U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,090,866 times

Advertisements

Nowhere else do you see graduation banners like here.

I don't get it. So you graduated high school. Whooptey doo.
When you get through med school, then maybe.

I don't have kids.
Someone with kids tried explaining it to me once but I never really did understand. "It's for the parents, not the kids," he told me.

Whuh? It's not even for the kids?!!

I can understand a yard sign. But you drive down the street (it's a couple weeks past graduation by now) and there's a row of them tied up in front of every subdivision. A couple of them had actually covered up the subdivision's main sign with a banner.

My second question is why do non-subdivision homes tie them up in their yard but subdivision homes tie them up at the entrance of the subdivision? Why don't they tie them up in their yard too? Or why not tie them up along the downtown connector or as you come into the city if it is maximum exposure that you're shooting for?

I get such a kick out of the ones with pictures on it. I would be mortified if I had my mug tied up in front of the sub at that age. Gee thanks mom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:40 PM

855 posts, read 1,290,779 times
They do that everywhere, Even the small town that I'm from up north. This is nothing new

Old 06-11-2012, 06:03 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,514,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I don't have kids.
And it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Someone with kids tried explaining it to me once but I never really did understand. "It's for the parents, not the kids," he told me.

Whuh? It's not even for the kids?!!
Not sure about that, but High School graduation is one of those rights of passage for both the graduates and their parents. It signifies a new adventure as your child is no longer a child and now goes off to college or out in to the workforce. It's something to celebrate.

It's just a nice way to congratulate both the graduate and their parents. Don't know what you had for graduation, but we had a nice party for my daughter (as did several families in the subdivision for their kids).

Old 06-11-2012, 06:08 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,229,421 times
I had never seen the graduation banner thing until I moved here. I think it's great, but then again, I have kids!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 PM

20,895 posts, read 32,882,944 times
Um, maybe proud parents wanting to express themselves? Whats the problem?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:16 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
I never saw it either, until we moved to GA, but I thought it was a nice touch. Congratulations graduates!

Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,610,549 times
I understand the ones that have the little college logos next to the names because those are at least bragging about something. Hey, your kid is going to Duke, GT, or UVA and you are proud. Congrats. I get it. However the ones that lack that part are pointless IMO. You are supposed to graduate high school. That alone isn't an accomplishment.

I'm with the OP.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Box

382 posts, read 535,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I understand the ones that have the little college logos next to the names because those are at least bragging about something. Hey, your kid is going to Duke, GT, or UVA and you are proud. Congrats. I get it. However the ones that lack that part are pointless IMO. You are supposed to graduate high school. That alone isn't an accomplishment.

I'm with the OP.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
However the ones that lack that part are pointless IMO. You are supposed to graduate high school. That alone isn't an accomplishment.
Sometimes it is. I dropped out before graduation and it felt good to finish up. I've also been proud of my kids and others I have known who made it through high school. It's certainly not the pinnacle of education but I wouldn't take it for granted.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Box

382 posts, read 535,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sometimes it is. I dropped out before graduation and it felt good to finish up. I've also been proud of my kids and others I have known who made it through high school. It's certainly not the pinnacle of education but I wouldn't take it for granted.
Exactly. I have friend who dropped out and they're still kicking themselves about it. People should be happy that communities/parents celebrate when their kids graduate, hopefully it'll encourage other kids not to drop out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta