Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 03:24 PM

15 posts, read 48,736 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Bridgemill in Canton which isn't technically Atlanta, but I just want to know what do you love and hate about living in or around Atlanta?
If anyone has lived or living in Bridgemill that can share their experience that would be awesome too.
But what do you love and hate about living in the Atlanta area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
We live about 5 miles from Bridgemill in Harmony on the Lakes and we love it. The area is still growing even with the economic downturn, so there's plenty to do without leaving the general area. There's a new aquatics center being built only a few miles from you, and a new outlet mall starting to be built a few exits south on 575. There's plenty of shopping, restaurants and entertainment, and the schools are excellent.

The biggest complaint most people have about the Atlanta area is traffic, and that's a non-issue up in Cherokee County. Unless you're traveling to Atlanta proper for work, it won't be an issue.

It might help to know where you're moving from, and what your lifestyle and expectations are- that might get you better responses.

Ohh- BTW- Bridgemill has long been mentioned as having a very active swingers population- it was even discussed on Oprah. So if you're into that, you'll be very happy- if you're not into that, don't cruise around the Publix across from Bridgemill with an upside-down pineapple in your cart.....lol

Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 PM

15 posts, read 48,736 times
I am moving to Bridgemill from Annapolis, MD.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvz_Pink09 View Post
But what do you love and hate about living in the Atlanta area?
I can't think of much that I really love or hate so I'll just give you a list of my likes and dislikes.

Likes...
Proximity to large lakes
proximity to mountains
proximity to other recreation
Shopping (it's not miami or nyc but it's pretty good)
Restaurants (there's a few)
Traffic? What traffic? (I'm not being sarcastic)
The drivers. Courteous to a fault (Except Alpharetta! Sorry!)
I like that there aren't speed traps everywhere you look (My county only. The west side is pretty bad with cops everywhere. Sorry!)
The diversity and different cultures
As it turns out, our weather is pretty nice most of the year.
I like how the urban area feels so urban and the suburbs feel so peaceful
I like how woodsy the area is.
I find the cost of living to be quite acceptable
a fair amount of grocery shopping options
High museum
The sports teams
It doesn't seem like there's as many mosquitoes here as other cities to the north and east
Not a lot of gated communities and private roads.
I like how there seems to be public water and sewer just about everywhere (some take that for granted)
Easy access out via the Eisenhower system

Not so much...
The sprawl
Where are all the dentists?
The heat (Memorial Day - October)
Ice storms
Lack of snow (many times it is below freezing but pouring RAIN)
The airport or lack thereof (World's Most Chaotic is just too far away)
Not many discount carriers ( No Jet Blue. Only recently got SW but will be losing AirTran.)
No fiber.
The people never want to do anything.
Nobody talks to one another.
Thumbs down on the local workforce
Too many really young children and family oriented everything
Too many churches everywhere and everyone assumes you're a Christian.
The accent.
Why is there so much litter and illegal dumping everywhere? (Nevermind, I think I know the answer)
Out of control development
Emissions inspections
Bellsouth
Inadequate transit
The tornados
3am thunderstorms
no limited access east-west highways north of 285
subdivisions
people walking around with guns
the drought

I tried to balance it out as best I could but I gotta go now.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Judge Atlanta by how many people who don't live in Atlanta are constantly in our forum. We recently had a guy posting about Atlanta at 9am on a Sunday on a beach in California.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
I hate it here. Pollution, rude people, no jobs. Atlanta was hit the worst of any major city by the recession. And if you're single (as I found myself unexpectedly 3 years ago) it sucks for dating. Also, a lot of racial tension (60% African American). I'm not racist, I just don't date African American women. I can't wait to get out of here. Hope I can find a job in another city.

Oh, the one plus for me is the sports. I love the Falcons and Braves. But thats nowhere near enough to keep me here.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM

208 posts, read 419,223 times
Canton has nothing, absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with Atlanta. Sure, there might be a few people from closer into Atlanta that commute to Canton and vice versa, but there are also a lot of child molestors out there who haven't been caught... a STAGGERING amount... Also, Atlanta is plaged and basically RUN by the Real Estate industry... Nope, not rocket scientists like Huntsville, Alabama, Atlanta is run by people with 6 weeks of education and have the nerve to call themselves "real estate professionals". Canton is actually the epicenter of the stupidest of them all.... A genius developer decided to build a few thousand news home in Canon in 2008, his company is now defunked, it makes me sick to my stomach to even THINK of what his name is... Geeeooorgia tech is a fine engineering school, even some astronauts, but for CHRIST'S sake they need to shut down and BAN all urban planning graduates from that college! Genius and best engineers in the country, but the people who run the urban planning issues of Atlanta have been PROVEN incompetent and a poster child incompetence for the past 30 YEARS.

But I seriously feel for native Cantonites... It must be like being accused of spreading an STD when you didn't, being lumped into such a dysfunctional abomination like Atlanta when you are just a small town with honest good people...

Last edited by cityfilms; 05-25-2012 at 06:58 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 05:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
but there are also a lot of child molestors out there who haven't been caught... a STAGGERING amount...
Interesting. So you know for a fact that there's some unusually high number of child molesters in Canton, but they haven't been caught. My question is, if you know they're here, why don't you come and help the police catch them? After all, it sounds like you're psychic or something.....

Old 05-26-2012, 06:05 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Bridgemill and Canton are in Metro Atlanta.

Canton proper is an extreme outer-edge suburb. Bridgemill has a Canton address, however, it is well south of Canton proper. Bridgemill is actually just north of Towne Lake/Woodstock and just west of Holly Springs.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bridg...30114&t=m&z=12

And--Bridgemill is in the Woodstock High Cluster:

http://portal.cherokee.k12.ga.us/dep...stock%20HS.pdf

http://portal.cherokee.k12.ga.us/dep...Sixes%20ES.pdf

http://portal.cherokee.k12.ga.us/dep...Boundaries.pdf

Last edited by aries4118; 05-26-2012 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,813,069 times
We live in a swim/tennis community in Roswell (after moving from the NE two years ago) and LOVE it here. Sometimes I feel like I live in a resort with beautiful trees/flowers, usually great weather (especially spring and fall), lots of excellent restaurants, good (not NYC, though) shopping. I have met wonderful people both natives and transplants.
There are always things to do as my husband started playing golf and I am attempting tennis. Lots of little day trips, too. And, a wonderful church community.
That said, anyone who moves here needs a job first that has a decent commute and a good attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta