U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 33,427 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are not from Atlanta. We are interested in knowing some safe areas in Atlanta that we can buy a house, that doesn't cost me my first born child. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by MRSDR; 09-21-2007 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
JPD

7,936 posts, read 8,219,056 times
First we need to know the dollar amount of a "first born child".

Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 33,427 times
I mean my husband and I really wanted it all for 200K. Reality set in, and now we are more concerned with the neighborhood and quality of the home, not the size. So basically, we want a detached home, safe neighborhood for under $230K. We don't currently have children, but we don't plan on moving for at least 5 years, so we want to consider the quality of the elementary schools.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:34 PM

136 posts, read 317,622 times
There is a subdivision in Roswell called Crabapple Lake. The houses are on the smaller side and you may be able to get one of the small models for under $230k. The area is safe and the school district is very good. My mom has lived in Crabapple Lake for 12 years and my sister lives in that school district and has been very happy with the elementary school. Her oldest just started the middle school this year.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 PM

9,129 posts, read 21,695,956 times
Here's the problem - crime here is "mobile". While we do have what you'd call designated "bad neighborhoods", crime doesn't stay in them. The people who commit the crimes drive fancy SUVs and head out to the burbs or other outlying areas and do their crimes just as much as they do in the bad neighborhoods.

Some people think that if they buy in an upscale subdivision they're safe, but that's not always the case. A good example is what's happening recently in an upscale (as in $350,000 to $500,000 home) subdivision in South Fulton that isn't that old. Gangs of teens robbing them left and right. Story and video here: Group Of Teens Accused Of Home Break-Ins - News Story - WSB Atlanta

The only way you can be guaranteed (and even then not 100%) of living in a completely safe and protected area is to buy into a subdivision that has a security guard manning a gate at the entrance. And I can promise you, you're not going to get a home in one of these places for the $200ks.

Local police departments will *sometimes* give you stats or observations of a particular neighborhood if you find a place in one and call to ask them about it. Sometimes they'll link you up with a detective who will give a yay or nay in their opinion. Other times they act like they're too busy to bother with you - depends on the police department/town/suburb.

Your best options are to find an area you like, ask questions about it here and with the cops, then once you move in, follow basic safety stuff. Leave security lights on at night, don't leave doors/windows/cars unlocked, use good locks with long screws in the plates in the doors, and a security system, etc etc.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:47 PM

483 posts, read 1,443,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Your best options are to find an area you like, ask questions about it here and with the cops, then once you move in, follow basic safety stuff. Leave security lights on at night, don't leave doors/windows/cars unlocked, use good locks with long screws in the plates in the doors, and a security system, etc etc.
Or you could do what we do up here in the mountains - leave Granny at home with her shotgun.

No joke - you'd be hard-pressed to find a Grandma around here who DIDN'T know how to use a shotgun, if need be. Tends to make crooks think twice.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:32 PM

150 posts, read 341,454 times
I disagree that you need a guarded community. I feel very safe in our subdivision without a guard. Some 200's subdivisions in Alpharetta are Fairmont, Winthrope Chase, Winthrope Park, Breckenridge, Coventry.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:13 PM

9,129 posts, read 21,695,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomaark View Post
I disagree that you need a guarded community. I feel very safe in our subdivision without a guard. Some 200's subdivisions in Alpharetta are Fairmont, Winthrope Chase, Winthrope Park, Breckenridge, Coventry.
I said you would need a guarded community in order to be almost guaranteed a safe environment. I didn't say that none exist. It's just hit and miss, and even places that cost a lot of $$ and are considered "higher end" can have crime problems.

This is why people have to do some investigating and question-asking to the police (or even potential neighbors) before they decide to buy in an area.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:52 PM

677 posts, read 1,730,194 times
I dunno. It seems like maybe we need some clarity on what it means to be "safe". There's a big difference between living someplace where you could be hit by a random bullet, have to fight your way through drug dealers to get to your car (assuming it's still there), or stand a good chance of having your purse or wallet expropriated, and someplace where there's a statistical likelihood of having some sort of property crime occur near you.

Even after our house in the Tucker/Norcross area was broken into during the day and a bunch of our stuff was stolen, neither my wife nor I ever really felt "unsafe". Upset, sure. More cautious about locking doors, making sure we had serial numbers, etc. on everything, absolutely. But neither of us ever had a moment's additional concern about our personal safety or that of our kids. We had one or two home burglaries a year in our neighborhood of 260 houses, a lot fewer than most of the surrounding neighborhoods, but to the best of my knowledge no one in the neighborhood was ever attacked or robbed during the ten years we lived there.

There are plenty of areas of Atlanta where I don't/wouldn't feel safe, but to assume that because those places exist in the Atlanta area that no place in the Atlanta area is safe is just ludicrous. Most suburban neighborhoods have a certain level of property crime, but assuming you're not near an area with heavy drug/gang/street crime activity, you're not likely to be unsafe. Your stuff may be a different story. We'd all prefer to live someplace where crime never occurs, either violent crime or property crime, but that's not realistic for most of us. Everyone has a different level of tolerance for things, so places where I feel completely comfortable would no doubt give others the heebies, but there are plenty of places that don't cost millions of dollars where the average, reasonable person is not going to feel threatened.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 PM

180 posts, read 30,992 times
And at the other end of the spectrum, I live in a nice neighborhood South of Downtown Atlanta, and in my 12 years of living here I have never even seen a crime or known anyone who was a victim of a crime, and my house has never been burglarized. But if you depended on people's perception, Downtown/South Atlanta would be a dangerous area with a lot of crime....while Tucker would be considered much safer and not much crime. It all depends on exactly where you choose to live within an area of Atlanta. The streets around my house and in my general area are all quiet and I feel very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta