Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,273,759 times

Advertisements

Here's the latest traffic survey for major cities across the country. We didn't even make the top 10 list.

Here's the article:

The worst traffic In America? It's not Los Angeles - Yahoo! Autos

And here's the overall survey:

INRIX National Traffic Scorecard

We're ranked #15, and show a 33% reduction in wasted hours vs. last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 06:58 AM

3,695 posts, read 5,939,563 times
Right, I've long thought the idea Atlanta's traffic is worst in the country is a bit off. Atlanta traffic seems quite consistent and predictable. If you can avoid driving directly from suburbs to downtown during normal commuting hours, you'll be fine.

I view the TIA more as an effort to grow capacity to accommodate a couple million more people than I do for traffic relief.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:45 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,384,400 times
I dont need polls to tell me how annoying it is sitting on the highway for hours at a time. And just because there are cities that are worst doesnt mean that it doesnt still suck here.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,704,209 times
Quote:
I dont need polls to tell me how annoying it is sitting on the highway for hours at a time. And just because there are cities that are worst doesnt mean that it doesnt still suck here.
That was your choice when you decided to commute. There are alternatives to driving, such as transit.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,743,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That was your choice when you decided to commute. There are alternatives to driving, such as transit.
I agree with this. You can also chose to live closer to your job. We did when we got sick of traffic and now have a 10 minute commute.

I actually never thought that Atlanta has the worse traffic in the country. I have been stuck in many a Chicago traffic jams that are MUCH worse than Atlanta traffic and my dad who is a long haul driver said the worse traffic for him is always going through PA into NJ, he evem mentions the Penn Freeway, which is mentioned in the article. He also said that Dallas or Houston (can't remember which one) was worse than LA but that was a few years ago when they were doing a lot of construction in one of those cities.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:46 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,123,860 times
Atlanta traffic is bad in spots, and usually only at certain times. Sure, if you happen to commute on I-85 or GA400, which are really the two worst roads, during that range of time, it will suck. My personal opinion, as one who has driven in other large cities for many years, is that the hype over traffic here is for the most part just that....hype. You get volume, but it typically moves and is only evident during a very short rush hour window.

Would it be nice to have less traffic and be like Atlanta was when I first came here in 1982...sure. Is Atlanta worse than other small cities and what some people here grew up with in the south...sure. Is it on the scale of NY, DC, LA, Seattle, Boston? I don't think it is (and have said that consistently since moving here in '07) , but opinions are like you know what, so I'm sure someone will be along soon to proclaim the traffic apocalypse here in Atlanta and how it will all go away if we just pass another penny sales tax.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,630,813 times
Atlanta traffic may be heavy during the designated rush hours M-F 7-9am, 4-7pm. Otherwise this city is extremely easy to move around. Rush hour in NYC is a 24hr a day thing! Atlanta you should feel extremely lucky.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Atlanta traffic may be heavy during the designated rush hours M-F 7-9am, 4-7pm. Otherwise this city is extremely easy to move around. Rush hour in NYC is a 24hr a day thing! Atlanta you should feel extremely lucky.
As a fellow native NYer, that's exactly my point. I think it gets lost on many here who have become conditioned to the hype and have no basis for comparison.

It doesn't make the traffic that does exist in Atlanta good, and doesn't mean we all jump for joy that people sit on GA 400 and I-85 daily, but this view that somehow our economy will shut down because we have this crippling traffic is just nonsense.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,704,209 times
I think its other southern cities pointing out our traffic problems to potential companies that are building the hype.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I think its other southern cities pointing out our traffic problems to potential companies that are building the hype.
I can understand that position, but look at the reality. Look at companies moving here versus Charlotte or B'ham, and look at the residents of each area.

As far as education, Atlanta has the HOPE Scholarship, GA Tech, GSU, Emory, Morehouse, and others. Charlotte has UNC Charlotte. B'ham has UAB.

As far as Fortune 500, I posted in another thread about the corporate HQs here from Fortune 500 companies. The tax structure in GA is much better for both companies and individuals than NC. AL also has a decent tax structure, but it's Alabama, and other than maybe Huntsville, where can you put your children in school without going private? Certainly not in B'ham or Jefferson County which was recently bankrupt. Who wants to move to Alabama from anywhere outside the south?

Then there is the airport that everyone on this forum is so proud about. I just checked out the new international terminal and the experience there is so much better. Where can you fly to from B'ham without changing in Atlanta? CLT is an adequate airport and US Scare does have many direct flights, but it's still not on the same scale.

Additionally, Charlotte has its share of traffic. Commuting on I-77 isn't a picnic from around exit 30 to I-85. Inbound on I-85 in the morning is pretty bad too. It's just a smaller city so the scale hasn't caught up yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta