Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM

738 posts, read 1,373,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
New Money is all about external appearances and social status. Mediocre people acting "Top shelf".
Are we talking about people who earn mediocre salaries, or actual mediocre people -- boring, not smart, or whatever you'd consider to be mediocre personality traits?

Whether it's new money or old money, people are allowed to do what they want with it. Whether they choose to wear Gucci literally head-to-toe (I have seen this in Atlanta) and drive a Bentley, or invest it quietly, or give it to charity is a matter of personal preference that I try not to judge. Different things make different people feel good about themselves. Whatever the choice, it doesn't necessarily make them a nicer person, or more fun, or a more worthwhile human being. I do think people should be able to afford what they buy, though - if it's all on credit, it's destined to come crashing down at some point.

Quote:
I KNEW a girl that FILED for bankruptcy, makes about $14/hr and drives a 2011 Camery.
People enter bankruptcy from all kinds of situations. The means test for determining eligibility is very complex and specific, and is based on much more than one's hourly wage or what kind of car they drive. Just because someone doesn't meet your definition of bankrupt doesn't mean they aren't in a world of financial hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:07 AM

616 posts, read 1,108,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWJr View Post
Interesting topic! I recently made a trip to my company's office in ATL and was amazed by the amount of Audi's, Land Rovers and etc that passed me on 400 compared to what I see daily in SC. My thoughts were "either the people in ATL make a lot of money, or folks are living above their means." To a young person not used to having much money or success, I can see how easy it could be to fall into debt by keeping up with society in that area. The flashiness seems to be a norm..
But the perspective here is that your reference point is South Carolina. You would probably have a similar experience driving into the wealthiest suburb of any major city.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 AM

38 posts, read 62,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
But the perspective here is that your reference point is South Carolina. You would probably have a similar experience driving into the wealthiest suburb of any major city.
But I didn't refer to what part of SC. I could be in Hilton Head where there is plenty wealth, but not so much flashiness.. I've had the opportunity to travel to a few places, but the flash is still prevalent in ATL. That's just my opinion

Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM

616 posts, read 1,108,890 times
Quote:
But I didn't refer to what part of SC. I could be in Hilton Head where there is plenty wealth, but not so much flashiness.. I've had the opportunity to travel to a few places, but the flash is still prevalent in ATL. That's just my opinion
So folks in Hilton Head aren't driving nice cars these days, eh? Good to know.

I don't think many would consider an Audi "flashy". Just expensive. But to each his own.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,533,986 times
Quote:
Very true, I don't know why ATL people won't just own it. Its a city full of Narcisstic show offs, even in the poorer areas swag & flash & get on my level rule the day.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I doubt it has anything to do with being intimidated, people can be shallow and have a way of trying to make people feel inadequate. You may say--"No one can make you feel inadequate". Well, that sounds good but it's not the cause. Similar to the lie we were told as kids---something to the tune of "sticks and stones.......words will never hurt me". Words do hurt and they can hurt for a lifetime. People do try to put people in a box and place them where they feel YOU belong. Adults can be and are very often shallow. It has nothing to do with race or gender.

I'm a quiet guy, not flashy but I have a VAST amount of experience and have attained a great deal of career success. I come from a family that is VERY successful. But based on my low key style, most "WANNA BE" affluent people "dismiss" me.............little do they know. :0) So, no it's not about intimidation, it's about being shallow or lacking in character. When you've been around success all of your life and you've attained success, your outlook is MUCH different from "new money". New Money is all about external appearances and social status. Mediocre people acting "Top shelf".
what this guy said in all caps!! Pure truth.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 AM

10,736 posts, read 13,291,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Very true, I don't know why ATL people won't just own it. Its a city full of Narcisstic show offs, even in the poorer areas swag & flash & get on my level rule the day.
And that is different from any other city how?

Old 09-22-2012, 02:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,987,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
It isn't different, of course. Too many people try to characterize entire cities by their own experiences..."if I see a lot of it, then everyone is that way!".

Old 09-23-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Its way different from other places most definitely, one should always be able to make friends in a city with 5.3 million people. At a job at school or whatever, hell even in new york, but the attitude I notice is that many people prop themselves up they are better than average when they are just average. To say other places have Atl culture would not be true.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
It isn't different, of course. Too many people try to characterize entire cities by their own experiences..."if I see a lot of it, then everyone is that way!".
The majority sets the tone...it didn't happen over night. I know the tru root of it, but again, its the ATL swag attitude. I like humble normal people, that's just my preference. I'm sure there are others who like that type of characteristic. I can characterize Atlanta how I want & will. Its not like you can physically stop it. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta