U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 AM

29,084 posts, read 26,004,616 times

Advertisements

I would guess the congratulation banners are the recent brainchild of some marketing wiz in the sign industry.

Who can resist giving their younguns a pat on the back, especially when the neighbors are doing it?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
That makes a pretty strong case for keeping the banners out of the common area if you ask me. Again, I'm not arguing for or against that, just that I'm curious why the banners are placed in the common area as opposed to one's own property. Not the group banners, the ones that only have one name on it.
Maybe they have some subdivision rule that says all banners must be placed in a certain area?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 AM

9,103 posts, read 16,950,406 times
I think the Sign Biz's are part of the factor. It now Easy & Cheap to get them made. Years ago you would have to send off to get one, would take weeks to get and would cost a fair amount of $'s Now a few minute visit to your local
Signs-r-us at some strip mall, get your a sign in a day. It Not made to 'last' a long time, but will be good for a few weeks.

And yes my HOA, does it at the entrance to our sub/div also. Goes up mid May, and saw it went down this past Monday. I have not seen the personal signed for one person with-in the sub/div. Have seen a few on home that are on some of the main road, that are not part of sub/div's

O.. I was in NC last week, and saw a bunch of them in my travels on the secondary roads.. (One person signs) most of the looked Signs the election's use. corogated plastic with the wire stands that hold them up.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 AM

550 posts, read 786,221 times
It isn't rocket science. Parents are proud of their kids. And do you know how many car pools, how many lunches packed, how many field days/class parties/plays, how many hours at the kitchen table doing homework, it took to get to high school graduation? It is an accomplishment worth celebrating, for kids and their parents.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 AM

217 posts, read 347,578 times
I'd never heard of these until someone I work with, who lives in a subdivision out in Rockdale County and has three kids, was complaining about how tacky they are. She was of the opinion that they belong hanging from the house or in the yard of each individual kid's family.

Someone in my apartment building had a yard sign made - with her daughter's picture and name on it - and just stuck out it in the landscaping between the building and the street. It disappeared one day, but I don't know if someone yanked it up and did who-knows-what with it, if the apartment management made her move it, or if she came and got it on her own.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 PM

301 posts, read 498,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've never seen these banners in Atlanta until the last year or two, but why not?

As Neil has said, it's not just finishing high school per se. It's the completion of a 12 year commitment, which is nothing to sneeze at. In addition, it's an important rite of passage to adulthood. Once you finish high school, you're ready to go to work, join the service, head on to college, and so forth. For most people it's also the time when you're able to vote, buy alcohol and fully come into grown up life.

In the old days people would take out graduation ads in the local newspaper and students would actually mail out announcements. But I guess all that has gone the way of the typewriter and the rotary phone.
Buy alcohol? I think not.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
Buy alcohol? I think not.
True. I stand corrected.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,025,634 times
I don't remember seeing these banners until very recently (few years ago) - I guess one thing that does help is if someone is looking to buy in a neighborhood, they can see the name of the High School on the banner.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:01 PM

15,221 posts, read 7,738,406 times
Okay, just visited a friend of mine a few days ago in Snellville and took the long way, not 78 all the way, and I saw a ton of these signs and they are very weird to me.

I actually have seen little yard signs where I am from, but it is in the yard of the graduate's house, not some huge display in front of a subdivision. I think it is pretty tacky and I have two kids BTW so am not a childless meany or something.

I also don't get it in that I also feel that graduation from high school is a given. I have no problems with graduation parties or celebrations or even gifts since it is a family's celebration, but I don't understand these huge banners. They are pretty ridiculous and tacky and I don't see how HOAs let them get plastered in front of a subdivision.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM

9,103 posts, read 16,950,406 times
Its the HOA who is putting them up in front of the subdivision....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta