Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:47 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Just curious, Do you (or anyone) know exactly where the Paulding County land is?

(I'm sort of hoping its in a more convenient part of the county)
It ain't.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Old+Y...orgia&t=m&z=11

Georgia Forestry Commission (/forest-management/state-forest-management/state-managed-forests/paulding/index.cfm)

Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
If we have a smaller commuter airport in Paulding it would be very convenient to Cobb and the Northwest suburbs and if we have a smaller one in Winder (a northweast Atlanta/Athens joint hub) it would be very convenient to Athens, Gainesville, and Gwinnett.

However, one of these sites by themselves isn't convenient to large parts of the whole Atlanta region... just parts.

Just curious, Do you (or anyone) know exactly where the Paulding County land is? (I'm sort of hoping its in a more convenient part of the county)
It would be roughly here. Paulding County built a regional airport on part of the property.

Paulding County Regional Airport, Dallas, GA - Google Maps

Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
Personally I believe Augusta Regional would make a great overflow airport, its already growing, has plenty of land to expand, and with the addition of new flights will continue to grow.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:52 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Personally I believe Augusta Regional would make a great overflow airport, its already growing, has plenty of land to expand, and with the addition of new flights will continue to grow.
Waaayyy too far to be a reliever airport.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
hrmm... I think it would make a lovely park.

I don't really like the idea of driving off to Newnan either though. Not too many people live down that way and for a great majority of our region they would have to drive past Hartsfield to get there.

I feel like we need something that can be somewhat accessible on the northside.

or we could just cap the 85/75 connector with a runway and people can get off the plane and be right there! j/k

Old 06-16-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
Not this again.......

Columbus person... meet Augusta person... I'll let you guys duke it out

You know what guys... seriously... As is.... Columbus, Augusta, Chattanooga, and Birmingham have commercial service. They can get use to some of the major destination Atlanta businessmen need to go and most places with a single flight connection.

There is nothing stopping us from buying a ticket and using any of these airports. ... but we don't. It is too far!

Or Perhaps...in the future I'll just drive to Charlotte. Its got far better flight options and its just an extra 60 miles further than the already absurd 160 miles I would drive to get to Augusta.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
hrmm... I think it would make a lovely park.

I don't really like the idea of driving off to Newnan either though. Not too many people live down that way and for a great majority of our region they would have to drive past Hartsfield to get there.

I feel like we need something that can be somewhat accessible on the northside.

or we could just cap the 85/75 connector with a runway and people can get off the plane and be right there! j/k

Yes--Newnan is a good location for a 2nd airport, but, the only drawback is that it is in the least-populated quadrant of the Metro Area.

I don't think driving past Hartsfield is a drawback, however. I see the airports as having a symbiotic/proximal relationship--like Congonhas and Guarulhos in Sao Paulo; Gatwick and Heathrow in London; and JFK and LaGuardia in New York.

Both airports on the South and Southwest sides could be an advantage. Plus, the added benefit of MLK on Columbus.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:50 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
I also like the idea of the Paulding County airport. And they've already cleared some hurdles that could make it our relief airport.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I also like the idea of the Paulding County airport. And they've already cleared some hurdles that could make it our relief airport.
The one hurdle to overcome is the lack of connectivity to a freeway. It reaches some of the Cobb suburbs well, but traffic would have to negotiate mostly suburban arterial roads to get there conveniently.

In contrast the Winder airport has 316, so while it is further away, there is high speed and capacity access to the site.

If the projects on 316 occur to convert it to a free way more (on TSPLOST), and with the new Sugarloaf extension about to open, and the possibility of a new extension to the Mall of Georgia.

Clearly one is for Northwest Atlanta and the other for Northeast, but I like how one is better connected for its quadrant.

That is the biggest problem I see with the Paulding County site. It would be too hard to build a better connection to the airport.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:11 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
The one hurdle to overcome is the lack of connectivity to a freeway. It reaches some of the Cobb suburbs well, but traffic would have to negotiate mostly suburban arterial roads to get there conveniently.

In contrast the Winder airport has 316, so while it is further away, there is high speed and capacity access to the site.

If the projects on 316 occur to convert it to a free way more (on TSPLOST), and with the new Sugarloaf extension about to open, and the possibility of a new extension to the Mall of Georgia.

Clearly one is for Northwest Atlanta and the other for Northeast, but I like how one is better connected for its quadrant.

That is the biggest problem I see with the Paulding County site. It would be too hard to build a better connection to the airport.
It may not have a freeway, that is true. But it does have a nice four-lane highway right next door. It's a fairly straightforward drive from there southeast to I-20, or east to Cobb County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta