U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 03:19 PM

22,388 posts, read 16,401,424 times

Advertisements

Let's chain ourselves to trees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 PM

984 posts, read 1,436,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
We will see. You could be right. But they filed suit just a couple days ago, if they thought winning this was going to get them what they needed to build this then I am sure they would have filed suit. I think they won this battle but the war is not over yet.

It is pretty bad but to be honest, I don't think it is that terrible. I really don't like what it is but I am more annoyed with their un-willingness to work with the community. This will basically be a smaller version of where the whole foods is on ponce, and that area has done fine. And I think, even if this is built in as planned, in another 5-10 years there will be enough going on in the area and land value pressure to redevelop the center-surface-parking-lot block into a deck and mixed use.

Still. This is a zoning cluster-f* by the city. And should not happen.
That is one of the worst designed parking lots in the history of mankind, Sembler is a terrible developer as well. Edgewood is his best work, and it leaves a lot to be desired. Have you ever tried to park at the ponce location, or even the Publix on North Ave & Piedmont?

Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,656,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Huge disappointment. I don't know what's worse - that this awful suburban style proposal is deemed acceptable for the middle of Atlanta ON THE BELTLINE, or that the developer has such little regard for the neighborhood that he will continue full well knowing that there is barely a soul in the immediate area who wants his development to happen. I really don't understand why he wouldn't work with the neighborhood. What gets me even more is that he is a Virginia-Highland resident - so he lives intown, near the beltline, in an area that would just as vehemently oppose this development. To me, that is incredibly insulting.

This is a terrible addition to a historic, walkable neighborhood, and a terrible precedent for the Beltline. Pretty depressing all around.
This will just show that other developers can develop this type of suburbanized projects on the beltline. The city sucks at enforcing their own rules of zoning on the beltline. I hate Atlanta so much.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM

10,013 posts, read 7,010,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
That is one of the worst designed parking lots in the history of mankind, Sembler is a terrible developer as well. Edgewood is his best work, and it leaves a lot to be desired. Have you ever tried to park at the ponce location, or even the Publix on North Ave & Piedmont?
Oh, I agree. It is terrible and traffic will suck at this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531
I hate Atlanta so much.
Get out there and do something about it! Chain yourself to a tree like cqholt!

Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM
JPD

11,923 posts, read 14,577,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

It is pretty bad but to be honest, I don't think it is that terrible. I really don't like what it is but I am more annoyed with their un-willingness to work with the community. This will basically be a smaller version of where the whole foods is on ponce, and that area has done fine. And I think, even if this is built in as planned, in another 5-10 years there will be enough going on in the area and land value pressure to redevelop the center-surface-parking-lot block into a deck and mixed use.

Ponce and Glenwood are not similar areas. Ponce is a six lane road (or was when that development was built). Glenwood and Bill Kenndy are two lanes and both would be very difficult to widen, possibly forcing eminent domain of a lot of houses.

Last edited by JPD; 10-10-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-10-2013, 03:33 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Huge disappointment. I don't know what's worse - that this awful suburban style proposal is deemed acceptable for the middle of Atlanta ON THE BELTLINE, or that the developer has such little regard for the neighborhood that he will continue full well knowing that there is barely a soul in the immediate area who wants his development to happen. I really don't understand why he wouldn't work with the neighborhood. What gets me even more is that he is a Virginia-Highland resident - so he lives intown, near the beltline, in an area that would just as vehemently oppose this development. To me, that is incredibly insulting.

He does that while boasting on his website that he "improves areas." From his website: The “live, work, play” characteristic is what best describes the properties we develop as most of our projects include retail, restaurant, and residential spaces. Bringing these types of developments into a community improves the quality of life and enhances the neighborhood feeling that may not otherwise exist in these areas.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:35 PM

28,309 posts, read 24,933,558 times
Not everyone agrees that Fuqua's project is a bad idea.

Rev. Joe Beasley, southeast director for the Rainbow Push Coalition, argues that the Beltline may stimulate gentrification and push many low-income residents out of the area.
Quote:
Now comes an opportunity for the creation of jobs through this proposed development and a few are railing against it - not because it's a bad plan but because it's what their new constituents in a majority black district oppose. But who are they, really? And what do they know about economic depression? Soon a meeting of the City's Board of Zoning Adjustment will address the issues related to allowing this already-city-approved progressive development to take place. The opposition factors are well-organized behind their "good intentions" but they are so tragically misinformed about what this opportunity can mean to their neighbors and the urban communities.

New Atlantans will be the first to boast of the diversity that makes intown living so special. Yet, they may find themselves in an economically homogenous society once their neighbors are unable to bear the cost of having to travel far to find employment. Perhaps they are unaware that bringing business back to the city is one way to empower their less-well-off neighbors. The bucolic benefits of the BeltLine's plan may need to be re-examined closely for signs of discrimination against anyone who cannot afford the lifestyle it supports. Fortunately, some elected officials understand how creating jobs inside the Perimeter portends positive outcomes for the entire metro area.

More...UPDATE: BZA denies neighborhood association appeal over Fuqua's Glenwood Park project | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Old 10-10-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Rev. Joe Beasley, southeast director for the Rainbow Push Coalition, argues that the Beltline may stimulate gentrification and push many low-income residents out of the area.
Yea. His logic is flawed though. Most people are not against retail and jobs in the development. They just want it walk-able. And a walk-able job that does not require a car is better for an area low-income resident.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

His essay is built on the false premise that the neighborhood wants NO developoment and NO Wal Mart. But that's not true. The neighborhood welcomes both, but only if they are designed in a way that conforms to the Beltline Overlay. The Reverend either hasn't done his homework (easy to believe), or he's telling lies to further his agenda (also easy to believe).

Old 10-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Ponce and Glenwood are not similar areas. Ponce is a six lane road (or was when that development was built). Glenwood and Bill Kenndy are two lanes and both would be very difficult to widen, possibly forcing eminent domain of a lot of houses.
Yes, this is true. And we should not widen it. Traffic will help to choke off this development. You should have to walk or take a bike if you expect to get there without trouble, and measures should be put in place to ensure that the roads in the area are safe for walkers and bikers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or