Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,165 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any places on any of Atlanta's lakes (Lanier, etc.) that are good for a few days of a cheap on-the-water vacation?

Can't afford the beach this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:02 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Check out the Lake Lanier Islands Resort (Resorts in North Georgia near Atlanta | Lake Lanier Islands Resort | Hotels in Buford GA). Not sure if it fits the definition of "cheap" you're looking for, though. You could also consider renting a cabin in N. Ga. near one of the lakes (Nottely, Carters, Blue Ridge, Rabun, etc.) and renting a boat for a few hours each day. That area has great hiking, day trips (such as to Amicolola Falls) and local things to do for a family. I think you'd have fun! Look, too, for places over at Lake Oconee. There is a Ritz-Carlton, but it ain't cheap.... But, there are other options such as Home - The Lodge on Lake Oconee.

Best of luck!

Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 PM

Oops... Forgot about this one: Holiday Harbor Marina, Boat Rentals, cottage rentals, rv, camping

Old 07-10-2014, 06:21 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
Callaway Gardens is awesome and the cabins are very cheap. They have a lake but a lot more.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Callaway Gardens is awesome and the cabins are very cheap. They have a lake but a lot more.
Calloway is one of my favorite Georgia places!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:45 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Don't be so sure you can't afford the beach.

The Panama City Beach area was so overbuilt during the real estate boom that the amount of capacity in the area is astounding. You can usually negotiate really great deals. Most resorts will lower their prices if you tell them you saw something in their buildings on VRBO for cheaper. I bet you can get a nicer place on the beach there cheaper than on a lake in Atlanta.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,643 times
That is a great point, ATLTJL. If it's about not wanting to or having the time to drive far, then it makes sense, but you are correct. There are some mighty cheap places to stay at the beach, PCB, Destin area, etc. The lake might be more peaceful though. . .:-)

Old 07-11-2014, 12:53 PM

304 posts, read 324,969 times
Lake Lanier is often too crowded for my taste. I agree Calloway Gardens is very nice, and definitely more variety of things to do.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Don't be so sure you can't afford the beach.

The Panama City Beach area was so overbuilt during the real estate boom that the amount of capacity in the area is astounding. You can usually negotiate really great deals. Most resorts will lower their prices if you tell them you saw something in their buildings on VRBO for cheaper. I bet you can get a nicer place on the beach there cheaper than on a lake in Atlanta.
Good job ATLTJL. I agree 100%.

Went to beach 2 weekends ago, and I didn't have to spend too much. Actually, went to Chattanooga last weekend, and found that I had to spend more money in Chattown than in Fort Walton, and Fort Walton was a MUCH better time.

Don't assume you can't afford the beach. If you can afford vacationing at the resorts around the lakes around ATL, you probably can afford the Gulf Coast. Just have to suck it up & put in the time to get there. I assume you saying "can't afford" means you're assuming you need to buy plane tickets. I drove to Fort Walton Beach in 4.5 hrs. And Panama City is about the same drive if not a few mins shorter. It's not that bad... When you are laying in snow white sand, it's so worth the drive... And not a wallet buster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta