Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 05:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
That aspect of general culture is a lot different up there than it is down here, believe me... Some folks are that way, sure. There's always a certain percentage. However, moving down here eight years ago was a bit of a culture shock for me in that regard. There are a lot of idiots down here when it comes to spending...

(My opinion, obviously )

Atlanta seems like a city of extremes to me in many respects. In terms of real estate, various social aspects (churches versus strip/sex clubs), crime, race relations, etc. The Twin Cities is a lot more even keeled ... we always joke that a "controversial" marriage would be a Norwegian marrying a Swede...
I can see your point...but I guess I have had a different experience in Atlanta. I haven't noticed a majority of boastful people in the area at all. I have met a few of course, but they are few and far between in my experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 05:25 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
I work with about 40 people down here in ATL. In our parking lot, there are twenty $45K+ cars (and two $90K+ cars). For the most part, people here are making $60K-$80K. I just did not see that in MN. If you made $60K there, you maybe "splurged" by getting a dealer qualified used Toyota or Subaru. I don't think the people here are even being boastful, they just think that's the norm.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
I work with about 40 people down here in ATL. In our parking lot, there are twenty $45K+ cars (and two $90K+ cars). For the most part, people here are making $60K-$80K. I just did not see that in MN. If you made $60K there, you maybe "splurged" by getting a dealer qualified used Toyota or Subaru. I don't think the people here are even being boastful, they just think that's the norm.
It's not the norm to own a $45,000 car...the average salary is not even that high. It might be the norm for the people around you, but it's not representative of the entire city.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I can see your point...but I guess I have had a different experience in Atlanta. I haven't noticed a majority of boastful people in the area at all. I have met a few of course, but they are few and far between in my experiences.
I've not run into that many "boastful" people, either, but I do see a certain amount of flash here and there, mainly cars. I would guess mainly younger men who just got their first job but are still living in an apartment by themselves. I suspect it also depends where you live and/or work to some extent.

To be fair, though, nothing is "representative of the entire city". If that's a requirement for something to be perceived as different here, I guess Atlanta is exactly the same as everywhere else...

Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Default Atlanta class obsession/Class insecurity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I notice it a lot on this board and since most people on the Atlanta forum live here I'd thought it fit for the city. Why do so many people look down on low wage jobs or low income earners here? I see it a lot in the comments. Someone has to do those jobs and they are needed for the economy.

I also notice a lot of people turning their noses up at things that seem
"cheap" or "poor" here too.Its not all but a lot. People leasing expensive cars. 30k millionaires everywhere. Does the city have a history of class warfare? Atlanta is known for its flashiness.
It's not exclusive to Atlanta. It's The entire country is classest. Classism is the new racism(sort of).

People will look down on you because you drive American made cars, eat at chain restaurants, like big box stores,etc........

It's mainly middle class people that feel that they've "arrived" all while living on credit. Car PAYMENT, House PAYMENT, credit card PAYMENT,etc...........as my dad used to say, if you can pay cash for it, you can't afford it.

Most people that live like that are wannabe affluent. If you've ever had the change to interact with affluent and wealthy people, they act nothing like that.

In my career, I have the pleasure of working along side people that are massively wealthy and successful. They are some of the most authentic and sincere people that I've ever met.

The biggest jerks are not the ultra wealthy, it's the middle class guy/girl that earns $85k/year and drives a entry level BMW. It's their first time experiencing "success" and probably a first generation college graduate, most likely, they did not grow up in a home/neighborhood where financial resources were available or common. Their "new money" has caused them to see the world from a perspective of social status and nothing else. They THINK they have money or they THINK they are "top shelf". In actuality, they're what I like to call "small fries" acting as if they are "BIG MAC's". This group tends to ware their "success" on their shoulder. They have no issue with letting you know their job title, degree,etc.

I loath this group in terms of networking or befriending them. Their outlook is all about status and often times that's all the friendships are based on. Inauthentic.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I've not run into that many "boastful" people, either, but I do see a certain amount of flash here and there, mainly cars. I would guess mainly younger men who just got their first job but are still living in an apartment by themselves. I suspect it also depends where you live and/or work to some extent.

To be fair, though, nothing is "representative of the entire city". If that's a requirement for something to be perceived as different here, I guess Atlanta is exactly the same as everywhere else...
Well I agree with you...but it's a little unfair for someone to say "Atlanta is ________". It's obviously going to differ from Minneapolis in many ways, but I just can't get on board with the asserions about the general personalities of "people" in any city.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Well I agree with you...but it's a little unfair for someone to say "Atlanta is ________". It's obviously going to differ from Minneapolis in many ways, but I just can't get on board with the asserions about the general personalities of "people" in any city.
That's not an unreasonable position. I've just noticed certain tendencies down here, that's all.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
That's not an unreasonable position. I've just noticed certain tendencies down here, that's all.
Fair enough.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
It is terrible. I despise it. Everyone is driving around in a new Lexus, BMW, or Cadillac. Its ridiculous. Here I am in my Civic and feel like I can't even date because of the car I drive. Went out with a woman tonight who's driving a Lexus. I didn't want her to see my car. Its just awful and it makes me feel worse about myself. Bad enough I don't have a job. I want to move.
Damn, that's rough.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
It is terrible. I despise it. Everyone is driving around in a new Lexus, BMW, or Cadillac. Its ridiculous. Here I am in my Civic and feel like I can't even date because of the car I drive. Went out with a woman tonight who's driving a Lexus. I didn't want her to see my car. Its just awful and it makes me feel worse about myself. Bad enough I don't have a job. I want to move.
She could be legitimately wealthy. Do successful woman intimidate you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta