U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM

1,603 posts, read 2,684,480 times

Advertisements

I saw this article today on CNN and it made me think of this thread ...
Kid, you are not special - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,502 times
Being young enough to remember graduating high school I'll say that if you weren't popular in high school it pretty much sucked. Leaving that place is worth at least a small celebration.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
This is better

I Am Better Than Your Kids - Page 1

Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,613,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
That is awesome.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM

444 posts, read 782,694 times
IMHO, I think it's great to see the subdivision recognize the HS and college kids for their accomplishments, especially considering how many kids that fall through the cracks. My subdivision does it on a yearly basis. That's one thing I don't mind my association dues being spent on. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,622,910 times
I moved back to my old neighborhood to raise a family a few years ago and noticed this phenomenon as well. I do not remember anything like this when I was young (I graduated in '94) but don't really have a problem with it or see what the big deal is. If the community wants to recognize/encourage education at any level I think it can't be a bad thing. I am an extremely grumpy individual at times and even I think it's sort of a stretch to get annoyed by this.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM

41 posts, read 66,187 times
I am in Buckhead and don't see the signs here. We recently drove OTP, where I saw them for the first time ever, and I thought it was wonderful. The kids may be embarrassed at surface level, but deep down, how nice to feel such support from your community. I loved it. I didn't even think about its being for the parents.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
My comments are directed at the East Cobb signs that I see each day. If you are the first in your family to achieve a high school diploma that is certainly noteworthy and should be commended that you are trying to further your education beyond what has been your family's norm. I understand that and I would congratulate anyone in that situation. However, those graduating from an affluent community with all of the advantages int he World should not be commended and congratulated for doing what should be a minimum for them. Not achieving that level should be shamed rather than celebrating those that achieve that minimum. Don't set the bar that low because it breeds a false sense of accomplishment. Once you get out in the real world no one is going to congratulate you for meeting the bare minimum requirements. Time to toughen up America and get back the mentality of hard work that made this country great and not the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality that is hurting our country today.

To me this is similar to the Sweet 16 parties that have become popular. They do nothing but breed entitlement and a sense of accomplishment that isn't deserved. You have not accomplished a damn thing and yet parents are spending thousands and thousands of dollars to celebrate a 16th birthday. That is absurd. (I've seen it twice with my wife's cousins and it is sickening.)

Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM

842 posts, read 1,107,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlmomoftwo View Post
The kids may be embarrassed at surface level, but deep down, how nice to feel such support from your community. I loved it. I didn't even think about its being for the parents.
I doubt that the kids would be embarrassed by it. If anything, I think that a kid would be more embarrassed if he or she didn't make it onto the sign.

I'm only in my mid-30's, but times have changed from when I was growing up. When I played sports as a kid, the parents didn't have decals to put on their cars or signs to put in the yard. When I graduated from high school and college, parents didn't put up signs in our area. Nowadays, this is pretty common in suburbia. I'm all for it since it is not really hurting anyone in the long run.

On another note, my wife and I are both college graduates with decent careers. Therefore, if we choose to put our son on a sign it won't be because we haven't personally accomplished anything.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:34 PM

12,931 posts, read 19,824,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Wow.
It's a neighborhood thing. We've lived in several places where we had a house, surrounded by other houses, but no connection to the people living in them. Not so in GA. This is just one of those things we celebrate as a community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta