Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:27 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,292,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
I probably normally do around 75 in the 55 areas in and around Atlanta.
So you're saying that 90 in a 55 is a mistake, but 75 is ok? Uh, NO. It's not. http://bestsmileys.com/nono/3.gif (broken link) http://bestsmileys.com/nono/3.gif (broken link) http://bestsmileys.com/nono/3.gif (broken link)

The guy was in the left lane, doing 60 in a 55. You come flying up on his tail going 75 mph - and I'll bet you were riding his tail for a while before you gunned it. That's EXACTLY the kind of behavior I'm talking about. I'm GLAD you got a ticket for it, because you absolutely deserve it.

Quote:
The guy got an 86, big deal, that's what 8 over normal speed limit for most drivers.
No, it's not 8 over the speed limit for most drivers. It's still 31 mph over the speed limit for ALL drivers. People don't get to set their own speed limits.

Again, this is exactly why I hate driving through Georgia. You can see a difference the minute you cross the state line. I shouldn't have to drive 20 mph over the speed limit, and risk getting a ticket myself, just to avoid getting run off the road. It absolutely infuriates me that I seem to have one of two choices - either risk a ticket, or risk having some jackass who thinks he's above the law run me off the road.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,763,750 times
Seems like these posts about speed limits and tickets always sets off arguments. Get back on topic, or close this thread.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:16 AM

7 posts, read 25,472 times
How did you all get to speed like that? I thought traffic was always backed up.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:09 AM

481 posts, read 2,815,698 times
Look, all you goodie two shoes defending the speed limit need to chill out a little.

The highway speed limit of 55 is just way too low.

In Atlanta on the highway when the traffic is flowing, the cops drive 80. Everyone drives 80. No one cares, because there's nothing wrong with that. Not all laws command the same respect. If you live within the city limits of Kennesaw you are required to own a gun by law. But, no one cares, because there's no problem if it's not enforced.

Laws are not absolute. Do you guys realize how easy it is to get laws passed (most laws are piggybacked through other, more important laws anyway; laws tend to get passed in huge chunks at a time). And do you realize how easy it is for a law to get overturned by the courts? Legislators pass unconstitutional laws on a regular basis, and when someone notices and takes it to court, it gets tossed out. There's no need to talk about all laws as if they are completely without fault or exception.

The problem is poor driving, not driving at 80. I think the fact that 90% of Atlanta's millions of drivers drive 80 on the interstates is proof that 80 is completely reasonable. 90, maybe not. But the point is, the only thing that matters is the flow of traffic. The flow of traffic is always the reasonable speed to drive at - if you are driving faster then you can't complain about getting a ticket.

And even if you get a ticket for going 75 on the interstate, you still can't complain. You willingly broke the law. I'm not saying people can't be punished for breaking the 55 mph speed limit. If they are unlucky enough to get pulled over, they should pay the fine. What I am saying is that you people who want the whole city to change, who actually want everyone to drive 55... I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,791,320 times
Quote:
All you liberals like throwing this around so why not for speeders. Hell, y'all want to give civilian rights to terrorist combatants and illegal immigrants, why not a speeder.

These damn illegals with out of country licenses, no insurance are driving around dropping stuff out of their vehicles, driving less than safe vehicles, no insurance, no registration, etc... and you are gun ho about penalizing a tax payer for a minor infraction!
Ok, time for MEDS!!

First of all, WHERE do "liberals" come into this? Where does any one group other than speeders come into this? What in the world could possibly make this political?? People who greatly exceed the speed limit are driving recklessly around thousands of people with varied driving experience. They are putting other's lives in danger and increase the chances of causing an accident. I fail to see how whether someone is a conservative or liberal or white or black or christian or non has anything at all to do whether they speed or not, or, if they feel that speeders like this should pay their fines and learn a lesson.

As far as illegal drivers - where again, does THAT come into THIS particular discussion? Personally I feel that if someone is driving here illegally and is caught they should spend 30 days in jail, then be deported immediately. But that is neither here nor there and has nothing to do with THIS topic... and for the record, the current state government which so many voted in for the wrong reasons (flag, etc) are the ones who are lax on the immigrant driving laws.

Yes indeed, I am "gun ho" about a "tax paying citizen" paying a fine and being penalized for driving that far over the speed limit. What... if you pay taxes you're exempt from the LAW?? Please!

Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,292,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
And even if you get a ticket for going 75 on the interstate, you still can't complain. You willingly broke the law. I'm not saying people can't be punished for breaking the 55 mph speed limit. If they are unlucky enough to get pulled over, they should pay the fine. What I am saying is that you people who want the whole city to change, who actually want everyone to drive 55... I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous.
Trying to drive the posted speed limit, which is 55 - no matter what the hell you THINK it should be - is dangerous when you have people all around you driving 80 mph.

You're essentially saying that in order to stay safe, I should break the law, but don't complain if I get a ticket. Oh, and it's ridiculous for me to expect people to obey the law.

That's some farked up, arrogant logic right there.

Last edited by Claire_F; 09-21-2007 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-21-2007, 10:30 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,763,750 times
I find it funny that all the speeders are from Tech.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:43 PM

371 posts, read 1,552,081 times
I find it fine pootling about at 55mph, in the U.K. the national motorway speed limit is 70mph, but the road surfaces are far far better, at the moment I am thinking that when I move here full time I would like a convertible, but the more I drive these surfaces the more I think I may go for a 4x4.

A couple of times this week I have had people tail gating me but I ignore them, they go away eventually.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:22 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,791,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
The highway speed limit of 55 is just way too low.

In Atlanta on the highway when the traffic is flowing, the cops drive 80. Everyone drives 80. No one cares, because there's nothing wrong with that.

Laws are not absolute.
Tell ya what... anyone who thinks the speed limit laws are dumb.. quote the EXACT same things just said above, the next time you're standing in front of a judge for speeding. See what happens.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:46 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,986,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgreer17 View Post
As for going to jail for driving 86 in a 55....that is ridiculous. If you want to live in that type of country maybe you should move the middle east or cuba.
Here in AZ, you can go to jail for going 86 in a 75. I think going 86 in a 55 in beyond ridiculous, nevermind the poster who said he was clocked at 107 in a 55. If you're driving on some backcountry road where the speed limit is 55, just because there may not be many people, there are animals and of course the occasional curve.

I can understand going 10 or 15 miles an hour over the speed limit, but 30-50+ over the limit is dangerous, and should be cause for you to be taken off of the road immediately until you learn how to drive like a civilized person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta