Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

I always give my seat up on the train to someone who has been working on there feet all day, since I sit at a computer all day. I respect the job that they do because I once did those jobs to pay for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Even being black would not make you an expert. African americanism is not a monolith. There are all sorts of class/education/social distinctions and issues which are not simple enough to hear discussed on the news or on the radio.
Excellent point that gets forgotten by many black people, especially the so-called "leaders of the black community."

This especially comes to play when we have political campaigns that take the black vote for granted on the Democrat side. The assumption is that all black people have the same opinions and self-interests, which is not the case. Guys like Herman Cain end up taking more heat from the "black community" and its so-called leaders than they do from anyone in the white community.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I notice it a lot on this board and since most people on the Atlanta forum live here I'd thought it fit for the city. Why do so many people look down on low wage jobs or low income earners here? I see it a lot in the comments. Someone has to do those jobs and they are needed for the economy.

I also notice a lot of people turning their noses up at things that seem
"cheap" or "poor" here too.Its not all but a lot. People leasing expensive cars. 30k millionaires everywhere. Does the city have a history of class warfare? Atlanta is known for its flashiness.
I don't really see this

Old 06-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
I notice it a lot on this board and since most people on the Atlanta forum live here I'd thought it fit for the city. Why do so many people look down on low wage jobs or low income earners here? I see it a lot in the comments. Someone has to do those jobs and they are needed for the economy.

I also notice a lot of people turning their noses up at things that seem
"cheap" or "poor" here too.Its not all but a lot. People leasing expensive cars. 30k millionaires everywhere. Does the city have a history of class warfare? Atlanta is known for its flashiness.
Pretentiousness is solely an individualistic emotion. True, large numbers of pretentious people tend to congregate in certain areas, but this attitude is FAR from being an ATL/black issue. Just go on the New York board and you will see what I mean. My opinion, being a young 30's male of color is this: A lot of people regardless of color or creed, tend to put WAY TOO much stock in the material trappings of everyday life. These consumables neither define nor represent the true makeup of a person. Though we all ARE materialistic to a degree, it is dependant on how much relevance we give these material things in our lives that truly matter. We all have ambitions to acquire certain things, but whether or not I have a Bently or a Chevy, I am still that guy when I look at my self in the mirror. Those things dont represent me, I represent me. There are those who think that if you dont have X to show for a stage in your life then you have not made any progress. But then who are we to judge when someone has "made it"? That is truly a personal journey. Classism has always been the norm for some but not seen as an issue; but why? It is a problem regardless of who is being classist.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:08 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,453 times
It just irks me when posters make insulting remarks about some company or industry comming and complaining that the jobs are "low wage". As if those jobs have no purpose.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
This reminds me of one of my favorite bumper sticker quotes:
"Live simple, so others can simply live"
Because we are so materialistic in this country and get most of these items from countries where the people that produce these items can not afford to buy it themselves. We need to get over the materialistic idea and start living simpler lives. There is no reason why 1 person needs more than 1 mode of transportation. Or a 5 bedroom home, unless you have 5 or more kids.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
A lot of people regardless of color or creed, tend to put WAY TOO much stock in the material trappings of everyday life. These consumables neither define nor represent the true makeup of a person. Though we all ARE materialistic to a degree, it is dependant on how much relevance we give these material things in our lives that truly matter. We all have ambitions to acquire certain things, but whether or not I have a Bently or a Chevy, I am still that guy when I look at my self in the mirror. Those things dont represent me, I represent me. There are those who think that if you dont have X to show for a stage in your life then you have not made any progress. But then who are we to judge when someone has "made it"? That is truly a personal journey. Classism has always been the norm for some but not seen as an issue; but why? It is a problem regardless of who is being classist.
I don't disagree with your comment, although I don't see anything wrong with people who can afford to be material being that way. I'm not a flashy guy, although if I wanted to be one, I probably could be. I prefer to be more on the practical side, and as a result, some might call me boring. If I were more flashy, would that necessarily be a bad thing? Would my buying a new car rather than putting that money away be "class obsession" or "putting too much stock in material things" or just my desire to use my resources to enjoy myself in the only go around I have on this world?

I think the difference for me is the case where people cannot afford to actually live the lifestyle, but yet they do anyway and go into debt or worse. If you can afford it, why not? Of course along with that is the implicit notion of giving back to others, so that you're not being truly selfish (as opposed to the liberal notion of selfishness which is keeping what you earn so you can decide what to do with it). My dad used to tell me to give a dollar to someone in need, but to also keep and enjoy a dollar for myself.

For me, it's not a zero sum game, which is the mistake I think many make. You can have nice things but also give to charity. You can love your family and have personal relationships that are important, but also enjoy the fruit of your work. Living like a monk in a tiny shack doesn't make you a good or a better person, just as living in a "McMansion" and driving a Ferrari doesn't make you a bad person (and vice versa). The key is what you as an individual do in total.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't disagree with your comment, although I don't see anything wrong with people who can afford to be material being that way. I'm not a flashy guy, although if I wanted to be one, I probably could be. I prefer to be more on the practical side, and as a result, some might call me boring. If I were more flashy, would that necessarily be a bad thing? Would my buying a new car rather than putting that money away be "class obsession" or "putting too much stock in material things" or just my desire to use my resources to enjoy myself in the only go around I have on this world?

I think the difference for me is the case where people cannot afford to actually live the lifestyle, but yet they do anyway and go into debt or worse. If you can afford it, why not? Of course along with that is the implicit notion of giving back to others, so that you're not being truly selfish (as opposed to the liberal notion of selfishness which is keeping what you earn so you can decide what to do with it). My dad used to tell me to give a dollar to someone in need, but to also keep and enjoy a dollar for myself.

For me, it's not a zero sum game, which is the mistake I think many make. You can have nice things but also give to charity. You can love your family and have personal relationships that are important, but also enjoy the fruit of your work. Living like a monk in a tiny shack doesn't make you a good or a better person, just as living in a "McMansion" and driving a Ferrari doesn't make you a bad person (and vice versa). The key is what you as an individual do in total.
I see your point exactly. I was just stating that its a personal choice to be flashy and buy a Bently or just drive the Chevy. The individual stays the same, the vehicle is the variable. Whether or not that person takes on that persona is the issue. But we all are materialistic to a point as I stated earlier. We make the possesions, the possesions dont make us. Or at least thats how it should be. I work and play hard, but I came from nothin so the stuff I have is just a reflection of where I been and where I am. Im still that same guy that was baggin groceries and drivin a 79 cutlass in the 90'S though....I never look down at anybody...we all eat differently, Im just glad to see people eatin at all.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:49 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Class warfare is hardly a situation unique to Atlanta
LMAO, exactly! I could make a very long winded post about that, but if one seriously believes that clashes over "class" is unique to Atlanta or we somehow have an obsession with it that is higher than you find elsewhere, they probably haven't been many places...

Old 06-11-2012, 10:11 AM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I am against the "new money" culture. Maybe because I come from an old money family.

No offense, but true old money people don't usually come on internet message boards and post about how they are old money and they are against the new money culture. I am not sure that anyone here really believes that, based on your posts. However, I do think your posts generate lively discussion, so I am glad you are posting here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta