insurance rate go back to the way it was before any speeding ticket (even cheaper).

And I mean, every single time anyone gets a ticket, the officer states that (if the ticket is 14mph or less) that it will not effect insurance. Even the judge stated this today several times in court when he dropped a few speeding tickets down. The points are what cause the increase.
 
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
 
1,756 posts, read 4,920,364 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphericalcrusher View Post
The points are what cause the increase.
It most insurance companies it doesn't!

It's most probably the ticket info on your MVR, every insurance company can come up with their own way to hit you. They don't use GA's point system. That's only for keeping your license. You can get somewhere around 20 points w/in a 2 year period and not lose your license, but you'll lose your insurance.

I know b/c I called mine and asked before hand. My company said anything over 24 would require a policy change. They also stated that even if I pleaded no contest, like I did for ZERO points, they still go by the MVR and would see the amount over and charge me accordingly if and when they pulled my MVR.

They did say, at the time, they hadn't pulled my MVR in 2 years.

Obviously, all insurance companies are not the same but the points on your license is a big misunderstanding that 90% of the population doesn't understand. Believe me, I thought the same before I called my insurance company.

And I drive a fast v8 vehicle that gets hit already for the type of car. I'm just saying, if you want to know for sure, call your insurance company and don't give them your info but ask the questions.
 
Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 AM
 
4 posts, read 53,749 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
It most insurance companies it doesn't!

It's most probably the ticket info on your MVR, every insurance company can come up with their own way to hit you. They don't use GA's point system. That's only for keeping your license. You can get somewhere around 20 points w/in a 2 year period and not lose your license, but you'll lose your insurance.

I know b/c I called mine and asked before hand. My company said anything over 24 would require a policy change. They also stated that even if I pleaded no contest, like I did for ZERO points, they still go by the MVR and would see the amount over and charge me accordingly if and when they pulled my MVR.

They did say, at the time, they hadn't pulled my MVR in 2 years.

Obviously, all insurance companies are not the same but the points on your license is a big misunderstanding that 90% of the population doesn't understand. Believe me, I thought the same before I called my insurance company.

And I drive a fast v8 vehicle that gets hit already for the type of car. I'm just saying, if you want to know for sure, call your insurance company and don't give them your info but ask the questions.
I did call them actually, and Liberty Mutual goes by points. I guess it makes sense in the long run. I know State Farm goes by points also, and those two are the only two I've had.

It would just suck to hear the judge tell you to your face "I'll reduce the traffic ticket this much so it will not affect your insurance at all" and it somehow does.
 
Old 04-23-2009, 03:01 PM
 
1 posts, read 13,276 times
Reputation: 10
I just got a speeding ticket today in Cobb. I was doing a 66 in a 35. The officer told me I have to go to court in June. My told me that because I was above 30 over that is considered to be recetless driving or driving in toxicated with will increase my insurance double that I am paying now. I know I was at fault for speeding. Is there anyway I due to not increase my insurance since this is my first offense and first time have to go to the Cobb county courts, thanks.
 
Old 04-23-2009, 04:59 PM
 
Location: Woodstock, GA
1,986 posts, read 3,350,590 times
Reputation: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaforever View Post
I just got a speeding ticket today in Cobb. I was doing a 66 in a 35....Is there anyway I due to not increase my insurance since this is my first offense and first time have to go to the Cobb county courts, thanks.
I can only tell you my experience with Johns Creek Municipal Court. I received a ticket for going 42 in a 25 school zone. I went to my court date, which was just an arraignment (not a trial). At my arraignment I had a choice. I could plead guilty, not guilty, or no lo contendre (no contest), or I could ask to talk a prosecutor. So I talked to a prosecutor. We discussed the incident briefly. She looked at my record and saw that it was completely clean (no other tickets), and she reduced the charge to a "basic rules violation". No points and likely no impact on my insurance. I still had to pay a fine, but I was okay with that.

You were 31 over the limit so I don't know how much of a reduction you can get. And you are in Cobb County, so I have no idea how different they are. But with a clean record you will almost certainly get a reduction of the speed and probably get the other charges dismissed. It can't hurt to talk to a prosecutor. If you don't like the deal you can turn it down, plead "not guilty" and the court will set a trial date for you. Then you can go find a lawyer.
 
Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
1,740 posts, read 2,932,551 times
Reputation: 563
This is a great post, even though I am not sure that I agree with the poster's first sentence. (I think traffic court proceeds differently than criminal courts do.)

While I am in the GA forum, I was wondering if anyone knows whether Ludowici is still famous for being the most corrupt speed trap in America. When I did a search on the town, this thread came up, but I didn't find anything on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
BS, if he can get out of it he should, he's innocent until proven guilty and that's in a court. All you liberals like throwing this around so why not for speeders. Hell, y'all want to give civilian rights to terrorist combatants and illegal immigrants, why not a speeder.

These damn illegals with out of country licenses, no insurance are driving around dropping stuff out of their vehicles, driving less than safe vehicles, no insurance, no registration, etc... and you are gun ho about penalizing a tax payer for a minor infraction!

He may well be over and guilty but if he hires a lawyer he'll get out of it, I guarantee, it just on a smaller level vs all the celebrity b/s everyone knows about. If he haggles he'll get it dropped, why would Cobb County do that??? Oh so the don't have to put up the costs of going to trial over something stupid!!!!!!

Rolling a stop sign in a damn neighborhood is a big fine and goes on your MVR but I doubt any of yall actually perform a 'legal' stop.

Actually speed limit signs are not posted that close and cops aren't allowed to run radar/laser within 500 feet of a posted speed limit, even though they do it all the time on the Hooch bridge from Cobb to Fulton on 75, the sign is right there. Cops (with the exception of GSP) have to be visible for 500ft before taggin a car.

Look it up!
 
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Louisiana
1,740 posts, read 2,932,551 times
Reputation: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I'm more worried about people on cell phones than speeders. It drives me up the wall. I think we need a law against cell phone usage w/o a hands free advice.

I can't even count how many times I've almost been side-swiped by these peoople. That's why I punch it, do a 100, to get past them. They'll have the phone b/t their shoulder and ear why looking over the other shoulder, trying to move over multiple lanes in traffic.

....or they're the ones who go 45 in a 65 b/c they're too buys on the phone.
It is my opinion that anyone who causes an accident that involves the death of another person while using a cell phone should receive a mandatory 10 year prison sentence with no chance of parole. Obviously, this criminal should never have the right to drive again.

I would disagree with this poster, though, in _punching it ... to get past them_ since experience teaches that the crappy drivers should be in front of you, not behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top