U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:48 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,333,640 times

Advertisements

Our HOA doesn't pay for the banners- parents of graduates (high school and college) paid $15 each. I think it shows community pride and support for each student whether they are finishing high school or college. For some kids, especially those with learning disabilities, passing the Georgia state tests is no easy feat and high school graduation is a great accomplishment.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:18 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,592,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Is there a "Wannabe a Hipster" manual out in the stores that I don't know about?

Hipsters were whining about suburbia and curvilinear streets... before it it was popular

Old 06-12-2012, 05:34 PM

29,084 posts, read 26,004,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
I saw this article today on CNN and it made me think of this thread ...
Kid, you are not special - CNN.com
Maybe we'll start seeing signs that say, "Sure, my kid just graduated from high school but that doesn't mean he's anything special."

Old 06-12-2012, 05:54 PM

550 posts, read 786,221 times
I loved that "kid you are not special" speech. However, I don't think that even the author of that would begrudge families and communities that want to positively recognize a rite of passage. You better believe that we will be celebrating when our children graduate from high school, (regardless of where they get into college) and I will be happy to see their names on a banner, just like I have been happy to know which kids in the neighborhood to congratulate this year.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:20 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,592,179 times
Ok when I read that CNN op-ed I was thinking.. eh I sort of agree, but than again I also thought...

Ok the next time I know someone brings a new child into this world... no celebration... whoopty-_'n-doo! Everyone is born!

but life would stink if everyone was that cynical!

Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,526,952 times
^^That's what I'm thinking. I wonder if any of these cool " meh do something extraordinary then celebrate" folk would not celebrate when their kid walks or when their kid is born or their kids first birthday or when their kid does well in school. They are supposed to all that so no praise raise?

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 06-12-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 PM

7,892 posts, read 12,087,681 times
Sigh, so, I too a life long ATLANTA resident (as in the city) had to look this up as I had never heard of it. As I read on I've gathered this sort of thing is common OT, because I've never once in 30+ years of living in the City of Atlanta had seen this personally (even living in Buckhead). So, no, OP this is not an "Atlanta" thing, rather a outside Atlanta thing. Ugh.

Anyway, I think the idea is cute...but I wouldn't be caught dead doing something like this for my kids. I was raised to never brag about accomplishments in public.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,051,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Anyway, I think the idea is cute...but I wouldn't be caught dead doing something like this for my kids. I was raised to never brag about accomplishments in public.
xmas, it's a matter of context. Suppose you were actually living in a subdivision OTP, where there was a graduation banner every year. Eventually, your kid graduates high school and the other parents ask if you want to go in on the banner, which will have the names of all the kid's classmates, and be just like the banners the kid has seen every year all the years you've lived there. Do you really think your answer would be "No, I was raised to never brag about accomplishments in public?"

Well, maybe that would be your answer, but your kid would probably feel hurt. When in Rome, and particularly if you have raised your kid in Rome, it's usually best to do as the Romans.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:55 PM

7,892 posts, read 12,087,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
xmas, it's a matter of context. Suppose you were actually living in a subdivision OTP, where there was a graduation banner every year. Eventually, your kid graduates high school and the other parents ask if you want to go in on the banner, which will have the names of all the kid's classmates, and be just like the banners the kid has seen every year all the years you've lived there. Do you really think your answer would be "No, I was raised to never brag about accomplishments in public?"

Well, maybe that would be your answer, but your kid would probably feel hurt. When in Rome, and particularly if you have raised your kid in Rome, it's usually best to do as the Romans.
I would stare at them, and then close the door as I walk back inside. Of course I'm saying this having been raised by New Yorkers whom don't take well to others telling them how to raise their children.

Ok, so that is mostly jest but it is true that the way I was raised was to not brag about accomplishments in public. It was ok if the school or local paper wanted to recognize, but the very idea of a "graduation banner" is foreign, uncomfortable for me, and frankly weird. My child would have no part of that (if we ever lived OTP, which we won't.) #childofatigerfather

Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,271,430 times
Just thought I should clarify a little.
While you only used to see a banner with all the names combined at the entrance, and only for subdivisions, now you see multiple one name banners and it's gotten to the point that some subdivisions look like a ball park with all the banners tied up on the fence. Also, you see homes outside the subdivisions doing it.

It's getting a little ridiculous, at least in my area, and it seems to be happening more and more each year. And the banners don't ever seem to come down for quite some time.

So far I've only read replies giving reasons it's a nice thing (or not) but I have yet to find out the reason parents do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Sigh, so, I too a life long ATLANTA resident (as in the city) had to look this up as I had never heard of it. As I read on I've gathered this sort of thing is common OT, because I've never once in 30+ years of living in the City of Atlanta had seen this personally (even living in Buckhead). So, no, OP this is not an "Atlanta" thing, rather a outside Atlanta thing. Ugh.
Fair point. Although the banners could spread to ITP.
Nevertheless, from now on I'll try to refer to it as something that occurs "just outside atlanta."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Have children one day. You will see
I'd rather find out what I'd be getting myself into ahead of time. They call this due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big L View Post
I doubt that the kids would be embarrassed by it. If anything, I think that a kid would be more embarrassed if he or she didn't make it onto the sign.
Good point. So what happens then?
What happens if the parent(s) didn't get the memo or couldn't afford to do it?
That makes a pretty strong case for keeping the banners out of the common area if you ask me. Again, I'm not arguing for or against that, just that I'm curious why the banners are placed in the common area as opposed to one's own property. Not the group banners, the ones that only have one name on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta