Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,992,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This has already happened. Poverty is no longer confined to the inner cities. Just look at south Cobb, southwest Gwinnett, Clayton County, and even parts of north Fulton. White Flight: Part II is taking place, with some people leaving the suburbs for either the exurbs or the inner city again.

Poverty is not just going to magically go away. And they're not going to just magically be able to get themselves out of it.
The exodus of poverty to the suburbs is directly related to the shutting down of various projects, I think.

South Cobb isn't that bad, with the possible exception of very southern Cobb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM

31,995 posts, read 36,561,769 times
I still don't understand the argument that MARTA gets no state funding. There wouldn't be a MARTA if it hadn't been created by state law, and funded by a dedicated sales tax that can only be used for MARTA.

The sales tax doesn't apply just to people who live in Fulton and DeKalb -- it hits everybody who comes into DeKalb and Fulton to do business, whether they live in some other county or even some other state. Only the state can make laws like that.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,133,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I still don't understand the argument that MARTA gets no state funding. There wouldn't be a MARTA if it hadn't been created by state law, and funded by a dedicated sales tax that can only be used for MARTA.

The sales tax doesn't apply just to people who live in Fulton and DeKalb -- it hits everybody who comes into DeKalb and Fulton to do business, whether they live in some other county or even some other state. Only the state can make laws like that.
As always Arjay57, you make too much sense.

Of course what some people would like to see is for fares to be kept artificially low for riders, while wage earners in the entire state are taxed to subsidize those low fares and the capital costs for lines that will benefit only a few thousand of the state's 10 million residents.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 13,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Another decent discussion sidetracked by oversimple, broad brush political attacks.

We are talking zoning issues which should be a local issue. Peachtree Corners just incorporated into a "city-lite" for this reason, to have control over zoning. They won't be a true city in most aspects of a municipal government, most services will still be run by the county.

Milton and Chattahoochee Hills both incorporated with a mindset to retain their rural character. Other counties have more strict zoning than what is represented here. My home county, Meriwether, has restrictions on minimum 2 acre lots in unincorporated areas. It is not wanting to be as dense as Coweta to the north.

I am out of state and not up to date nor have I researched much further, just list these examples that I know of, but zoning needs to be a local issue. Some of you need to research some of the other outer suburban areas and what they have done in zoning that defies the blanket bashing being done by some on this thread. Just because one doesn't want the federal, state or even the county dictating local issues doesn't mean they are backwards, simple minded, fundametalist, tea party hicks.
I agree about this also being a zoning issue. Usually the development process seems to occur backwards with communities built around these sprawled out neighborhoods (my opinion..the smart growth chicken should come before the sprawled out egg, because sprawled eggs create funky chickens...lol). Usually small cities cannot execute infrastructure projects until there is a supporting tax base. Unfortunately, new roads, schools, parks, sidewalks, and shopping areas come later. Sometimes when road projects are finally executed by cities or counties they are over design capacity before projects are complete. It would be a pipe dream if parks, retail areas, bike lanes, and sidewalks were constructed prior to residential home development with developers buying into these properly designed communities. Zoning laws and city ordinances would require for developments to fit within their city's overall development plans. With developers partially funding community areas such as parks and sidewalks, this could probably cut disjointed track communities.

There is a city (not in Georgia) where developers over built a cluster of one and two bedroom adult living apartments. I think they built 20+ of these complexes in a small area. They built 10 of these large apartment complexes in a two year period! In the 80's new housing laws prohibited aspects of adult communities. Twenty years later all of these apartments are hurting the city's tax base due to eroding property values(nice executive homes near a golf course in the same neighborhood!). This low rent community is a dumping ground for section 8 recipients. I have no issue with section 8, but when poor zoning and planning permits the concentration of the disadvantaged all in one place it essentially creates massive housing projects. These areas typically have very weak economic bases. These areas in cities become economic crime ridden wastelands. It probably would of been better to spead out the recipients throughout the city if possible. Retail shopping centers and jobs are leaving. There is a lot of crime in this area. There are absolutely no parks or recreational areas since this area was an previously an adult community. All the kids hang out in front of these apartments with nothing to do. It's a huge drain on the police force with their reduced budget. Here is the kicker, this area should be prime real estate now because its less than a ten minute drive to downtown in a very large metropolitan area. The rich, affluent, and middle-class probably thinks it is not their problem since they live away in the burbs, but it affects everyone because it speads like cancer and hurts the city economically. All of this could of been prevented with constraints on greedy developers....my 3 cents!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,232,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This has already happened. Poverty is no longer confined to the inner cities. Just look at south Cobb, southwest Gwinnett, Clayton County, and even parts of north Fulton. White Flight: Part II is taking place, with some people leaving the suburbs for either the exurbs or the inner city again.

Poverty is not just going to magically go away. And they're not going to just magically be able to get themselves out of it.
This bothers me to the fullest degree. So called white flight to the burbs and leave the inner city to the poor. So now that all these suburban people want what the city has, they wanna come back. And protest and ask for certain concessions that they want. Extra amenities that they want. All this because others have found that same dream of better livin in the burbs also. So why not invest in the inner city while the current residents are there? Instead of the "Gentrification" card if you covet the city life so much help bring those same amenities to it and its current residents. Just like here in Manhattan...they only gentrified the parts of Harlem where the population is not mostly black.

Somebody said that people running to the burbs do so in vain because they arent missing anything. Well it was good enough for white flight part 1; so why is it any different now? The truth is that multi income/multi cultural is a conversation phrase that people who are in the second stage of white flight throw out but do not full believe in. Just my .02 cents.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,521 posts, read 2,232,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The exodus of poverty to the suburbs is directly related to the shutting down of various projects, I think.

South Cobb isn't that bad, with the possible exception of very southern Cobb.
It happened in my hometown starting in the late 90's...they started phasing out the projects in New Orleans and pushing people to the rentals in New Orleans East. It happens everywhere.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,724,199 times
The inner ring suburbs are seeing their demise. Soon these areas will become concentrations of poverty. What's bad is most havelimited transit, so the poor and working class find it hard to search and keep jobs concentrated in other areas. There needsto be an even dispersal of all income types across the region.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The inner ring suburbs are seeing their demise.
Gee, it looks to me like the inner ring suburbs are booming.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:08 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,224,651 times
What are the inner ring suburbs?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What are the inner ring suburbs?
That's debatable, but the Wikipedia list is probably fairly close. In general, the term usually mean the neighborhoods that experienced rapid development after cities began to decentralize. In Atlanta, that typically means from late 1940s through the 1960s, although the boundaries are not clear cut.

List of inner suburbs in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta