U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:11 PM

284 posts, read 457,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
I agree. Can you imagine any neighborhood now, trying to establish a physical barrier between races? It's appalling to think about, but things in Atlanta were a lot different back then.
I lived at the end of feld ave in the late 90s just as things started to "gentrify"...it's still a surprise for me to go past Howard ave and see all the new shops. I remember leaving for work just before dawn and hearing the Muslim hop n shop owner sing morning prayers. He was shot in a robbery and the community, black and white, was outraged. I had mostly neighbors who were low - income but like anyone else, they too hated the petty crime, vagrants, and property theft associated with the gang banging elements of displaced denizens of " little Vietnam," the terrifying public housing war zone that was bulldozed. I remember getting the acorn flyers and some rather hateful letters from black politicians about gays+whites encroaching ( guess no one knew my demographic!).

When I moved to sw Atlanta ( not as an "urban pioneer," as my neighborhood has pristine homes/ yards/ old wealth; I just got tired of being next to piedmont park and wanted something affordable yet close to downtown), I was shocked to hear that a physical wall had been built, Berlin-style, not far from my home to keep blacks out during the initial white flight. There was even an article about it in time magazine (jan 18 1963). I cannot imagine what our older neighbors lived through (or anyone who had to live with Jim crow type laws/attitudes).

Cascade Heights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:23 PM

28,183 posts, read 24,739,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
I was shocked to hear that a physical wall had been built, Berlin-style, not far from my home to keep blacks out during the initial white flight. There was even an article about it in time magazine (jan 18 1963). I cannot imagine what our older neighbors lived through (or anyone who had to live with Jim crow type laws/attitudes).
Not Ivan Allen's finest hour. It was really more of a fence at the end of the street than a Berlin wall, but it was still an incredibly obnoxious and hurtful thing to do.

A good article on the episode in Atlanta Magazine.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:02 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,231,134 times
Quote:
had mostly neighbors who were low - income but like anyone else, they too hated the petty crime, vagrants, and property theft
Agree, as are most people no matter the income level want a safe area and not live in fear. Its amazing that some middle and upper class people think that low income and people living in public housing projects somehow want to be near the crime. They don't that's why when the Atlanta housing projects were torn down a lot moved to the suburbs. My neighbors, living in Kirkwood for decades, welcome the change of demographics and economics in the area because they know that it will get safer.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM

738 posts, read 1,120,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not Ivan Allen's finest hour. It was really more of a fence at the end of the street than a Berlin wall, but it was still an incredibly obnoxious and hurtful thing to do.

A good article on the episode in Atlanta Magazine.
Wow. Just...speechless.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:24 PM

28,183 posts, read 24,739,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
Wow. Just...speechless.
Yep. It was symbolic, of course, since folks could easily step over the fence or walk around it.

The real physical barriers were things like the railroads and interstate highways. To this day it can still be quite annoying to get from one side of I-20 to the other, especially on the west side.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 PM

284 posts, read 457,334 times
Quote:
Yep. It was symbolic, of course, since folks could easily step over the fence or walk around it.

The real physical barriers were things like the railroads and interstate highways. To this day it can still be quite annoying to get from one side of I-20 to the other, especially on the west side.
One of my neighbors said it was to prevent black families from driving into neighborhoods to look at white-owned houses...either way, an ugly reminder of where we were a century after slaves were freed.

And a--men on the interstate barriers. East and west, north and south. One of the more shocking things when I was younger was how Atlanta continued to build with disregard for old neighborhoods even recently (such as the exit onto I-20 E from langhorn that turned a neighborhood street into an on ramp, or the division of vine city from downtown with the dome). It is a good thing to see how proposed transportation initiatives will reconnect old communities and offer more convenient local access vs dumping everyone into a huge artery.
The proposed improvements are much more mindful of preserving the historic character of the neighborhood while offering much more accessibility by bike/walking.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM

252 posts, read 437,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So when something as ridiculous as how many white people live in an area being a measure of how gentrified a neighborhood is, you are all over it, but anytime race is ever brought up in other threads, people are instantly racist for talking about things that have nothing to do with race.

Hmmmm.......

Let's get this straight right here, right now: Does the number of white people who live in an area indicate how nice or gentrified the neighborhood is?

If so, then you can have this one.....but there are a million arguments that a million people on this board are about to lose.
absolutely

1. i never heard of koreans gentrifying a predominately iranian neighborhood
2. the only time a low majority (51-60%) black neighborhood gets nicer is when people with higher incomes and more education move in
or
u have a large set of people with a MASSIVELY different mindset of what a community should be AND THEY STICK TOGETHER to see the change happen. a fist always beats 5 fingers

awaiting for responses to kill me on this

Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM

252 posts, read 437,189 times
Quote:
Although it was adjacent to some black neighborhoods. Atlanta was so segregated in those days -- you could go a block or two and a neighborhood would suddenly be deemed black or white.

Oakland City wasn't seen as quite as hoity-toity as Kirkwood. It was almost all small bungalows and cottages, whereas Kirkwood has quite a few mansions.
haha, pittsburgh is like that. the real pittsburgh, that is

Old 06-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Box

382 posts, read 536,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adio View Post
absolutely

1. i never heard of koreans gentrifying a predominately iranian neighborhood
2. the only time a low majority (51-60%) black neighborhood gets nicer is when people with higher incomes and more education move in
or
u have a large set of people with a MASSIVELY different mindset of what a community should be AND THEY STICK TOGETHER to see the change happen. a fist always beats 5 fingers

awaiting for responses to kill me on this
So working class black people cant have nice neighborhoods? Can working class white people have nice neighborhoods? o.O

Old 06-20-2012, 10:15 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,490,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
So working class black people cant have nice neighborhoods? Can working class white people have nice neighborhoods? o.O
They can if the want it. No one stopping them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or