Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,533,986 times

Advertisements

Essay blasting reality shows’ portrayal of black Atlantans goes viral | The Buzz

Angry Black Woman speaks out about show....very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM

Naw don't even try it.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,998,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
What happens to the women when the looks start to go? What happens to the thugs when they hit 35? Not everyone will be Diddy or Jay-Z..
Hey, 35 is just the beginning of life. Many folks don't know enough to appreciate what they have up to that point.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 PM

Episode 2 tonight...bask in the glory. Joseline Hernandez is a household name in Atlanta....yep

Old 06-25-2012, 12:58 PM

402 posts, read 701,395 times
So is the hatred of this show racist because it portrays Atlanta and black people poorly, or are the creators of this show racist for portraying black people like a bunch of morons?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,239,675 times
I caught a few minutes of this show over the weekend and I have to say ... do the producers of this show believe the viewing audience are complete idiots? There is NO possible way this show has any ring of truth to it. The overacting by these women and men is horrendous. I mean it was just plain really bad acting ... no real person is that over-wrought in his/her behavior.

The drink throwing was so obviously staged - the timing was off. It was if in a few spots they were actually reading a tele-prompter (watch their eyes dart). At least with the Atlanta Housewives they're better actors/actresses.

If I were someone who lived in Atlanta and had a stake in the Atlanta hip/hop music scene I would be livid that some of these "want-my-fifteen-minutes" types were destroying the country's image of the scene. I was embarassed for those women/men on that show, Geez, if you're going to completely script your show, at least get decent actors/actresses and call it a scripted drama.

Oh and is that chick with the short hair transgender?

Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
So is the hatred of this show racist because it portrays Atlanta and black people poorly, or are the creators of this show racist for portraying black people like a bunch of morons?
Neither and neither. Here is where the hatred comes from.

You have the Educated/UncleTom/Bougie/Progressive Blacks and you have the Uneducated/Ghetto/Wannabee Diva/No Morale Blacks. So really the fight is between two factions of black people. Ultimately it is a fight for control of what America thinks of black people. Mostly Black people in Atlanta, which is a whole other bread. I honestly think the entire fight is funny. The producers know exactly what they are doing. No one has noticed that first show is NOT called Love & Hip Hop NEW YORK, but instead just Love & Hip Hop. Agendas lol....Black Celebs is a major part of Atlantas economy. Its part of the tourist trap of it all. You all can not believe how many WOMEN love & worship these shows.

Love & Hip Hop Atlanta premiere draws over 3.5 million viewers - Mona Scott-Young - Zimbio

One thing about anything. Numbers do not lie.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:47 PM

449 posts, read 1,172,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
Hey guys...

why does hip hop always have to be associated with something violent for it to be considered "authentic"? I thought it was supposed to be poetry? I hear so many people say things like "real hip hop is Jay or Ye or Tribe" but in the same breath say things like "most of these guys out here now aren't hard". I don't get it.

And you can't hate on someone like soldier boy and some of that other music that's out right now.If anything hip hop has gone back to it's party music roots albeit sounding a bit different. These dudes don't be talking about anything but partying and being young. Let them be

Hip Hop is deeper than most people realize. It's like a religion and it's presence has permeated the way we Americans all approach issues, tell the news, wear our clothes etc. That's a powerful thing.
Everything doesn't always have to be so serious. Let these folks on love and hip hop do they thing. The s**t's entertaining
When people say hard, I think they mean that these new artists don't stand for anything and make lame, watered down, commercial garbage.

I don't think they literally mean that the artist isn't gangsta.

True, hiphop did start as party music, but I don't wanna hear this mindless garbage with no substance at all.

At least put some effort into your music.

Sugar Hill Gang, Kurtis Blow, and Grand Master Flash & The Furious 5 had party songs, but also had songs with content and a message.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM

449 posts, read 1,172,171 times
As far as this show goes, I saw the first episode and was entertained.

Reality shows starting cast members of all races display cast members acting a fool.

Some of the females on the show actually conduct themselves properly IMO and aren't as buckwild as a few of the cast members on Basketball Wives.

This show doesn't portray blacks in a positive light, but there are bigger fish to fry than a few reality show cast members acting belligerent IMO.

AIDS, spending habits, mentality (which is poorly shown by some on this show), etc are issues I'd rather focus on in my community

Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
When people say hard, I think they mean that these new artists don't stand for anything and make lame, watered down, commercial garbage.

I don't think they literally mean that the artist isn't gangsta.

True, hiphop did start as party music, but I don't wanna hear this mindless garbage with no substance at all.

At least put some effort into your music.

Sugar Hill Gang, Kurtis Blow, and Grand Master Flash & The Furious 5 had party songs, but also had songs with content and a message.
Then just admit you want conscious rap. Don't pretend rap started off that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta