Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times

Advertisements

recently i've become interested in streetlights, and i wondered why all the streetlights here in the metro atlanta area are orange, when i remember as a little kid (early 90s) that they were green!

i then found out that the old streetlights, from around the late 1930s to the 1980s and early 1990s were lit by mercury vapour bulbs which cast a green glow. they've gradually been replaced by high pressure sodium lights which glow a yellow-orange colour at night.

however, i took a trip to greenville (SC) last night and i saw that most of the streetlights there were still mercury vapour powered, whereas i don't remember seeing any MV streetlights still remaining in the atlanta area.

here's the difference between the two:

mercury vapour:

new high pressure sodium lights:

honestly after driving through greenville i really miss the soft green glow of the old streetlights. it's strange that something so major has happened, that our entire world at night has changed and not many people have noticed.

does anyone know if there are areas of atlanta where the old ones haven't been replaced?

Last edited by bryantm3; 05-22-2012 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 AM

230 posts, read 492,681 times
Cool, I never knew that. I grew up several years after you mid to late 90's & always saw HP sodium lights. Sorry mate, I don't know of any places.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
The newest trend among streetlights are LED. They burn brighter, use 40% less energy, and last longer.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
In Baltimore, mercury as well. Used to turn bright green/blueish then you knew it was time to head inside of the house!

Last edited by PKCorey; 05-22-2012 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM

284 posts, read 590,435 times
The HP sodium lights are also less impactful to insects and birds. While all artificial lighting causes confusion in creatures (including humans whose circadian rhythms are thrown off by LED bluish lights or night brightness), HP sodium seems to cause less issues...maybe because the orange color doesn't "travel" as far? Bugs aren't "attracted" to artificial light-- they are dazed by it, and bug mortality has increased as more outdoor lighting has increased since they are sitting ducks for predators or collapse in exhaustion. Birds falling dead out of the sky or having confused migratory paths is also blamed on light pollution.

There were always tons of fireflies in Atlanta (we still have a good many thanks to our many parks and streams), but the more streetlights you have, the less you will see them. They like other night bugs tend to prefer light that follows the strength of the moon. Obviously those prison-level blazing security lights on every corner of the house are a bit brighter to them. I know, some people will be "its a bug...if it dies that's less I have to spend on the pest control service" but these bugs eat mosquitos, pollinate (moths) and would probably prefer to go about their business than be sucked into the brightness next to back doors and sidewalks.

I am glad more cities are taking care to reduce the glare of outdoor lighting by ensuring the lights are covered and directed more like a spotlight than a floodlamp. Its actually safer-- "floodlights" create deep shadows and silhouettes, where you can actually see more with a directed light.
I always hated the buzzing noise the old streetlights made when they came on...

Anyone remember when ATL couldn't pay their electric bills and the connector had no lights at night? Conversely, I remember when the huge bridge downtown (by Grady) first got the interior lights installed and they turned ALL of them on. Talk about being blinded!!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,207 times
Actually plasma technology is even more efficient than today's LED when it comes to lumens per watt, although price might sway in LED's favor right now. Something like LG PLS holds a lot of promise, even for indoor horticulture. As for LED's, I personally love the tech but only a few manufacturers at this juncture produce anything of quality (Cree & Osram, then you have a bunch of Chinese outfits).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The newest trend among streetlights are LED. They burn brighter, use 40% less energy, and last longer.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
In fish tanks, you can get blue LEDs that are supposed to be good for the fish because they mimic light from the moon.

What if we replaced everything with blue LEDs? It would look odd, but I wonder if the soft glow of moonlight would be better for the environment.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,207 times
Perhaps if science can yield which nm spectrum actually mimics the moonlight, then it is plausible.

Going back to the topic at hand, LED would be a good way to go, but the spectrum blend has to be an ideal mix while the lens angle is wide enough for decent coverage. The lens angles are critical in the overall application because at wider angle you start to lose lumens. In horticulture application you typically see 60 degrees to 120 degree lens all blended before reaching the plant canopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
In fish tanks, you can get blue LEDs that are supposed to be good for the fish because they mimic light from the moon.

What if we replaced everything with blue LEDs? It would look odd, but I wonder if the soft glow of moonlight would be better for the environment.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:36 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
recently i've become interested in streetlights, and i wondered why all the streetlights here in the metro atlanta area are orange, when i remember as a little kid (early 90s) that they were green!

i then found out that the old streetlights, from around the late 1930s to the 1980s and early 1990s were lit by mercury vapour bulbs which cast a green glow. they've gradually been replaced by high pressure sodium lights which glow a yellow-orange colour at night.

however, i took a trip to greenville (SC) last night and i saw that most of the streetlights there were still mercury vapour powered, whereas i don't remember seeing any MV streetlights still remaining in the atlanta area.
If you fly over the Atlanta metro at night, it becomes obvious that there are two distinct types of lighting that are common in the metro: the orange sodium lights, and others which are much whiter in color. Everything is a patchwork, and I would guess that the mix is roughly half and half, but I suspect most of the non-sodium lights are in commercial parking lots and similar places while the sodium lights are lining residential streets.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
If you fly over the Atlanta metro at night, it becomes obvious that there are two distinct types of lighting that are common in the metro: the orange sodium lights, and others which are much whiter in color. Everything is a patchwork, and I would guess that the mix is roughly half and half, but I suspect most of the non-sodium lights are in commercial parking lots and similar places while the sodium lights are lining residential streets.
yes, that's what i was thinking— but the whitish coloured ones are mostly the new metal halide lights. i've seen very few of the MV lights in atlanta, just one or two here and there that got looked over. anyone know when they replaced them all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta