Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 AM

697 posts, read 3,020,775 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is not now, never has been, and never will be, a rival to New York as an arts scene. If you come here expecting more than a small fraction of the artists, galleries, institutions, etc., that are available in NYC, you'll be bitterly disappointed. That has more to do with NYC than with Atlanta, however -- almost no place can even compare with New York. There is, however, a reasonably healthy arts scene here, and the last decade has seen a real boom in the number of intown neighborhoods and developments that cater to those of an artistic bent, most of which Mrs. Garrison mentioned already.

I think most working artists or creative professionals could be happy in Atlanta provided they're able to accept what is here and work to build more, instead of complaining about what's not here. No one is ever going to build a new world class art museum from scratch, and it was too late to do so already by the time Atlanta got in the game 50 years ago. And there really aren't many other art museums in Atlanta besides the High -- the Carlos Museum at Emory is mainly an archaeological museum with some art objects (high quality, to be sure), MODA is very much a design museum (with some very interesting exhibits), MOCA is still a baby, and pretty much all the other museums in town are history or special interest museums, not art museums. That being said, the TULA/Bennett Street district (new home to MOCA, btw) seems to being holding up well after a couple of decades, the Castleberry Hill area is coming along, and Cabbagetown, L5P, Candler Park, Decatur, etc. all have enough like-minded folk and are interesting enough in their own right that you could be comfortable here, if you can accept what you'd be giving up leaving NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 03:25 PM

63 posts, read 225,654 times
thank you rackensack. Living in ny most of my life has ruined me for any other town I think. I keep comparing. Granted I am living in Orlando Fl. right now which seems to have about 1% what NY offers.

But I'm not sure I can go back to NYC real estate. That is why I am exploring other city possibilities.

My problem is that I didn't buy when I was able to - when prices were relatively reasonable. Now I am tormented by what I didn't do. When I was still there I was reminded every day that I didn't buy. because people were constantly talking about real estate. everywhere. the grocery store, the subway, in restaurants, parks....couldn't escape! If I go back there I will have to start from scratch. paying mega-bucks for teeny apartment (probably in a lame neighborhood).

Old 09-24-2007, 03:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,738,607 times
Yes, but just think of what you might say in twenty years if you don't buy today! If you really want to live in NYC, go to Williamsburg and rent for a while until you can afford something small. There are some apartment saving tips online at makingitinthecity.com, specifically for expensive cities. But if you do want to explore other arts scenes, consider Asheville, NC or even Athens, GA. Great studio arts scene in both; Athens is more affordable than Asheville.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Sweettea, thank you for your advice. it's true that about the 20 years thing. ugh. it just keeps going up. I've been to asheville. it's really cool, but no graphic design jobs for me. if I had a trust fund it would be perfect! :-)
hmmm. never considered athens, ga. I'll look into it. thanks again!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM

What kind of graphic design jobs are you looking for? FT or Freelance? Have you looked at mediabistro.com?

Old 09-24-2007, 06:53 PM

96 posts, read 405,530 times
I agree a lot with what Ms. Garrison has to say. I live in Ormewood Park, right between Grant Park and East Atlanta Village. I love where I live. I recommend Grant Park, Ormewood Park, EAV (East Atl Village), Kirkwood, Oakhurst, Decatur, Candler Park, Inman Park (Little Five Points - Atlanta's bohemian mecca).

Castleberry Hill is slightly west of downtown, like literally two blocks and has become that arts/loft area of Atlanta, but it is expensive. All of these area are accessible by bike. I suggest you look into Sopo Atlanta Sopo Bicycle Co-op and Faster Mustache Faster Mustache .
Both are very liberally minded bike groups that partake in the ocassional critical mass ride.

If you ever want insider info on Atlanta,feel free to PT me, I am an artsy, liberally minded, mid -30's (30's is the new 20's!!!!) SWF.

Speaking of being SWF, it's very difficult to meet cute, single, straight, and somewhat successful-stand on thier own feet type guys here. Just thought I'd be honest with you.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:00 PM

JBNC, thanks for your comment and advice. :-) that is very disheartening about the guys in atlanta! I'm surprised. I had a hard time finding a decent, non-commitment phobe guy in nyc!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:01 PM

Sweettea, I have a full-time graphic design job now. Yes, I've checked out mediabistro.com. very helpful! :-)

Old 09-30-2007, 06:41 PM

congrats on your job!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 14,448 times
Well, Atlanta isn't the most walkable city, but it's nice and has a lot of shopping, arts, and culture. Since you're an artist maybe you can also consider Seattle, Portland, Alberquerque (sp), Austin, and Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: