Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:08 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I'd love to get some of that kind, because BCBS PPO is not doing a good job of hiding the cost of healthcare to me, at all. Curious to know what insurers do this.

To clarify what I was saying: Over the last 20+ years (I have lived in the US for 20 years, so I cant really say much about before then), the cost of healthcare has been hidden to individuals because they simply pay a small portion of the premium. Even when problems arose, they were comparatively small.

Fast forward to the 2000s, the problem has become huge. Individual premiums have become much higher. When problems arise, the out of pocket is out of control.

So, I am not saying that in today's world this cost is hidden. I am talking about the history of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:15 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Consumer Reports July 12 issue has a very comprehensive article on avoiding sticker shock with medical procedures. It would be worth picking up, especially in the OP's case.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Well, I will let you know in a year or two. My company has been self-insured for years and currently provides coverage for employees and families with zero deductible. They have BCBS provide the network and administer the payout to providers, but the money comes directly from the company and a fund they setup for the purpose.

Due to the changes mandated by Obama-care and the associated tax impacts on "Cadillac plans," starting in 2013 they are doing away with that plan and instituting a "high deductible plan." This to me is a prime example of the blatant lie that is contained in the statement "if you like your plan, you can keep it" that was throw around by our esteemed President a couple of years ago. No I can't, since my company is forcing me to change my plan to comply with your law.

Now I will be forced to have a "health savings account" and the company will fund a certain amount into my HSA each year. The plan will cover certain preventative care at 100% but all other coverage will be subject to a high deductible (not sure what it will be). The money deposited in the HSA is supposed to cover that amount, and the theory is that it will be an offset to me personally.

I don't disagree with the thought process that you care more about the cost when you pay it directly, so maybe that will finally get some sanity back into the cost structure. We'll see.

Neil (not arguing, just trying to understand):
If the same plan is offered under low deductible vs. high deductible (may be some percentages such as co-insurance may vary), do you know if there is an impact due to the healthcare act?

I know that we have changed our habits at least slightly under high deductible. If we can wait till the morning, we do. And the problem might even disappear overnight. If the clinic inside Walgreens (Physician Assistant) can administer the vaccine, we go with that.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:13 AM

957 posts, read 3,357,270 times
How many children do most of you have on this forum. Due to higher medical bills, uninsured, and state of our economy perhaps many americian families will limit to having only 1-2 children. I think in Korea, the government pays you to have more children and the medical insurance over there covers it all and the premiums are cheap. Here in U.S, if you are unemployeed or self-employeed, and want to have children I think you are pretty much screwed.

It is really sad if an american couple want to have more children, but high unknown medical costs or finances are preventing them from doing so. Very sad what this once great country has come to.

Last edited by mrpanda; 06-10-2012 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-10-2012, 11:27 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Neil (not arguing, just trying to understand):
If the same plan is offered under low deductible vs. high deductible (may be some percentages such as co-insurance may vary), do you know if there is an impact due to the healthcare act?

I know that we have changed our habits at least slightly under high deductible. If we can wait till the morning, we do. And the problem might even disappear overnight. If the clinic inside Walgreens (Physician Assistant) can administer the vaccine, we go with that.
I honestly don't know the ins and outs of the plan economics. As I said, I think anything that drives the choice and accountability to the individual is generally a good thing, but in this case it concerns me because of three specific items:

1) The statement that "if you like your current plan, you can keep it" is false given the reactions likely by most employers.

2) Healthcare costs are likely to rise more steeply as a result of Obamacare and those costs will be more directly paid for by participants in HDPs with or without HSAs.

3) Money in an HSA is tied up and cannot be invested or otherwise used to increase wealth. It's yours, but you can only use it for medical costs, so it's a sunk cost/expense, not an asset.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:31 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
How many children do most of you have on this forum. Due to higher medical bills, uninsured, and state of our economy perhaps many americian families will limit to having only 1-2 children. I think in Korea, the government pays you to have more children and the medical insurance over there covers it all and the premiums are cheap. Here in U.S, if you are unemployeed or self-employeed, and want to have children I think you are pretty much screwed.

It is really sad if an american couple want to have more children, but high unknown medical costs or finances are preventing them from doing so. Very sad what this once great country has come to.
It's a mess and is why my sister chose to raise her kids in Australia instead of the USA. 100% of medical bills are covered there, couples get paid to have babies, school system ranks right after Finland and Singapore in one of the ranking systems. Everything else there is much like America, minus all the other social problems, crime and violence, so it's not like she is even very homesick.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:36 AM

957 posts, read 3,357,270 times
Don't forget the fact that the US dollar will continue to decline in its value and the Austrialian dollar will apprecitate against the dollar. Rzzz.... i think your sister is a smart woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
It's a mess and is why my sister chose to raise her kids in Australia instead of the USA. 100% of medical bills are covered there, couples get paid to have babies, school system ranks right after Finland and Singapore in one of the ranking systems. Everything else there is much like America, minus all the other social problems, crime and violence, so it's not like she is even very homesick.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:

We are happy with two boys. Gender of the children is hardly a concern. If any thing, raising two kids of the same gender makes it easy because we plan similar activities for them. They go to basketball at the same place, into sports, etc. They both watch similar sports, shows, etc on TV, ...

I do think the US has been short on use of common sense in many aspects of the country's affairs for a while now. That is a huge problem, in my opinion.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Quote:
Don't forget the fact that the US dollar will continue to decline in its value and the Austrialian dollar will apprecitate against the dollar. Rzzz.... i think your sister is a smart woman.
It will continue to rise until they have finished selling all their metal resources to China. Which should take about 20 years, so she's got enough time to raise her kids. Not sure what will happen after that. Personally, I predict a huge economic collapse like what happened in Ireland. The Australians seem to be more interested in building 2nd homes for themselves rather than investing in future industries. There's a big brain drain, their smartest still move away to the UK or the states. But, that's getting way off topic... Hope you figure out reasonable insurance for your next baby.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,208 times
Quote:

I am glad you brought up this topic, Mr. Panda. It is a lot to think about. Your topic to me is a very person decision, whether or not to have more kids. For people in metro Atlanta overall, most people I know well with more than 3 or 4+ school-aged kids struggle financially and this is outside the debate about US healthcare. My own family has 2 kids and that is a number I am very comfortable with. As you probably have seen yourself: most people who have just 1 child sometimes wish they had one more for their own.

I know the US system is far from perfect but for now, it works for me and my family being relatively healthy. As I age, of course, I am afraid the costs for me and my own family may be daunting in this country. That is the part i am more concerned about in general. One can only do much financially to build up for the unknown future. This US healthcare system is hard on people without much resources who have extreme medical conditions.

I don't know you, MrPanda, other than what you reveal on this message board, but if you know you or your wife are high-risk due to family medical history, or age, then I would not have more kids.

Last I read, each kid raised in the US on costs about 200K for the average middle class family to be raised ( from birth to age 18 [college costs not included] ). To remove anything out of the ordinary with health or circumstances, I would look at it that way, if that is not a challenge to you financially, may be having more kids is something you want to do. I think you already know this: I would definitely have some sort of healthcare insurance to cover pregnancies. Good to see your posts here on C-D again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta