U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,098,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Its the HOA who is putting them up in front of the subdivision....
Not always.

In fact, the days of organized group banners seem to be behind us.

I'm very involved with my HOA and we don't do a group banner. Not that many homes in here and nobody ever sets it up. But the banners and the yard signs all of a sudden started popping up at the front entrance a few years ago and they never bothered to get permission. They just put them up.

Last year I had a talk with the person in charge of the ACC and he said just to let them do it. So I went with the flow. Last year when the signs never came down, eventually we had the landscapers throw them away some time in June. I mean come on. One thing to put up a sign without permission but then to leave it there in the landscaping of your own neighborhood? That makes me wonder what the motivations are. I refuse to believe it's just to congratulate the graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,201,200 times
I'm going to file this one under "why do you care if it isn't affecting you." Some people like to do it as a little means of celebration, what does it matter?

Sure pretty much everyone is expected to graduate high school nowadays, but everyone is also expected to have a birthday each year, that doesn't mean you can't celebrate it.

My mother has a picture of me next to the sign in our yard, and I know its one of her favorite things, so that right there is enough of a reason for me.

Also I'm not sure where you got the idea that Atlanta is the only place they do this. I've lived in the southeast, northeast, and west coast, and I have seen them in all those areas.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM

14,450 posts, read 7,112,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I'm going to file this one under "why do you care if it isn't affecting you." Some people like to do it as a little means of celebration, what does it matter?

Sure pretty much everyone is expected to graduate high school nowadays, but everyone is also expected to have a birthday each year, that doesn't mean you can't celebrate it.

My mother has a picture of me next to the sign in our yard, and I know its one of her favorite things, so that right there is enough of a reason for me.

Also I'm not sure where you got the idea that Atlanta is the only place they do this. I've lived in the southeast, northeast, and west coast, and I have seen them in all those areas.

The difference is that your sign is in YOUR yard, not in the front of a subdivision, blocking the name of the community. I have also seen signs in yards all over, but not big banners in front of neighborhoods. I care because it is distracting to drivers.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM

7,876 posts, read 12,902,248 times
I couldn't read the whole thread without dozing off, but I do remember when those huge banners started showing up in East Cobb a few years back. Did seem a little strange to me for all the reasons mentioned.

For those who say they are done 'everywhere', I'll say this is our 5th 'graduation season' in north Austin and I've not seen a single one. Plenty of master planned communities and nice student-friendly subdivisions around, but no graduation signs.

They do have the 'fund raiser' type signs in some front yards, showing the name/number and sports activity of the youngster. I find those a bit odd, but certainly less obtrusive than a huge banner at the entrance to the neighborhood.

Another change I find a little disturbing...When I taught tennis in Atlanta(for over 20 years), the kids in the '80s often had their name on their t-shirt or visor/cap when they came to class. This was actually helpful on the first day of summer camp when 60 new kids showed up and mobbed the place.

Then, the idea of a stranger being able to approach the youngster and speak the young person's name caused some concern in the days of 'stranger danger'. Made perfect sense to me NOT to wear an identifying clothing item outside of the activity venue. NOW...(and for 10 or more years), families will have little caricatures and the names of EVERYone in the family stenciled on the back window of the family SUV !!! That seems to have incredible potential for danger, IMO.

As I think more about the graduation banners, I'm really glad it didn't catch on in our 'neighborhood' of 4000 homes covering TWO school districts and 'no telling' how many kids graduating each year!

Personally, I think a poster/banner at the swim/racquet club would suffice.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:35 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,201,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The difference is that your sign is in YOUR yard, not in the front of a subdivision, blocking the name of the community. I have also seen signs in yards all over, but not big banners in front of neighborhoods. I care because it is distracting to drivers.
If a driver is distracted by a white banner with a few names on it, they're in for a rude awakening when they get on the highway and surrounded by giant billboards as far as the eye can see.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,612,847 times
nm

Old 06-15-2012, 06:14 AM

22 posts, read 19,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post

It's more a celebration by black folks, it's a source of pride. But I didn't see them too much in Paterson, New Jersey or East Orange, and there are a lot of black folks there. Didn't see them in Baltimore or DC areas like PG neither.

More of a Southern thing is what I say. Down here in Atlanta they are everywhere.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM

842 posts, read 1,107,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaShonda Roberts View Post
It's more a celebration by black folks, it's a source of pride. But I didn't see them too much in Paterson, New Jersey or East Orange, and there are a lot of black folks there. Didn't see them in Baltimore or DC areas like PG neither.

More of a Southern thing is what I say. Down here in Atlanta they are everywhere.
I'm black and I actually have seen the opposite. I have always seen more banners in Cobb and Gwinnett than in DeKalb and Clayton. Also, the ones that I have seen in DeKalb tend to be the generic "Congratulations All Graduates" type of banners rather than the ones that list the names and schools. My subdivision is mixed and there is a banner up every year with the names and schools. It's definitely not just a "black" thing; others are definitely proud of their graduates as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,997,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
So funny you mention this. I have lived in Atlanta/Decatur for almost 10 years and I have never seen a graduation banner until this year! I noticed them while driving around in Roswell and John's Creek. I don't think I've ever seen one in Decatur, although I do see the little signs that say "Congratulations Decatur High School graduates" etc. without the list of names. Of course, we don't have many actual subdivisions in my area, anyway. I also never saw anything like this in my hometown back in Florida.

I don't have any strong feelings about them either way, I had just never seen such a thing until this year. I asked my friend who lives in Alpharetta and she said they have been common the whole time she has lived here (also going on a decade) but I don't think she had seen them before she moved to Atlanta, either.
My thoughts exactly. I don't see them as good or bad, just...interesting.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:48 PM

583 posts, read 426,022 times
*giggles at kirkwoodhipster's post on page 3*

real hipsters would make condescending remarks toward you for the simple that you are a hipster from the south. This has to be a parody account of some sort.

Ok, i'll stop being mean now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta