Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:38 AM

550 posts, read 989,420 times

Advertisements

We had a swim meet at Penhurst yesterday--it was really pretty, I would guess the houses would be going for upwards of my own neighborhood, nice pool, swim/tennis, seemed like lots of families. The parking lot was full of mini-vans, not Lexuses or BMWs. Again, everyone just seemed normal. With this thread in mind, I did notice some Tory Burch flip flops. But the people wearing them seemed like they were not remotely interested in what brand of flip flops anyone else had and just thought they were cute flip flops.

Re: Lovett--my impression is that this particular person's family did not scrimp and save to be there. I can see why it would be worth it do so if possible. I went to college with lots of people from the top private schools in ATL. 4 of my college friends live in Buckhead now (their kids are in public elementary) and do not fit any stereotype. I just think you will find spoiled, entitled brats in private and public, and you will also find good, grounded kids in both settings. There will always be people with more or less. I think one can opt out of being in the group where status is defined by labels, whether as a high school student or adult, and that there are enough people in East Cobb who are not social climbing snobs that you and your kids would have no problem finding friends. And that private school tuition could provide some really amazing opportunities if put towards other uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:59 PM

41 posts, read 80,495 times
You are wise, Deacongirl! Penhurst looks lovely. I just looked at a listing in there and Google mapped the neighborhood. Looks great, and I like your report from the pool. I'm excited to check out the schools and do some deeper drives into East Cobb.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 AM

So, I have been discussing this issue with people in the area, many of whom have older kids than me, and I had another long conversation with a girl who graduated 2 yrs. ago. The consensus is that while, yes, there are some entitled snobby kids, they are a small minority. Considering how large Walton is, there are so many different groups that kids can find a place where they feel comfortable and accepted with friends who have similar values and goals. One neighbor thought that possibly the East Cobb stereotype might be truer closer to Sope Creek Elem. (more expensive houses there I guess). Her one child is in pre-school closer to there and the moms in general seem to be totally put-together (expensive clothes/hair/make-up) and all the girls with the smocked dresses and hair bows. So they might appear to be more...status conscience. But then on reflection she said they have been nothing but genuinely nice, and have included her and her daughter. I admit, I am a sucker for smocked dresses and monograms...but I have a kid who wants to wear the same too small non-matching outfit every day, and we are lucky if anyone gets their hair brushed before we go out the door. People are still nice. I just don't think it is fair to say that because the school clusters may be comparitively more affluent, that the people are all shallow social-climbers.

We joined a tennis club closer to that neck of the woods. (we do have swim/tennis, but the tennis part isn't very active here and we all need lessons) The first few times we grabbed dinner in the restaurant after my daughter's lesson was over I made sure the kids were presentable, boy in collared shirt, I think I actually ironed my youngest dd's dress, stuck a bow in her hair, etc. (While I value individuality I also in theory think that in a lot of cases, when in Rome...) The fact is, no one cared. I was super adamant that my girls had to wear their coverups from the pool to the car for the first few times. Again, I was being unneccessarily uptight. The other members of the club (presumably mostly from East Cobb) are just there to play tennis and could care less if you are wearing a Lilly Pulitzer dress. Yes, the team my husband joined does occasionally talk politics while having a beer after dinner, but I think it is possible to ignore the things you don't agree with and take the good. And, so far, I think there is a lot good.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I also recommend the Murdock Elementary School district. Students at Murdock go on to Hightower Trail Middle and Dodgen Middle. The students that go to Hightower Trail end up at Pope High. The students that go to Dodgen will end up at Pope (mostly) or Walton (a few).
I second this. Great mix of people from all over. Wholesome kids. Down to earth parents. Many kids walk to school. Science and technology labs. Innovative teaching. Also had a great experience at Hightower...probably the most well run school I have ever encountered.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:56 PM

26 posts, read 86,794 times
Atlmomoftwo and deacongirl, I think we would be fast friends! I have enjoyed reading your posts. I think we have settled on the Eastside/Dodgen/Walton district, so fingers crossed that it's the best decision.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 AM

Great Claudia! I think you will be happy with that. I spoke to (I think?) the school psych. at Eastside--she was so incredibly helpful and friendly and really loved the school. My next door neighbor's daughter teaches there and she loves it. Last night I heard some very specific good things about teachers at Dodgen. I just hope you aren't buying one of the houses my parents were looking at!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 9,165 times
Hello Deacongirl
Just about to move to one of many areas discussed but an active tennis club is vital for us. Would you care to share which tennis club you go to and if possible any subdivs you know that aren't so hot on tennis?
Many thanks

Old 06-23-2012, 08:42 AM

We joined Olde Towne, which is located off Johnson Ferry across from Johnson Ferry Baptist. There is an academy for kids (which is the first thing that prompted us to look into it) so my dd11 goes 3x/week. Dh is now on 2 Alta teams there. When dd5 goes to kindy I can't wait to get back into it. There are lots of adult drills during the week.

Our neighborhood has courts, but there is not an organized team currently (it really takes someone to be dedicated to get that together). They are trying to get a women's team going for the fall and get a pro to come one day a week to work with us. I would assume there are some neighborhoods where the tennis is much more organized and active with neighborhood teams. For us it was worth joining the club to have someone else organize it, and also we basically had to for dd11 to get lessons. I am not really sure how you would find out how active the neighborhood tennis is other than to try to catch someone on the courts and ask them, or maybe you could contact ALTA.

I would for sure want the neighborhood to have a swim team--it has been a wonderful way to connect with others, and even though you can join a team if you don't have one, it is just easier if it is in your own neighborhood. Good luck!

edited to add: fwiw, I believe several of the Walton tennis players are also in the academy at Olde Towne.

Last edited by deacongirl; 06-23-2012 at 08:51 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 9,165 times
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Had a quick look at Old towne and it looks very interesting especially since it has a gym.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM

4 posts, read 5,868 times
Hi atlmomoftwo!
I have enjoyed reading your post as well as this entire thread and since it has been a little over a month, was curious if y'all have settled anywhere in East Cobb? My husband and I are in Brookhaven right now and have a baby. We are looking to East Cobb for good schools and elbow room as well. Our son is 4 months old so we are primarily interested in elementary schools, but even more immediately Day Cares. We are currently at Brookhaven Methodist Child Development Center on North Druid Hills road and we LOVE it so much. I am honestly very sad to think of leaving. Curious if anyone has suggestions or feedback on day cares up in East Cobb?

Thanks all,
Andrea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta