Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:10 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times

Advertisements

Even being from the South, I've never done more than pass through the ATL airport or spend a couple of hours in that immediate area.

I just spent 4 days in your lovely city and just wanted to say that other than the traffic snarls (which just made my mouth hang open!) it is really a wonderful city. The surrounding towns were great - food was absolutely fabulous - all in all, a very positive experience. I don't know that I could ever find my way around if left to my own devices, but I can't find my way around at home so there's nothing new there....

Totally impressed. Thank you to the citizen of Atlanta for a nice, friendly, welcoming attitude and a relaxing long weekend. I WILL be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Thanks Sam I Am - we kind of like it here as well. What were some of the places you visited?

Old 05-30-2012, 07:09 AM

We ate at the Iberian Pig in Decatur - twice. What a great tapas place. Excellent, excellent - and a breakfast place, the name of which escapes me, that serves collard greens and scrambled eggs?

My son is an attorney there - we did the 50 cent tour, LOL - Five Corners, Paris on Ponce (really cool), VA Highlands, Inman, Atlantic Station - stayed in Buckhead at the W but spent a lot of time midtown looking for that perfect apartment :-) Hit Piedmont Park for the jazz festival and the organic farmer's market, which I absolutely loved, and had a great breakfast there from a truck, too. (As you can see, food is what I'm all about!). Went through the Fourth Ward several times, which is so ripe for gentrification - I'd surely buy there and bet on it. Saw a lot of interstate, LOL! Ate at a Thai place my son simply called The Crazy Thai Lady - I don't know if that's really the name of it? Seems it was close to Highlands? I spent 4 days not knowing which direction I was facing.

I love the high rises with the businesses and stores on the bottom and condos/apartments above. I'm from Arkansas and they've tried that some in Little Rock in the River Market area (where Bill and Hillary visit, Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen own a place there). Little Rock, of course, does not compare to Atlanta in any way, so that's slower taking off here.

The only thing I saw that was needed is an impressive water feature (think River Walk in San Antonio :-)

All in all, very enjoyable. I hope to get to know ATL better in the future...but I may never drive, just be chauffered....

Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,086,067 times
Glad you had a lovely time in the city

Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
Glad you enjoyed. Come back anytime.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
We ate at the Iberian Pig in Decatur - twice. What a great tapas place. Excellent, excellent - and a breakfast place, the name of which escapes me, that serves collard greens and scrambled eggs?

My son is an attorney there - we did the 50 cent tour, LOL - Five Corners, Paris on Ponce (really cool), VA Highlands, Inman, Atlantic Station - stayed in Buckhead at the W but spent a lot of time midtown looking for that perfect apartment :-) Hit Piedmont Park for the jazz festival and the organic farmer's market, which I absolutely loved, and had a great breakfast there from a truck, too. (As you can see, food is what I'm all about!). Went through the Fourth Ward several times, which is so ripe for gentrification - I'd surely buy there and bet on it. Saw a lot of interstate, LOL! Ate at a Thai place my son simply called The Crazy Thai Lady - I don't know if that's really the name of it? Seems it was close to Highlands? I spent 4 days not knowing which direction I was facing.

I love the high rises with the businesses and stores on the bottom and condos/apartments above. I'm from Arkansas and they've tried that some in Little Rock in the River Market area (where Bill and Hillary visit, Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen own a place there). Little Rock, of course, does not compare to Atlanta in any way, so that's slower taking off here.

The only thing I saw that was needed is an impressive water feature (think River Walk in San Antonio :-)

All in all, very enjoyable. I hope to get to know ATL better in the future...but I may never drive, just be chauffered....
Sounds like you had a great time. I wish more tourists would follow this kind of an itinerary and not just see the typical downtown tourist stuff.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
[quote=Sam I Am;24522062]We ate at the Iberian Pig in Decatur - twice. What a great tapas place. Excellent, excellent - and a breakfast place, the name of which escapes me, that serves collard greens and scrambled eggs?

Thumbs Up restaurant maybe? They serve soul food at breakfast also...that could be it. Thanks for the shout out; glad you enjoyed urself.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:53 PM

139 posts, read 314,047 times
Glad you enjoyed it here. Atlanta is great.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:28 PM

The Flying Biscuit - greens and eggs! That was it....it happened to be close and we happened to be hungry :-)

Having never been to Atlanta, I suppose I shorted myself by missing the zoo, the aquarium, a Braves game...next time, next time...if y'all want to suggest the roads less traveled in the ATL area that are a must-see, please feel free. I have another trip planned for November - I can do tourist things all the time, but I'd rather do the things that make the area special to the residents.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:15 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Coming from such a prolific C-D poster as yourself, this endorsement really means something! Thanks Sam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta