Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The inner ring suburbs are seeing their demise. Soon these areas will become concentrations of poverty. What's bad is most havelimited transit, so the poor and working class find it hard to search and keep jobs concentrated in other areas. There needsto be an even dispersal of all income types across the region.
Vinings? East Cobb? Poverty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,974,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
You have to be absolutely blind to tell someone that Dunwoody is laid out and has the same sprawl type development that Norcross has, or that Norcross has anything resembling perimiter center. Geeze , the average lot size in Norcross is probably double that of Dunwoody and how many sidewalks does Norcross even have?
Have you actually been to Dunwoody or Norcross? Other than the Perimeter Center area, Dunwoody is just as car centric as Norcross, probably actually more so as Norcross has done a great job revitalizing their downtown. Also, I would argue that the lot sizes in Dunwoody are much much larger than Norcross as it's a much more affluent area. I'm not sure you know what you're talking about...

Old 06-06-2012, 06:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Have you actually been to Dunwoody or Norcross? Other than the Perimeter Center area, Dunwoody is just as car centric as Norcross, probably actually more so as Norcross has done a great job revitalizing their downtown. Also, I would argue that the lot sizes in Dunwoody are much much larger than Norcross as it's a much more affluent area. I'm not sure you know what you're talking about...
The bold is simply stupid. With that logic I guess Douglasville and Cherokee county are more affluent then Sandy Spings or Brookhaven since the lots are bigger. Aside from that Dunwoody's lot sizes are barely 1/4 an acre if that. Post me link of a Dunwoody home that has an 1/2 acre lot. Norcross is full of them.

You are also trolling. No one said you didn't need a car in Dunwoody. Then to compare perimiter center with Norcross downtown? You know you gotta back this up.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Vinings? East Cobb? Poverty?
Those areas are doing so badly due to a lack of a train station and bus stop on every corner. The kids going to Walton HS are actually driving used BMWs now, as the poverty sets into the area.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:45 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Those areas are doing so badly due to a lack of a train station and bus stop on every corner. The kids going to Walton HS are actually driving used BMWs now, as the poverty sets into the area.
They do depreciate quite a bit after the first 2 years.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
If y'all people knew how to read, I said Dunwoody is.not the same as stone mountain and norcross.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Thank you for making some sense in this thread when there hasn't been much given. Will add some more from someone who has been paying attention to Atlanta's development since the late 60's (yes, I was a child, but I have always been a map/statistic geek...don't ask me why).

Many areas with a Norcross address aren't in the city of Norcross. Since the original town of Norcross is over a century old, the downtown area is much denser than the center of Dunwoody as Dunwoody is not a historical city as such, only incorporated this last decade. The dense development in much of Dunwoody is due to the REGIONAL mall, Perimeter Mall, and the surrounding development that spreads into Sandy Springs, all due to location, location, location... Specifically the top of the perimeter at its intersection with 400 coupled with a Marta line. Leave the perimeter area and head into the heart of Dunwoody and you will find large lots... much less dense than newer outer suburban developments.

Anyone who has been around Atlanta for a while knows that the area around the hospitals and perimeter mall developed just as any other part of metro Atlanta with large leafy subdivisions and strip malls. The property, because of its location in the overall picture of the metro area became extremely valuable. The development where the king and queen buildings now stand all the way over toward Perimeter was large 60s era subdivisions with large lots and rather tony houses (for the day). In the 80s, whole subdivisions sold en masse, for quite a bit over market prices, houses were rolled out and complete subdivisions levelled for these denser developments.

All of this, and I re-emphasize, was due to its location at the junction of 400 and 285 coupled with a regional mall and three hospitals and a marta line. NOTHING at all to do with the city of Dunwoody or Sandy Springs, this pattern was set forth when the area was still unincorporated Fulton and DeKalb.

Norcross developed similarly, but being outside the perimeter hasn't had the central location that compares. But suburban developmental patterns were not all that different... just nothing to compare to the Perimeter Mall and surrounding business district to make it denser in later decades.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Leave the perimeter area and head into the heart of Dunwoody and you will find large lots... much less dense than newer outer suburban developments.
So therefore part of the older inner ring Dunwoody has been leveled and now dense EDGE CITY office complexes. The Perimeter Center should be its own area because it is nothing in common with the rest of Dunwoody or Sandy Springs.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

The property, because of its location in the overall picture of the metro area became extremely valuable. The development where the king and queen buildings now stand all the way over toward Perimeter was large 60s era subdivisions with large lots and rather tony houses (for the day). In the 80s, whole subdivisions sold en masse, for quite a bit over market prices, houses were rolled out and complete subdivisions levelled for these denser developments.
I remember going to Perimeter Mall as a kid in the '80s. There used to be a huge field with a dilapidated shack on it where the Best Buy development now is. Even as a kid, I could tell that the owner of that land was going to wind up getting some big money.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thank you for making some sense in this thread when there hasn't been much given. Will add some more from someone who has been paying attention to Atlanta's development since the late 60's (yes, I was a child, but I have always been a map/statistic geek...don't ask me why).

Many areas with a Norcross address aren't in the city of Norcross. Since the original town of Norcross is over a century old, the downtown area is much denser than the center of Dunwoody as Dunwoody is not a historical city as such, only incorporated this last decade. The dense development in much of Dunwoody is due to the REGIONAL mall, Perimeter Mall, and the surrounding development that spreads into Sandy Springs, all due to location, location, location... Specifically the top of the perimeter at its intersection with 400 coupled with a Marta line. Leave the perimeter area and head into the heart of Dunwoody and you will find large lots... much less dense than newer outer suburban developments.

Anyone who has been around Atlanta for a while knows that the area around the hospitals and perimeter mall developed just as any other part of metro Atlanta with large leafy subdivisions and strip malls. The property, because of its location in the overall picture of the metro area became extremely valuable. The development where the king and queen buildings now stand all the way over toward Perimeter was large 60s era subdivisions with large lots and rather tony houses (for the day). In the 80s, whole subdivisions sold en masse, for quite a bit over market prices, houses were rolled out and complete subdivisions levelled for these denser developments.

All of this, and I re-emphasize, was due to its location at the junction of 400 and 285 coupled with a regional mall and three hospitals and a marta line. NOTHING at all to do with the city of Dunwoody or Sandy Springs, this pattern was set forth when the area was still unincorporated Fulton and DeKalb.

Norcross developed similarly, but being outside the perimeter hasn't had the central location that compares. But suburban developmental patterns were not all that different... just nothing to compare to the Perimeter Mall and surrounding business district to make it denser in later decades.
Not agreeing or disagreeing with your post; but as a homeowner in that area I need a description of what a large lot of land is that you describe. Away from the perimeter area in the direction of Chamblee Dunwoody going toward Roberts, Spalding (where I own), and stretching to the tip of Norcross at Winters Chapel. There are only a few relatively large lots in those areas away from the Perimeter. I ride those roads all the time on my motorcycle. Especially as a shortcut to Jimmy Carter when I wanna got towards Buford Highway or any other area close to 85 North. Nice curvy roads. There are however LOTs of big homes in those area. I think there are bigger lot sizes in Sandy Springs especially on Riverside riding towards Johson Ferry and coming out on Dalrymple and Roswell Road. And the strip off PaperMill leading from East Cobb between the Chatahoochie and Johson Ferry. The lots of land around Chamblee Dunwoody and Mount Vernon or on Chamblee Dunwoody towards Spalding; even in the Redfield Tennis Subdivision are not large by any means. Just my honest opinion cause I live right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta