Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Wildlife and humans have coexisted in this region for centuries. As Arjay mentioned before, coyotes are an invasive species that have moved into the southeast in just the last decade or two from more western habitats. Grew up in rural Meriwether and we NEVER saw coyotes, ever.

Contrary to the thought patterns of some who don't know the history of the region, there is a LOT more wildlife in northern Georgia than in previous decades. There is an abundance of deer on our porperty in Meriwether, it was a rare site to see them when I was a kid, now I see them on them almost daily when I am there. Wild turkeys, bobcats and now the coyotes.

Agriculture does not play as big a role as it did decades ago in much of the Piedmont. Areas where I grew up that were cleared of trees for pastures and fields have gone back to woodland. So while some bemoan growth and its destruction of the landscape, the urbanization of much of Atlanta has caused rural areas to go back to a more natural state.

As much as the "sprawl" argument plays in inner city left leaning think tanks as being environmentally destructive, the agricultural practices of the 19th and early 20th centuries were much more harsh on the landscape than what we have today.
That's true. You can thank liberals for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,100 times
Sure is a lot of dodging going on on this environmental stuff. Certain posters not addressing post they know they have no argument for and what not.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM

54 posts, read 62,029 times
While I think the issue of sprawl introduces a great subject of debate, what's often omitted from the discourse is the quality of the public schools in urban areas. While you have a few good schools (Lin, Morningside, Grant Park Charter, et al) the rest are trash. Also, many folks are simply priced out of these areas. When a 4br in Candler Pk or Inman Pk costs $500K, who the hell can afford this? Those with money and affluence. And while GP is a bit more reasonably priced, enrollment in the charter is based on lottery. If children are not selected (which as I've been told is more political and a true "lottery") they are sent to the zoned public school *hint*: poor education. Seriously, how to you expect parents to gamble with their child's education? In addition, I've grown tired of the "private school" remedy: once more, only works until one has to write the first check for $12-15K for *gasp* kindergarten!

So while it seems, in theory, that we should adopt an urban planning strategy to increase density in the core, where do you plan to send children whose parents can't 1) afford $15K+ for private school, 2) can't afford to buy in the "good areas" or 3) refuse to place their children's education in the hands of a lottery?

Ironically, I'm from the NE, am an "urban dweller", and currently live in Grant Pk. After spending months trying to find the right permanent place (decent home, decent public school, affordability, and culture), and spending $15K*2 for two children to attend private school, my husband and I are left with very few options. Hence, we are looking OTP. Wanna get people to stay: include better schools and lower costs of homes zoned to the good schools in your "urban development plan."

Last edited by 4KBH; 06-21-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM

54 posts, read 62,029 times
Inman Park Real Estate & Inman Park Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

seriously, who can afford this?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KBH View Post
What do you mean? Your link shows a 637 square foot condo listed for $285K. Surely you would rather have the smaller place with a prime location near cool bars than a "McMansion in the suburbs". You know that younger people these days want location more than space, right?

Ok, ok. I kid.

And you raise a very good point.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
You gotta pay for good neighborhood, schools, and convenience. But compare the money saved on driving less, less maintenance, maybe less on healthcare due to walking more. It may even itself out in the end?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 PM

616 posts, read 1,112,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You gotta pay for good neighborhood, schools, and convenience. But compare the money saved on driving less, less maintenance, maybe less on healthcare due to walking more. It may even itself out in the end?

You only drive less if you work near that neighborhood. If you work at Perimeter Center and commute from Inman Park, you'll be doing quite a bit of driving.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:20 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
What do you mean? Your link shows a 637 square foot condo listed for $285K. Surely you would rather have the smaller place with a prime location near cool bars than a "McMansion in the suburbs". You know that younger people these days want location more than space, right?

Ok, ok. I kid.

Why kid? I'm probably not in the age demographic you're referring to, but I would take location over space any day. In fact, that's exactly what I did at the end of last year. 637 sq. ft. would be too small, but 1000 sq. ft. (downsized from 3,000) has proven to be plenty of space.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
You only drive less if you work near that neighborhood. If you work at Perimeter Center and commute from Inman Park, you'll be doing quite a bit of driving
Incorrect, I live in Kirkwood and work in Perimeter Center. I ride MARTA, which there is a station at Inman Park, and drive very little. Less money on gas and maintenance.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post

Ok, ok. I kid.

And you raise a very good point.
To me the issue is very clear...

Look at the neighborhoods just a few blocks away... cut off (south of) the rail road tracks...

For the same price you can get a 1,800 sq ft house.

This is all simple supply and demand. There are plenty of larger homes in Inman Park... if you have $600,000. The high demand allows for some smaller or undesirable by other means to be sold for less.

Across the tracks the area is a little rougher and not as fully turned around (but its far from being the roughest area either!) and the prices are considerably lower and more reasonable. If the area becomes as nice as Inman Park, we are sure to see those prices rise.

The other issue... one of the reasons a few neighborhoods in town are becoming sooo expensive is for a city we built really low-density housing. If there is demand for a neighborhood, there isn't much housing stock to fill that demand. In other words the prices will come up faster. The other issue is... there isn't enough housing intown for everyone! as much as some people complain that not everyone is living in town....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta