U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 AM

9,956 posts, read 6,959,813 times

Advertisements

Saporta Report article: BeltLine vision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 AM

139 posts, read 182,171 times
We need help from the entire city. If you feel so inclined, sign the petition, write or call your council person, donate to the legal fund (we need $10 from 3k residents - surely that many care enough to donate $10 or more), and spread the word.

Much is at stake for SE Atlanta and the entire Beltline here. Thanks!

Smart Growth Atlanta Email Your Council Members and Mayor Kasim Reed

Old 08-29-2013, 02:32 PM

Another update here: PATCH VOICES: 800 Glenwood Place

Key things:

Quote:
...we learned the ZRB vote of support from August 8 was voted on incorrectly by the ZRB committee members, so it is now null and void and considered a vote of "No Recommendation" from ZRB. This is the meeting where we made history with 600+ people in attendance.
However...

Quote:
We received votes of Support this week from both committee meetings so we are moving full speed ahead. We will definitely need many, many, MANY more people to show up on Tuesday [Sept 3 at 1pm] for the Full City Council Final Vote (the biggie!).

Last edited by jsvh; 08-29-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 AM

Glenwood Avenue rezoning proposal heads to City Council tomorrow for final vote | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

1pm today is the big vote. Get out and wear light blue to show support if you can.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM

727 posts, read 1,040,023 times
The rezoning passed 11-3

Old 09-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAubin View Post
The rezoning passed 11-3
Awesome news!

Old 09-04-2013, 11:44 AM

Glenwood Avenue update: Council rezones, Reed won't veto, legal challenge imminent | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Quote:
"Mayor Reed will not veto the rezoning ordinances. He thinks the City Council spoke clearly in favor of Councilwoman Carla Smith's legislation."
Challenges still remain. The developer threatening to sue:

Quote:
"I think every councilmember knows it was illegal," the developer says. "It's a sad situation. The vote sets a horrible precedent for development in the city."

The developer says he expects litigation to be filed very shortly, perhaps "within a couple weeks." It'll likely include his company, LaFarge, and possibly several retail tenants who had already signed leases and committed to the project.
And they still need to get the SAP reversed. This will go before council on October 10th: https://www.facebook.com/events/291017451041371/

Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 PM

104 posts, read 109,444 times
Fuqua is ensuring that every single one of his projects from here on out will be examined in extreme depth. Even if he wins here, he can look forward to never getting the benefit of the doubt from neighborhoods and NPUs on future projects.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillgineer View Post
Fuqua is ensuring that every single one of his projects from here on out will be examined in extreme depth. Even if he wins here, he can look forward to never getting the benefit of the doubt from neighborhoods and NPUs on future projects.
Yea, It just seems silly that the developer is not open to embracing the community. We are entirely willing to work with them. I think most would get on board with an urban style WalMart.

I am sure have retail tenants sign up behind Fuqua will be great publicity for their future customers in the area.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Behind a pay wall: Grant Park big-box development takes new turn with a pair of... | www.ajc.com

Basically the developer is suing the city for rezoning the property. Even though they should be able to start building unless the SAP is overturned at the hearing next week, they apparently are having trouble securing financing because of the zoning change now. So they are suing the city for taking property rights.

I say too bad. I can see how the court denying an already existing building permit could get legally hairy, if they do so next week. But the city has a right to change the zoning, your previous permits are grandfathered in, but the city has no duty to ensure you get financing for your project. But in my non-expert opinion this is going to be a tough one for the developer to win. Plus if they over turn the SAP next week, they will have two big legal hurdles to fight.

I am more annoyed by the way the developer is acting than anything, I support some of the developments and even parts of what they are trying to do here. But the way they are trying to bully the neighborhood instead of working with them makes me want to see every thing they do fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or