Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
You are supposed to graduate high school. That alone isn't an accomplishment.
I totally disagree with you. Part of being successful in life is establishing goals and milestones and achieving them. Success is not a destination but a journey.

Regardless of whether you go to college or you do something else, graduating high school is the completion of a part of your life and the achievement of a goal that should be celebrated. Maybe I just place way too much emphasis on personal achievement, but in my opinion it's a milestone that should be celebrated.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,180,202 times
Yeah, it's something to celebrate. It's a major rite of passage. No room for cynicism here.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:56 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I totally disagree with you. Part of being successful in life is establishing goals and milestones and achieving them. Success is not a destination but a journey.

Regardless of whether you go to college or you do something else, graduating high school is the completion of a part of your life and the achievement of a goal that should be celebrated. Maybe I just place way too much emphasis on personal achievement, but in my opinion it's a milestone that should be celebrated.
Well said.

I also agree with Box. When parents and the community celebrate a kid's graduation it shows that they care and that achievement is valued. I would have knocked down the door to get to any of my kids' high school graduation, and I don't mind admitting that I was bursting with pride when they crossed that stage.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,499 times
My comments are directed at the East Cobb signs that I see each day. If you are the first in your family to achieve a high school diploma that is certainly noteworthy and should be commended that you are trying to further your education beyond what has been your family's norm. I understand that and I would congratulate anyone in that situation. However, those graduating from an affluent community with all of the advantages int he World should not be commended and congratulated for doing what should be a minimum for them. Not achieving that level should be shamed rather than celebrating those that achieve that minimum. Don't set the bar that low because it breeds a false sense of accomplishment. Once you get out in the real world no one is going to congratulate you for meeting the bare minimum requirements. Time to toughen up America and get back the mentality of hard work that made this country great and not the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality that is hurting our country today.

To me this is similar to the Sweet 16 parties that have become popular. They do nothing but breed entitlement and a sense of accomplishment that isn't deserved. You have not accomplished a damn thing and yet parents are spending thousands and thousands of dollars to celebrate a 16th birthday. That is absurd. (I've seen it twice with my wife's cousins and it is sickening.)

Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,112 times
Quote:
My comments are directed at the East Cobb signs that I see each day. If you are the first in your family to achieve a high school diploma that is certainly noteworthy and should be commended that you are trying to further your education beyond what has been your family's norm. I understand that and I would congratulate anyone in that situation. However, those graduating from an affluent community with all of the advantages int he World should not be commended and congratulated for doing what should be a minimum for them. Not achieving that level should be shamed rather than celebrating those that achieve that minimum. Don't set the bar that low because it breeds a false sense of accomplishment. Once you get out in the real world no one is going to congratulate you for meeting the bare minimum requirements. Time to toughen up America and get back the mentality of hard work that made this country great and not the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality that is hurting our country today.

To me this is similar to the Sweet 16 parties that have become popular. They do nothing but breed entitlement and a sense of accomplishment that isn't deserved. You have not accomplished a damn thing and yet parents are spending thousands and thousands of dollars to celebrate a 16th birthday. That is absurd. (I've seen it twice with my wife's cousins and it is sickening.)
I know a lot of kids who are middle class to upper middle class who become burnouts and high school, and didn't graduate because they were use to being provided for. Even rich kids should be congratulated for graduating from high school.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
Even rich kids should be congratulated for graduating from high school.
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (that's one of those vinyl disks that plays music for all you 20 and 30 somethings), why does it have anything to do with rich, poor, black, white, middle class? It's an achievement and a stepping stone to hopefully better things. I'm a cynic, but I can't understand how someone can be cynical about the celebration of high school graduations.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Box

382 posts, read 661,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (that's one of those vinyl disks that plays music for all you 20 and 30 somethings), why does it have anything to do with rich, poor, black, white, middle class? It's an achievement and a stepping stone to hopefully better things. I'm a cynic, but I can't understand how someone can be cynical about the celebration of high school graduations.
I dont get it. For some reason this person thinks that people from lower economic backgrounds or so called lower economic classes are not expected to graduate, at least not as much as people who are well off. This is something that is simply not true, most of the drop outs that i do know dropped out against their parents wishes. The irony is most of my friends who dropped out came from backgrounds that were pretty stable economically.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
I've always thought those banners are charming. They express community pride and support for the young people at this important life transition. Every year as I drive by I recognize names I've picked up at my kid's school thinking "oh, so that's where the Xs live" or "lots of people matriculating to Georgia Southern this year." It's interesting.

This year my daughter's name is on a graduation sign at our subdivision entrance. We're in East Cobb too, so ours may even be one of the signs that has particularly pained gtcorndog. Who knew?

Happily for those sensitive individuals who are distressed by this shameless exhibitionism (even covering up subdivision names!) it'll all be over in a week or so, for another year.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,884,866 times
Quote:

Geeze, it's a right to passage into adult hood and people want to celebrate. How is "everyone" getting a trophy? People are supposed to walk to but I guess we shouldn't praise a child's first steps either? High horse much?

Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Wow! so cynical!

It isn't just about the students, the parents, or even the individual name... I kinda of see it as a community building thing too.

I can't help but to notice we establish ourselves by school clusters as often...if not more often than city limits or zip codes. I think its nice to kinda have a reason to show that across the whole area every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta