Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:55 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times

Advertisements

It's the ones shaped like giant fruit that I want to eliminate! I propose a...wait for it...

banana banner banning bonanza !!!! ...effective immediately(if not sooner ) .

Old 06-18-2012, 05:04 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,414 times
I think its a little excessive. The one by me, Byrnwick puts all of the high schools. There are about 10 or so and listed underneath is the High School. I think all but two kids went to the same school. All but one went to private school. Pretty sad. Remember when everyone in the hood went to the same school, neighborhood kids were lifelong friends. Now everyone is split up. Kids can't go outside to play without adult supervision 24/7. Different time.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,722 times
These BRTs are getting out of control. Time to mandate a "no banner" policy in the state of Georgia.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 PM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
...The one by me, Byrnwick puts all of the high schools. There are about 10 or so and listed underneath is the High School. I think all but two kids went to the same school. All but one went to private school. Pretty sad. Remember when everyone in the hood went to the same school, neighborhood kids were lifelong friends. Now everyone is split up. Kids can't go outside to play without adult supervision 24/7. Different time.

Totally agree with you. Very sad.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM

550 posts, read 989,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I think its a little excessive. The one by me, Byrnwick puts all of the high schools. There are about 10 or so and listed underneath is the High School. I think all but two kids went to the same school. All but one went to private school. Pretty sad. Remember when everyone in the hood went to the same school, neighborhood kids were lifelong friends. Now everyone is split up. Kids can't go outside to play without adult supervision 24/7. Different time.
Actually, all of the kids in my neighborhood except for 1 family go to our neighborhood school, and there are tons of kids playing outside all the time, without adult supervision.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
Actually, all of the kids in my neighborhood except for 1 family go to our neighborhood school, and there are tons of kids playing outside all the time, without adult supervision.
I think it just depends where the neighborhood is and where it is in it's life cycle.

The neighborhood I grew up in was full of kids when I was a really little (my sister was 12 years older than me.. she probably represented the peak age for kids in the neighborhood).

It appears the neighborhood was newly built in the 70s and many young couples moved in, had kids roughly within the same decade, and the neighborhood was full of activity. There were always some parents home from work keeping a peeking eye on the streets and many kids playing everywhere. I remember Halloween's in particular. We would walk block by block and there were always kids everywhere. It was also a large neighborhood and people would drive their kids to it from smaller ones for trick-or-treating.

By the time I graduated high school there were far fewer kids on the streets, more parents were both working, parents weren't watching their children from the windows anymore, and most all of the trick-or-treaters disappeared. We were able to easily count the number that came to our door.

Many of the homes are currently filled by retirees w/o kids that never moved back out. A few homes did in fact re-sell to newer younger couples, but at a much smaller rate. I can see how these parents would want to keep a greater eye on their children in that neighborhood now. You don't see as many kids, as many parents walking around or poking their heads out the door from time to time, and it feels more like a ghost town during the day. Don't get me wrong it really isn't dangerous at all... its just really quiet with not many people out and about.

I suspect with the great housing sell off from the baby boomer generation dying off or choosing to move to senior housing will cause the youth of the neighborhood to rebound, but probably never to the initial levels when it was mostly full of young baby boomer families.

When I look at the ARC demographic mapping data... that section of Gwinnett Co. the neighborhood is in indeed is getting older. However, when I look at the newer neighborhoods closer to Collins Hill, Suwannee, etc... you see a much younger demographic and I suspect many of those neighborhoods function more like the neighborhood I grew up in did throughout the 1980s.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:16 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
What's sad is, this is almost seen as the exception now, rather than the norm.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM

550 posts, read 989,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
What's sad is, this is almost seen as the exception now, rather than the norm.
Yes, you are correct. In our old (totally safe) neighborhood (not in ATL) I was chastised for letting my 6-yr. old and a friend play in the front yard while I was in the house. Ridiculous IMO. I am very thankful for our current location!

Old 06-20-2012, 04:07 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Yes, you are correct. In our old (totally safe) neighborhood (not in ATL) I was chastised for letting my 6-yr. old and a friend play in the front yard while I was in the house. Ridiculous IMO. I am very thankful for our current location!
Which is just stupid on their part. I remember playing with my brother in my mostly-unfenced backyard with very little supervision. Absolutely nothing bad came as a result except the occasional fight.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:48 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,540 times
I never saw them until moving here as well...

They do not bother me though.

To let a "sign" bother you is just a "sign" that you are a jerk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta