Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:57 AM

749 posts, read 886,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One would hope that our elected officials would fight to uphold the city's carefully developed master plans, rather than leaving residents to battle wealthy developers on their own. Much less siding with said wealthy developers.
VERY good point. If I could use one word to describe what I saw at the appeal, it would be "Betrayal".

I guess Mayor Reed isn't as good of a friend to the Beltline as I had thought. I wonder if this is genuinely how he feels, or if he is distracted by the whole stadium fiasco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 AM

749 posts, read 886,781 times
Also, where is the Beltline in all of this?? Why are the people left to fight this all alone? Has Ryan Gravel and other key players done anything to try to stop this?

Old 10-11-2013, 11:13 AM

113 posts, read 180,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjedwards409 View Post
Assuming there isn't a fire sale on houses as soon as the development is built, how much could home values REALLY drop? (And I mean drop compared to now, not compared to hypothetical home values when the Beltline is complete) It will still be an intown neighborhood full of young families and a strong neighborhood association. IMO there will always be a market for that moving forward.
I think you have to look at it not in how much the values will drop compared to now but instead in comparison to a big box development with a large parking lot versus a walkable human scaled mixed use developments. The value over time is exponentially higher for what the neighborhood and the city would like to support. Getting the development character now is important to the overall neighborhood character later. This is evident in the public and private investment across Atlanta that has made improvements to sidewalks and streetscapes.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:17 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
The "city" does not have absolute control over this. I think the planning office is at fault and the elected officials could fire people over this as planning officials did not act in the best interest of the citizens. But the damage has been done.

The city did change the zoning, so undesirable future permits will get rejected. However, it will be interesting to see what approach can be used to stop this already approved SAP. Regardless, I think we are still going to court.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
VERY good point. If I could use one word to describe what I saw at the appeal, it would be "Betrayal".

I guess Mayor Reed isn't as good of a friend to the Beltline as I had thought. I wonder if this is genuinely how he feels, or if he is distracted by the whole stadium fiasco?
Well, to be fair, real estate developers tend to be powerful in local politics everywhere. They not only make big campaign contributions, they also make the pitch that they are bringing in desperately needed jobs and tax revenues. (It would be interesting to see how those numbers actually work out but that is the standard pitch).

In addition, they are able to argue that their opponents are a bunch of small minded NIMBYs standing in the way of progress. It's a free country, they say, and they have the right to put a contract on property and develop it to maximum monetary value.

The rub comes when they run up against land use and zoning regulations (such as the Beltline overlay). In most such situations the golden rule probably applies.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
The "city" does not have absolute control over this. I think the planning office is at fault and the elected officials could fire people over this as planning officials did not act in the best interest of the citizens. But the damage has been done.
Bear in mind that the planning department doesn't make policy. Their job is simply to implement the policies which are set by the mayor and council (presumably acting at the behest of the citizens).

The mayor and council can always override the recommendations of the planning department.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxbrame View Post
I think you have to look at it not in how much the values will drop compared to now but instead in comparison to a big box development with a large parking lot versus a walkable human scaled mixed use developments. The value over time is exponentially higher for what the neighborhood and the city would like to support. Getting the development character now is important to the overall neighborhood character later. This is evident in the public and private investment across Atlanta that has made improvements to sidewalks and streetscapes.
Yeah, this is right on the money. Well stated.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:57 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Bear in mind that the planning department doesn't make policy. Their job is simply to implement the policies which are set by the mayor and council (presumably acting at the behest of the citizens).

The mayor and council can always override the recommendations of the planning department.
I'm not sure that he does have that power. The mayor is not above the law. Not even zoning laws.

He cannot override the recommendations of the planning department if the zoning and law do not support it. And I think it will take a court to figure that out. And the mayor was not directly harmed by this zoning so he does not have standing to appeal the approval.

Yes, the Beltline overlay was intended to project a vision on what we wanted for the parcel, but it will take a a court to read it a determine if this project and its variances satisfy the legal requirements.

I am on your side. I live three blocks from this. And think it was clear what the citizens wanted. But, there were some errors made in getting this properly zoned. So all I am saying is it is not a slam dunk at all, it is a complex legal issue, that will take some fighting to win.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:06 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,078 times
I'm new to the discussion and I haven't read every post, so someone may have answered this already. I posed the question in a previous thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...kson-high.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...neighbors.html

But I was just wondering why/how the development will lower property values in nearby Grant Park and Glenwood Park if it is built in the manner that it is currently intended. And why can't it be designed to the "walkable" specifications of the residents? Why is the builder so unwilling to compromise? Lastly, could I get a quick crash course in how this affects the Beltline? Are we talking about the land across the street from Jackson High School?

Last edited by equinox63; 10-11-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 03:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I'm new to the discussion and I haven't read every post, so someone may have answered this already. I posed the question in a previous thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...kson-high.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...neighbors.html

But I was just wondering why/how the development will lower property values in nearby Grant Park and Glenwood Park if it is built in the manner that it is currently intended. And why can't it be designed to the "walkable" specifications of the residents? Why is the builder so unwilling to compromise? Lastly, could I get a quick crash course in how this affects the Beltline? Are we talking about the land across the street from Jackson High School?
Because Fuqua is: 1. Lazy 2. An A-hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta