Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:28 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I say if the DOT can't handle it, just bring in private companies and let them construct toll roads.
They tried that with the I-75/575 HOT lanes. The deal would have blocked development of secondary roads near the interstates, in order to guarantee a healthy profit for the private company by ensuring continued congestion on the non-toll roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 PM

528 posts, read 1,283,521 times
Just a comment but do you all realize what the property taxes are in both Florida and Texas? I would guess at least double GA. I am going to get a bigger house by about 2000 square feet and my property taxes will be less than half of what I paid in NY which I would guess r close to the property taxes in both TX and FL. If you don't have the money coming in, how do you expect to have it to pay out? (not that I'm complaining about our taxes here)! Yes, I know there is no state income tax in either state but still...

Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,600 times
I don't drive the 400 in the morning but something about this set up makes my "common sense" meter go crazy. Question: What happens when a vehicle breaks down and there is no "shoulder" to park your car while waiting for help? What is the likelihood that commuters will remember to part the highway lanes like the red sea allowing emergency vehicle's to drive in the lane to the right of the fast lane? My take -disaster.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
Yes, I know there is no state income tax in either state but still...
But still, what?

Is your income situation such that not having to pay state income tax wouldn't more than make up for having property tax that is twice as high? For most people, you'd have much more money in your pocket if you doubled property tax but got rid of state income tax.

I don't know about Texas, but Florida has laws in place that severely limit how much your property tax can raise every year. My parents have lived in the same home for 17 years, and even though the value of the property has skyrocketed, their property taxes are next to nothing because they are only allowed to go up a small percentage regardless of what the values do.

Don't worry. Between state income taxes, ad valorem taxes, property taxes, gas taxes, etc., Georgia gets plenty of money. The fact that it isn't spent wisely is much more a reflection of the leadership in place than it is the budget they have to work with.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I just went to Google maps and looked at Dallas and Houston. Both put Atlanta to shame.
Creating a great city takes a lot of chutzpah and I'm not sure Atlanta is in that space anymore. Great projects like the Interstates, MARTA, Lake Lanier and the airport weren't built because somebody got out a slide rule and calculated how many trips per day at X cents per trip would be made, but because people said, "We need this!"

If folks had sat around debating whether the Golden Gate Bridge or the Holland Tunnel would improve traffic in their neighborhood or whether Hoover Dam would lower their water bill they would never have been built. It's the same with virtually every other major achievement.

To move forward you need a vision of your future and you have to be willing to invest in it. Otherwise, you quibble yourself into mediocrity.

Wonder why have other cities been forging ahead with new roads and rail systems? They probably used to ask the same thing about us.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Atlanta isn't the first metro to use the shoulder as a lane -- Boston is doing the same thing so it must be working at least somewhat.

Light rail is a nice but we are one of the lucky cities to have heavy rail infrastruture which is even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
They aren't just building roads, but also a pretty extensive light rail system. We can't seem to build roads or transit, just cheap solutions like turning a shoulder into a temporary lane... and people here really wonder why Dallas is doing better than we are...

Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM

497 posts, read 695,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Light rail is a nice but we are one of the lucky cities to have heavy rail infrastruture which is even better.
I disagree. Light rail is better because it is much less expensive and quicker to build. Expanding MARTA would be great, but to do it as a heavy rail system would be cost prohibitive. If we are to expand our mass transit system, I believe light rail is the only way to go.

I believe the main issue in this whole transportation debate is that we lack the leadership that is willing to make difficult decisions. Building new roads and reconstructing current roads can be a complete nightmare for years. It's ugly, frustrating and oftentimes unpleasant. But the end result makes it all worth it. Now we just need to identify some forward-thinking elected officials who want to lead the charge .

Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Heck, in the mean time, they could just put in BRT that just connects from a station to the existing marta train station. And nowheres else. Just a straight line with very few stops.

So in essence, they could build out the r.o.w. for a train but put in a bus until the money was is place.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Fine with me, I was just pointing out that we have a good base here and can add light rail to link up to Marta as opposed to starting with nothing like many cities who are finally starting to get light rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
I disagree. Light rail is better because it is much less expensive and quicker to build. Expanding MARTA would be great, but to do it as a heavy rail system would be cost prohibitive. If we are to expand our mass transit system, I believe light rail is the only way to go.

I believe the main issue in this whole transportation debate is that we lack the leadership that is willing to make difficult decisions. Building new roads and reconstructing current roads can be a complete nightmare for years. It's ugly, frustrating and oftentimes unpleasant. But the end result makes it all worth it. Now we just need to identify some forward-thinking elected officials who want to lead the charge .

Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I can't stand the overhead power lines associated with most forms of light rail.

If they can put the power in the tracks like on heavy rail and make the trains look normal instead of having that goofy antenna that grabs onto the overhead power lines, I wouldn't really have a problem with it.

However, light or heavy, I believe in exclusive right of way. No stops for traffic or the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta