U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:27 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,309,011 times

Advertisements

Do you think he has been good for Atlanta? Do you plan on voting for him in the reelection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:01 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,407,605 times
Reed Administration Grows City of Atlanta’s Reserves to $94.4 Million

ATLANTA – The City of Atlanta has $94.4 million in its general fund reserves, an increase of $87 million since January 2010 when Mayor Kasim Reed was inaugurated. The audited data was released as part of the city’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2011.

One of the primary goals of the Reed administration is to restore the city’s fiscal health to ensure future growth and encourage greater economic investment by local, national and global companies. Mayor Reed, in partnership with the Atlanta City Council, has passed two budgets with cash surpluses that included funds to hire more than 400 police officers and open all of the city’s recreation centers for young people. Mayor Reed’s administration also reformed the city’s pension plan, enabling the city to continue investing in critical public safety and operational priorities, while strengthening the city’s fiscal position. The pension reform plan is expected to save the city more than $270 million over the next 10 years.

“By restoring the city’s fiscal strength, its leaders can focus on the safety and quality of life issues that matter most to residents and business owners,” said Mayor Reed. “I am proud that in the midst of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, the City of Atlanta has managed its finances in a manner that has led to the growth of the city’s reserve fund to $94 million from $7 million in two years. We have governed prudently, while also investing in public safety personnel and equipment, parks and recreation centers and transportation infrastructure – all without raising property taxes.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kasim Reed achievements:

1. The city’s audited cash reserves total about $70 million compared to $7 million when he took office. Reed said he anticipates that reserves will reach $90 million in the next 60 days, and he is optimistic that there will be $108 million in reserves — or 20 percent of the city’s budget — at the end of his first term.

2. The city was able to successfully enact pension reform. “City of Atlanta employees have really stepped up,” Reed said , adding that they are now covering 13 percent of the costs compared to 8 percent — which was placing a costly obligation on the city’s books.

3. During his term, the city has hired an additional 350 officers, and Reed said the city is on its way to adding 750 officers that would give it a total force of 2,000 officers — a goal that has eluded the city in the past.

4. Crime is down. For example, up to this moment, there have been fewer than 75 people killed in Atlanta so far this year. It is only the fifth time since Lyndon Baines Johnson was president that there have been fewer than 100 people murdered in one year.

5. The state and the city are working together on projects important to overall economy — including the deepening of the Port of Savannah and securing federal dollars for a major transportation project in Cobb and Cherokee counties.

6. The Atlanta region passed a $6.14 billion list of transportation projects — heralding a new day of regional cooperation. Now it is critical that voters go to the polls and pass a one-penny sales tax referendum on July 31, 2012.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 AM

22,177 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Reed has improved the cities' reserves, hired more officers towards the goal of 2000, and worked with the city employees on pension reform. He gets 2 thumbs up from me. The airport concession scandal was just some people who cried wolf and pointed fingers because they didn't get selected. Crime is down, business is up, and construction has started again in the city, eg: Buckhead, Atlanta, 2-20 story apartments under current construction in Midtown with a 3rd in planning stages. People are moving into the city in droves. Homes don't stay on the market long in my neighborhood, even the foreclosed and ones needing upgrades.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:22 AM

1,756 posts, read 4,921,162 times
He'll be vetted like all the previous Mayors, once he's out of office

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM

368 posts, read 415,035 times
So far he's been better than I expected. I was a supporter of Lisa Borders, but when she didn't make the runoff I reluctantly shifted my support to Reed, mainly because Mary Norwood was absolutely awful (did anyone see her in the debates? She would have been an awful mayor).

I've been generally impressed with the way the city is headed and which initiatives he's chosen to support. He's not perfect (see the airport concessions debate/scandal) but I'll happily vote for him again.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 AM

446 posts, read 512,771 times
He's done an excellent job of managing the city in my opinion, based on the tough challenges in this recession/down economy. He would have my re-election vote if I lived in the city.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM

444 posts, read 782,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
He's done an excellent job of managing the city in my opinion, based on the tough challenges in this recession/down economy. He would have my re-election vote if I lived in the city.
I agree.

Other than the misstep with the airport contracts, I'd say he's done an overall good job. I would give him an A- or a B+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,477,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post

4. Crime is down. For example, up to this moment, there have been fewer than 75 people killed in Atlanta so far this year. It is only the fifth time since Lyndon Baines Johnson was president that there have been fewer than 100 people murdered in one year.
Not sure what you're saying here.

We're only 1/2 way through the year, but we're 3/4 of the way to 100. Unfortunately, we're on track to be well over 100 murders by the end of the year.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Not sure what you're saying here.

We're only 1/2 way through the year, but we're 3/4 of the way to 100. Unfortunately, we're on track to be well over 100 murders by the end of the year.
This was from last year

Old 06-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Why do people keep bringing up the airport "scandal"

People believe anything they see on the news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or